Conversation on a bus | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Conversation on a bus

Postby leiafee » Wed May 16, 2012 11:03 pm

That's lovely!
leiafee
SSiW Member

Postby Catrin Lliar » Thu May 17, 2012 6:33 am

Love your story Dee! It's heartwarming, encouraging and inspiring. It must have been a great feeling to be able to converse with an older gentleman freely in his native language and to be complimented by him on your efforts! What's wonderful as well is that he probably went home and shared the story excitedly with his friends and family also! :)
Northern course female voice. Raised in Pen Llŷn, fled when 18. Spent my 20s discovering the wider world. A qualified teacher (English & art), worked in marketing with small local businesses - gave it all up to become a Mam! A creative soul who inherited my family's artistic gene, love drawing, being behind the lens of a camera and being creative with food. Movies, red wine, dark chocolate help me relax. Always here to help!
Catrin Lliar
SSi Head of Events

Postby dinas » Thu May 17, 2012 6:39 am

Aran, who's the girl in the above photo?
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

Postby RedGreenInBlue » Thu May 17, 2012 7:57 am

Bendigedig, Dee! Thanks for sharing the story!

The great thing about public transport is the potential for random conversations with new people - combine that with SSiW and it becomes a truly mind-broadening experience… :D
Chaiff y chwyldro mo'i ddangos ar S4/C,
Ddim hyd yn oed wysnos ar ôl iddo ymddangos ar Sianel 4
efo cyflwyniad gan Melvyn Bragg…
Achos fydd y chwyldro ddim ar y teledu, gyfaill.
RedGreenInBlue
SSiW Member

Postby dinas » Thu May 17, 2012 11:39 am

dinas wrote:Aran, who's the girl in the above photo?

I was waiting for, Aran, to post a witty comment...Has he hasn't, I'll just say your new hairstyle suits you. Not that the old one didn't of course!
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

Postby gerryf » Thu May 17, 2012 11:50 am

Lovely story Dee,thanks for sharing it. :D
gerryf
SSiW Member

Postby Gorwelgwynedd » Thu May 17, 2012 12:55 pm

Agree with everyone. What a great story, Dee!
Gorwelgwynedd
SSiW Member

Postby Catrin Lliar » Thu May 17, 2012 1:33 pm

dinas wrote:
dinas wrote:Aran, who's the girl in the above photo?

I was waiting for, Aran, to post a witty comment...Has he hasn't, I'll just say your new hairstyle suits you. Not that the old one didn't of course!

It's taken quite a while for him to grow it out, but I think despite his reservations it suits him and isn't in the least bit feminine. :wink:
Northern course female voice. Raised in Pen Llŷn, fled when 18. Spent my 20s discovering the wider world. A qualified teacher (English & art), worked in marketing with small local businesses - gave it all up to become a Mam! A creative soul who inherited my family's artistic gene, love drawing, being behind the lens of a camera and being creative with food. Movies, red wine, dark chocolate help me relax. Always here to help!
Catrin Lliar
SSi Head of Events

Postby SJ » Thu May 17, 2012 5:53 pm

What a brilliant story Dee! You must have felt like flying home once you got off the bus. Its always great when someone tells you that you speak a lanuage like a native! :star:

Looking forward to seeing your tomorrow at Clwb y Diwc!
Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Please read the forum guidelines - they're short and sweet!
Put up a poster - Spread the word!
Follow me on Twitter @Cymraes24
SSiW Cardiff Coffee Morning - 3rd Saturday of every month at Coffee #1, Wood Street, Cardiff
SSIW Cardiff Weekly meet-up - Every Monday evening, 7pm Mochyn Du
SJ
Gorsedd SSiW

Postby bontddu » Sat May 19, 2012 3:27 am

Dee wrote:I had an old man sit next to me on the bus coming back from Newport today. I was fiddling around with my mp3 player trying to make it work as it's broken, and he asked what it was and if it played music. I explained that it could but that I listened to my Welsh lessons on it and he immediately switched into Welsh!
It turned out he was an old retired sheep farmer, but he lives in the Bridgend area now. He spoke real rural-sounding Welsh mixed with English, quite funny the way he dropped in and out of both languages, but we chatted about New Zealand and sheep shearing for a good 20 minutes, then he said "Diw diw, ti'n gafael ar yr iaith like a native". That really made me laugh "You have a grip on the language like a native". Who needs the Welsh Learner of the Year competition when you get a compliment like that from a real old traditional country Welshman? I felt like I'd won first prize :)

Good for you - that is why we're all learning Welsh right there on that bus!
bontddu
SSiW Member

Previous

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind