Learning Welsh on the Holyhead to Dublin ferry | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Learning Welsh on the Holyhead to Dublin ferry

Postby Lostontheoggin » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:57 pm

I work as a Ships Officer on the Stena Adventurer which operates between Holyhead and Dublin. This January I decided to take seriously learning Welsh. My wife describes herself as rusty A Level standard and we've chosen welsh medium education for our children. I bought the Rosetta Stone cd years ago and It sat in a box in the spare room gathering dust. So I dug it out and started taking it to work with me and tried to do a half an hour lesson each day. I found it really usefull for learning the names of things, see a picture of something and I pick up instantly what it is. But I found it very difficult to pick up the conversational aspect.

Fortunately over half the crew on the Adventurer are Welsh speakers and everyone has been really helpful in teaching me little things each day. Then I found say something in welsh and was able to download it onto my Iphone, everywhere I go I have the lessons with me and I can snatch a quick 10 minutes hear and there and everywhere. As you can imagine this has helped me come on in leaps and bounds.

My Sailors do however take a special pleasure in teaching me the rude words. I chatted with Aran on the Gwlad Rugby forum about this and thought you all might appreciate how you can learn welsh in the strangest of places thanks to this course.
Lostontheoggin

Re: Learning Welsh on the Holyhead to Dublin ferry

Postby Tahl » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:19 pm

Lostontheoggin wrote:I work as a Ships Officer on the Stena Adventurer which operates between Holyhead and Dublin. This January I decided to take seriously learning Welsh.

Croeso, Gareth -- very interesting story, & it sounds like doublechecking the words the crew "teach" you is definitely the way to go! That's quite a ship, from what I see online. I've never been on a ferry anywhere close to that nice. Wonder if I'd want to get off once I'd reached my destination?
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby Iestyn » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:45 pm

That's brilliant, Gareth. We Welsh are known for our sense of humour, which we are also known for deploying at the expense of the innocent. I bet the rest of the crew try it on on a regular basis!

Sounds like you've got the course pretty much stitched up there, so all the best with it, and we'll look forward to hearing of your further adventures. Make sure that if you use any words that the crew have explained to you that you check first. This is, after all, a family site... :wink:
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby Sionned » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:17 pm

Welcome to SSiW, Gareth! Sounds like you've made good progress.

I must admit, I am tempted to put a marker on our map for you somewhere between Holyhead and Dublin! :mrgreen: But I'm guessing, when you aren't on the ferry, that you and your family live somewhere around Holyhead? Let me know if you want your marker more specifically located. :D
Please do read the forum guidelines - they're very short!
And let me know where you live, and I'll put you on the map!
Sionned
SSiW Angel

Postby Lostontheoggin » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:47 pm

Although I spend 24 weeks a year on the ship I live in Cardiff, Llandaff to be precise. Which gives my North Walian Crew even more ammunition. However if it can be done a little marker in the Irish sea would be great.
Lostontheoggin

Postby Sionned » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:11 pm

Cool! :D So I've given you two markers. The one in the Irish Sea is placed right on Google's track of the ferry (dunno how accurate that may be) about halfway between Holyhead and Dublin. The other is in Llandaff (Don't worry, you aren't the only one with two. Some people who are away at school half the time, and things like that, also have more than one.) If you would like the location of the Llandaff one adjusted any, let me know. (There's a link to the map on the grey bar at the top of the page...)
Sionned
SSiW Angel

Postby Aran » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:48 am

Welcome to the forum, Gareth! That just became my number one favourite location marker...:D

And we have two learners on the Isle of Man?! I'd never noticed that...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Lostontheoggin » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:21 am

I had a conversation with Huw the receptionist on the Adventurer this evening, I usually pop by after we sail to hand in the passenger figures for the 0230 and 0820 sailings. In order for me to practice times and no's we do this in Welsh. Tonight I had a cadet following me around the ship for familiarisation. I did the whole conversation in Welsh using only one word of English and thats freight. The Cadet just stood there gobsmacked as we spoke to each other, I really felt quite proud of myself.
Lostontheoggin

Postby Sionned » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:05 am

Llongyfarchiadau! Well done you! :star: :star: :star: There will be no stopping you now. :D
Sionned
SSiW Angel

Postby Aran » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:32 am

Lostontheoggin wrote: I did the whole conversation in Welsh using only one word of English and thats freight. The Cadet just stood there gobsmacked as we spoke to each other, I really felt quite proud of myself.

Absolutely bloody brilliant! Llongyfarchiadau mawr! I love the sound of a new Welsh-speaker being born...:wink:

You've done it, Gareth - you really have done it. From now on, it's just a matter of enjoying using your Welsh more and more often. Many, many congratulations...:star:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Next

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind