Small Beginnings | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Small Beginnings

Postby Dee » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:39 pm

I just got back to Cardiff after a trip which involved driving up through the Breacon Beacons to Dolgellau for one night, then on to Blaenau Ffestiniog, Bangor and Conwy on my way to Chester. I was really really hoping to try out my Welsh, but I was travelling with my brother who didn't want to stop very long anywhere so it was a little tricky. I tried "Bore da" on a few people we met when we stopped for a break, but only got "Hello" or a smile back in return. The woman that ran the B&B near Dolgellau didn't speak Welsh, nor did the Polish girl that waited on our table at dinner. However the lovely girl selling tickets to the slate mine at Blaenau Ffestiniog did!!! I managed "Shwmae" then "Oes student discount gyda chi?" which made her smile and she replied in slow, clear Welsh. She gave directions to the mine entrance, which I understood, though she repeated them in English because my brother was standing there speaking English to her. Then when I said "Dw i'n dysgu Cymraeg" she said "Chi'n siarad Cymraeg yn dda iawn", or something like that, which gave me a real buzz.

Unfortunately after that I just kept bumping into people that didn't speak Welsh - even an elderly woman dressed in traditional clothing at the Smallest House in Britain in Conwy. I was sure she would, and I started talking to her with quite a lot of confidence, but just got "Sorry?" then "Oh I don't speak Welsh. The other ladies do but they're not here", so it was a little disappointing, but I did notice that I felt a lot more confident trying and I'm sure when I don't have to race through on such a quick trip I will have more opportunities and it will be much better.
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Re: Small Beginnings

Postby jaypcymru » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:58 pm

Hi, Dee

Sounds like your trip was fantastic, even though you didn't get to use as much Welsh as you'd have liked. I love going through the Brecon Beacons to visit family, cant say I've been as far up as Dolgellau and the likes though.

I don't get much of a chance to try out my Welsh out and about around here, not many people speak Welsh :sad: .. I keep going around saying Helo and Shwmae (S'mae?.. I've seen it spelled a few ways), but i just seem to get blank puzzled faces :lol:. Can't wait until i pass my driving test and can go and get myself lost somewhere in deepest Wales :razz:

Jay
Please feel free to correct my Welsh.
jaypcymru
SSiW Member

Postby Emma Reese » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:05 am

Go to Llanberis and stay at Marteg! The couple who run the place are Welsh speaking. Their rooms are lovely and the breakfast yummy! Or stay at Rhydydefaid in Frongoch near Bala. I didn't stay there but spent pleasant time one afternoon. The owners are of course Welsh speaking.
Emma Reese

Postby Aran » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:38 am

That sounds like a great start, Dee - llongyfarchiadau mawr!...:D

And every step you take will make it that little bit easier...:D
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Dee » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:40 am

Diolch everyone! At least it's made me more confident to try here in Cardiff. If I keep asking shopkeepers "Ychi'n siarad Cymraeg?" I must find a few eventually :D
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby Emma Reese » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:36 pm

Better yet, start speaking Welsh by assuming the shopkeeper speaks Welsh. After all, what's wrong with speaking Welsh in Wales? If he doesn't, what is there to lose? In that way, you can carry on in Welsh naturally if the shopkeeper is a Welsh speaker without explaining you're a learner etc.
Emma Reese

Postby vyvienn » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:29 pm

There's a place near Mermaid Quay that sells fresh Welsh cakes (oh...my...god!), and in the back near the soap, we met a young lady who works there who speaks Welsh. If you happen to go there, perhaps you can check that they don't run out of laverbread (yup, found it there!). :smile:
vyvienn
SSiW Angel

Postby Dee » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:34 pm

Thanks for the tip Steffi! I get down to the Bay sometimes so I'll have to go in there and check :D
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby SJ » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:23 pm

Well done Dee. It sounds like you had a great teip even if you didn't get the chance to speak much Welsh.

There are more welsh speakers in Cardiff, I think they are just hiding! :wink: Have you been to C@ban yet? Everyone speaks welsh there. :D
Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Please read the forum guidelines - they're short and sweet!
Put up a poster - Spread the word!
Follow me on Twitter @Cymraes24
SSiW Cardiff Coffee Morning - 3rd Saturday of every month at Coffee #1, Wood Street, Cardiff
SSIW Cardiff Weekly meet-up - Every Monday evening, 7pm Mochyn Du
SJ
Gorsedd SSiW

Postby Dee » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:38 pm

Rugbygal wrote: Have you been to C@ban yet? Everyone speaks welsh there. :D

Actually yes, I bought a card from there a few weeks back and the woman spoke to me straightaway in Welsh. I managed a few sentences which I was very happy about, though I struggle to catch the amount to pay. I presume she started off in Welsh as I had bought a Welsh birthday card :smile:
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind