Thumbs up to Y Goeden Eirin | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Thumbs up to Y Goeden Eirin

Postby RedGreenInBlue » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:06 pm

I meant to put up a quick post about this earlier in the week. Again, not so much a nervous encounter as a thoroughly enjoyable weekend.

Last weekend, we (my parents, and Rachael and I) went to stay in Y Goeden Eirin (The Plum Tree), a B&B near Caernarfon run by John and Eluned Rowlands. Diane (Tahl) has already written about it, but I'll second her comments: this is an excellent place to stay just because of the welcoming atmosphere (and the variety of artwork on the walls, and the lovely piano), but if you want somewhere to stay yn Gymraeg for the weekend, you can't do much better than here.

There are masses of Welsh-language books around the place - and by "masses", I mean "several tens of shelf-metres". I suppose that's not surprising as John is an authority in Welsh literature and the author of several novels and academic works, and Eluned is a member of Cymdeithas Cyfieithwyr Cymru (the professional body for Welsh-English translators). It was amusing to hear John relating the story of one couple who came to stay, who hadn't realised that Welsh was a living language, and who were boggling at all the books around the place. "But are they any good?" they asked, as if the only reason to write books in Welsh was as some sort of academic exercise.

I was a bit wary at first because here were two experts on the language I'm learning, but they're very easy-going and happy to spend some time chatting. I got to practise my Welsh on a range of subjects from Leanne Wood, to the control for the underfloor heating in the bathroom, to the imminent closure of an excellent restaurant nearby. Sadly I forgot to ask John to sign my copy of one of his novels. Oh well, I'll just have to go and stay again soon! :lol:

PS. Martha the Airedale terrier is very cute too :D

PPS. If you stay in the bedrooms in the separate beudy, be prepared to see a cow (a real one) gazing at you from a metre away while you're sitting on the loo… :shock:
Chaiff y chwyldro mo'i ddangos ar S4/C,
Ddim hyd yn oed wysnos ar ôl iddo ymddangos ar Sianel 4
efo cyflwyniad gan Melvyn Bragg…
Achos fydd y chwyldro ddim ar y teledu, gyfaill.
RedGreenInBlue
SSiW Member

Re: Thumbs up to Y Goeden Eirin

Postby Tahl » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:22 pm

RedGreenInBlue wrote:Last weekend, we (my parents, and Rachael and I) went to stay in Y Goeden Eirin (The Plum Tree), a B&B near Caernarfon run by John and Eluned Rowlands. Diane (Tahl) has already written about it, but I'll second her comments: this is an excellent place to stay just because of the welcoming atmosphere (and the variety of artwork on the walls, and the lovely piano), but if you want somewhere to stay yn Gymraeg for the weekend, you can't do much better than here.

Great, glad that you enjoyed Y Goeden Eirin and the Rowlands' company! For anyone else, my comments about my stay there last February are here, and here is an earlier post that links to details about the B&B & a Guardian review of it.

By the way, Y Goeden Eirin is the first and so far only place I've experienced slate floors with underfloor heating . . . in winter . . . It's a wonder I ever left. :smile:
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby Sionned » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:19 pm

Oh we stayed in a cottage with quarry-tile floors and under-floor heating. It was wonderful!
Please do read the forum guidelines - they're very short!
And let me know where you live, and I'll put you on the map!
Sionned
SSiW Angel

Postby Wil-ab-Eynon » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:32 pm

Sionned wrote:Oh we stayed in a cottage with quarry-tile floors and under-floor heating. It was wonderful!

Did that entail walking around in bare feet with a smile on your face??? :wink:
Wil-ab-Eynon
SSiW Member

Postby Sionned » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:39 pm

Sock feet, but yes! :D
Please do read the forum guidelines - they're very short!
And let me know where you live, and I'll put you on the map!
Sionned
SSiW Angel

Postby louise2cv » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:19 pm

Y Goeden Eirin is about 1minutes drive from my house! I better be on the look out for travelling SSiWers who might put me on the spot! :wink:

BTW, which restaurant is closing?
Been talking about learning for years, spurred on to actually do it because I had a baby, I'm determined she'll be bilingual!

Donating Breast Milk: find out more http://www.ukamb.org/about.html
louise2cv
SSiW Member

Postby RedGreenInBlue » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:49 pm

louise2cv wrote:Y Goeden Eirin is about 1minutes drive from my house! I better be on the look out for travelling SSiWers who might put me on the spot! :wink:

Happy to oblige, next time we stay there :D
louise2cv wrote:BTW, which restaurant is closing?

Rhiwafallen, in Llandwrog, next March. The couple who own and run it have apparently had enough of the stress of running a restaurant and accommodation after seven years (fair enough) and are moving away to somewhere near Chester. at the moment they're planning to keep it as a holiday let for 14 people(!), but the property is, or was recently, on sale for £500K.
RedGreenInBlue
SSiW Member

Postby Tahl » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:57 pm

RedGreenInBlue wrote:
louise2cv wrote:BTW, which restaurant is closing?

Rhiwafallen, in Llandwrog, next March. The couple who own and run it have apparently had enough of the stress of running a restaurant and accommodation after seven years (fair enough) and are moving away to somewhere near Chester. at the moment they're planning to keep it as a holiday let for 14 people(!), but the property is, or was recently, on sale for £500K.

Speaking of a site for a Northern Bootcamp . . . :geek:
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby RedGreenInBlue » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:14 pm

Tahl wrote:Speaking of a site for a Northern Bootcamp . . . :geek:

Yes - for a few minutes, we were tempted to up sticks and put in an offer :lol: (not entirely joking)
RedGreenInBlue
SSiW Member

Postby dinas » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:42 am

Llandwrog is a delightful village and the church is well worth a visit. Many of the older houses, cottages were build for the workers of Glynllifon estate - which is well worth a visit also. Lots of artisans work within the estate park. Sain records is also in the village...If anyones passing through it's a nice stop.

http://www.gwynedd.gov.uk/gwy_doc.asp?c ... Language=1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northwest/ou ... ifon.shtml
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

Next

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind