What helps you speak Welsh? | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: What helps you speak Welsh?

Postby Iestyn » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:38 pm

Will you want old bread or young bread? Because the cheese was old when we did the bread, so the old bread isn't very good...
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby Sionned » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:53 pm

Iestyn wrote:Will you want old bread or young bread? Because the cheese was old when we did the bread, so the old bread isn't very good...

But that would just be the cheese bread, I suppose. Perhaps the rye bread would be better...
Please do read the forum guidelines - they're very short!
And let me know where you live, and I'll put you on the map!
Sionned
SSiW Angel

Postby carungo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:03 pm

Helpful :
Anyone who listens slowly and patiently while I try and find the words instead of finishing the thought for me in Welsh or English.
Anyone who can express things simply and clearly matching the pace to the learner (take a bow, RobB!)
Situations where I HAVE to speak Welsh or lose face ! Being immersed in it.
Talking to the elderly :I have found the generation that were discouraged from Welsh in their youth will sometimes gladly listen, even if they respond in English, and they dont mind the slow pace.*
Being with people at mixed levels of competence e.g. at bootcamp- stretches your (mis)understanding and vocabulary even if much is lost.
Singing, poetry. You get the rhythm of the language.
Unhelpful:
Being in a rush, e.g. in a queue.
Being slightly drunk (brain slows )
Being in a noisy pub - can't hear, can't be heard, give up, tune out.

*A thought: we need a Great Awakening, a campaign to get rusty Welsh speakers in Wales proud enough to get back to USING their Welsh more, and those native Welshspeakers who live outside Wales and never use their Welsh, to meet up with and support learners in their area.
carungo
SSiW Member

Previous

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind