Just a few words, but a giant leap for me! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Just a few words, but a giant leap for me!

Postby catflap » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Tried out my first bit of Welsh on a colleague today - 15 years into the job!

I'd spent the previous evening wrestling with all the "I will", "I won't" of lesson 6.1 in course 1 and flushed with success I tried out a couple of nervous sentences on a Welsh speaker I work with. Nothing very complicated, but a massive step for me. And the best bit of all. He understood first time! No nervous frowning as he tried to make sense of my butchering of his language, just a nice smile and a compliment on my pronunciation - makes me wonder why I didn't speak up years ago.... Ah yes, I remember now. It's because of SaySomethinginWelsh! I've only been at it for two weeks but already it's working wonders for me.

Thank you so much for putting the course together and supporting those who try it.

Steve
In the midst of Course 2 southern, just reach lesson 25, but am going back through a few earlier lessons and taking a run-up at it.
catflap
SSiW Member

Re: Just a few words, but a giant leap for me!

Postby essenbee » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:04 pm

:llongyf: Well done for getting out there and speaking your Welsh! The SSiW lessons are great but there is no substitute for conversations with other Welsh speakers. Its impressive that you plucked up the courage to speak so soon, da iawn. I just got back from an SSiW local meetup, and its amazing how actually conversing in Welsh boosts your confidence and your determination to learn more and improve.

Hwyl,

Stu
Ar hyn o bryd, dw i'n astudio: Cwrs 3 Gwers 20 (fersiwn y Gogledd)
Yn ddiweddar, dw i wedi bod yn gwrando ar Meinir Gwilym
Beth ydw i'n darllen? Alecs Rider 1: Tarandon
Fel 'na ma' i a fel 'na fydd hi
essenbee
SSiW Member

Postby Dee » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:48 am

Congratulations Steve! That first step is truly a huge one and you did well to plunge in. So now you just need to keep the momentum going.

I see that you live in Cardiff. You would be very welcome to join us in the Mochyn Du on a Monday night at 7pm, or at the monthly meetup in Coffee #1 on the 3rd Saturday of the month between 10.30 and noon. The next one is coming up on July 20th. We get all levels of speakers along so you would fit right in :D
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby Elizabeth Jane » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:34 am

Ah yes, I remember now. It's because of SaySomethinginWelsh! I've only been at it for two weeks but already it's working wonders for me

And long may it continue - :llongyf: As, I know it will.
Elizabeth Jane
http://hannercymraes.blogspot.com

Please feel free to correct my Welsh
Elizabeth Jane
SSiW Member

Postby Arianrhod » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:21 am

That's brilliant. Looking forward to hearing your progress.
Wastad yn siarad Cymraeg... i'r hen, hen gi.
(southern version) Cwrs 3 Gwers 23
Arianrhod
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:20 pm

catflap wrote:I've only been at it for two weeks but already it's working wonders for me.

Sounds as though you're off to a fantastic start - and having that much courage that early in the process is a great sign that you're going to end up a very confident speaker...:)

:seren:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby RedGreenInBlue » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:37 pm

Only two weeks in, and already trying out your Welsh on first-language speakers? Niiiiiice :cool: :star:
catflap wrote:…and a compliment on my pronunciation…

This is one of the big advantages of SSiW, I think. The fact that you're learning by listening regularly and frequently to two people (Iestyn and Cat, I presume) means you're bound to internalise their pronunciation. And I think many learners get self-conscious about their accent - so getting that sort of feedback (and so early on!) is a real motivator.
Chaiff y chwyldro mo'i ddangos ar S4/C,
Ddim hyd yn oed wysnos ar ôl iddo ymddangos ar Sianel 4
efo cyflwyniad gan Melvyn Bragg…
Achos fydd y chwyldro ddim ar y teledu, gyfaill.
RedGreenInBlue
SSiW Member

Postby catflap » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Many thanks for all your encouragement. Every little helps! And thanks also to Dee for the invitation to join the group at Mochyn Du. I think that's something I still need to work up to a bit, although it's definitely a goal I have in my sights.
In the midst of Course 2 southern, just reach lesson 25, but am going back through a few earlier lessons and taking a run-up at it.
catflap
SSiW Member

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind