Why I want to become fluent in Welsh | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Everyone has their own, interesting answer...

Why I want to become fluent in Welsh

Postby dkoert » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:26 pm

There is an old, somewhat arrogant joke. What do you call someone who speaks only one language? An American. Even though I speak enough French to communicate as a tourist in France, I really only speak one language. I want to change before it is too late. Ancestry and family members give me connections to Welsh and Dutch. Both languages are arguably close to English so I want to become fluent in both. One at a time is best I think, so I chose Welsh.

David
Last edited by dkoert on Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dkoert

Re: Why I want to become fluent in Welsh

Postby Dee » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:39 pm

Welcome to the forum, David! You've come to the right place - not only will you learn Welsh, but you'll have fun doing it :D

Any questions, just post here on the forum and someone will be along before you know it.

Dee
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby Tahl » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:58 pm

dkoert wrote:Ancestry and family members give me connections to Welsh and Dutch. Both languages are arguably close to English so want to become fluent in both. One at a time is best I think, so I chose Welsh.

Great, croeso (welcome)! I've never thought that Welsh is all that close to English -- it's very different in grammatical structure -- but that just makes it fun. :D
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby lambiek » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:21 pm

dkoert wrote:There is an old, somewhat arrogant joke. What do you call someone who speaks only one language? An American. Even though I speak enough French to communicate as a tourist in France, I really only speak one language. I want to change before it is too late. Ancestry and family members give me connections to Welsh and Dutch. Both languages are arguably close to English so want to become fluent in both. One at a time is best I think, so I chose Welsh.

David

Don't hold back, get on to the Dutch lessons, as well! :wink:
Mae syniadau gwyrddion di-liw yn cysgu'n wyllt
lambiek
SSiW Member

Postby AmyJ » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:53 pm

I'm not sure how to insert an image but according to this map thing of lexical distance, Welsh and English are relatively close (in some way that the map thing doesn't really specify but is still interesting!) :)

http://25.media.tumblr.com/f3a8353cc910 ... 1_1280.jpg
"The sky is cold and the floor water is too hard to drink, but I have my handcoats and the spacelight is warm. Listen - the flappy planes are beeping in the stick towers."
"Those are all the wrong words for those things."
"Maybe. But the things themselves are alright, so who cares?"

-xkcd
AmyJ
SSiW Member

Postby lambiek » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:10 pm

AmyJ wrote:I'm not sure how to insert an image but according to this map thing of lexical distance, Welsh and English are relatively close (in some way that the map thing doesn't really specify but is still interesting!) :)

A very interesting map, thanks Amy! I think the greater the number, the greater the lexical distance, which is defined as the degree of overall vocabulary divergence (says Wikipedia). It measures how many words are in common. That is why there is a link between English and Welsh (but not, say, Greek), and between French and Breton, and a thicker line between Breton and Welsh..

It does not indicate syntax and grammar differences.
Mae syniadau gwyrddion di-liw yn cysgu'n wyllt
lambiek
SSiW Member

Postby Lurch2 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:36 pm

The lines seem a bit random. A line between Welsh and English, between Breton and French, and between Irish and... Portuguese?

The line between Welsh and English actually shows the maximum lexical distance which can be marked- equal to or over 71, whatever that may mean. If there are no lines connecting, this presumably means there was no data to be had, rather than there is no connection whatsoever! I mean, there is no line connecting Breton and "Ga"(presumably Scots Gaelic).

However, it is difficult to tell. It seems to come from this site-

http://elms.wordpress.com/2008/03/04/lexical-distance-among-languages-of-europe/

Which doesn't really explain it any better, as far as I can see. The data apparently comes from a paper by a K Tyshchenko, published "in Russian". No further details.
Please feel free to correct my Welsh. My English, however, is beyond all hope.

Lurch2
SSiW Member

Postby dkoert » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:15 am

AmyJ wrote:I'm not sure how to insert an image but according to this map thing of lexical distance, Welsh and English are relatively close (in some way that the map thing doesn't really specify but is still interesting!) :)

Thank you for the link to the lexical map, Amy.

David
Pan fydd y meddwl yn cyfarwyddo'r corff i ufuddhau i'r corff yn ufuddhau. Pan fydd y meddwl yn cyfarwyddo ei hun i ufuddhau ei fod yn cwrdd gwrthsafiad.
dkoert

Return to Why are you learning Welsh?