Cardiff Uni weekend courses - 20 April 2013 | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Cardiff Uni weekend courses - 20 April 2013

Postby DavidHT » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Hello all,

http://welshforadults.cardiff.ac.uk/learning/weekend-courses

Spotted this on my internet travels today, Saturday courses at Cardiff Uni on 20 April 2013, for multiple ability levels (Mynediad, Sylfaen, Canolradd, Uwch). Hope someone finds this interesting.
David HT
I reached (southern) cwrs 2 gwers 18, and struggled. Went back to the beginning of course 2, by way of revision, and light relief! Currently revising gwers 9.
Please feel free to correct my Welsh, and if you can explain why that's even better!
Currently doing Mynediad 2 at evening classes.
DavidHT
SSiW Member

Re: Cardiff Uni weekend courses - 20 April 2013

Postby DavidHT » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:22 pm

Now I've started talking to myself. First sign of madness. If anybody is going to the Mynediad course on 20 April 2013, then I'll see you there.
David HT
I reached (southern) cwrs 2 gwers 18, and struggled. Went back to the beginning of course 2, by way of revision, and light relief! Currently revising gwers 9.
Please feel free to correct my Welsh, and if you can explain why that's even better!
DavidHT
SSiW Member

Postby Silverfang » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:51 pm

Have you ever been to one before?

Is there anyone that has a guideline for which course you should enrol in based on how far through the SSIW course you are? For example I've finished the first course most of the vocab, have recently taken a break and am starting the second course, any idea what course I should go for if I can fit the day in to my schedule.

Diolch

Matt.
Silverfang
SSiW Member

Postby DavidHT » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:14 am

Silverfang wrote:Is there anyone that has a guideline for which course you should enrol in based on how far through the SSIW course you are? For example I've finished the first course most of the vocab, have recently taken a break and am starting the second course, any idea what course I should go for if I can fit the day in to my schedule.

I emailed them to ask which course I should do, and they were very helpful, so it's worth a shot. If nothing else I get to speak Welsh (and hear it live) in lovely Cardiff.
David HT
DavidHT
SSiW Member

Postby DavidHT » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:46 am

I had a brilliant day in Cardiff. The course was interesting, challenging and fun. I met some lovely people, and unexpectedly, was lucky enough to have a tour of the Senedd building, including going into the chamber. Learnt loads, it's given me a badly needed kick-start back into my Welsh.
David HT
DavidHT
SSiW Member

Postby Dee » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:46 am

psicorps wrote:I had a brilliant day in Cardiff. The course was interesting, challenging and fun. I met some lovely people, and unexpectedly, was lucky enough to have a tour of the Senedd building, including going into the chamber. Learnt loads, it's given me a badly needed kick-start back into my Welsh.

Brilliant! Good to hear that you enjoyed it. How did you find the level? Usually SSiWers find that they may not have the range of vocabulary that the learners from the "standard" Welsh classes have, but they have other structures they can use, like the "nes i, nest ti" patterns, that make their conversation more fluent, and often they have a little more confidence to use their Welsh. How was your experience?
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby DavidHT » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:58 am

Dee wrote:
psicorps wrote:I had a brilliant day in Cardiff. The course was interesting, challenging and fun. I met some lovely people, and unexpectedly, was lucky enough to have a tour of the Senedd building, including going into the chamber. Learnt loads, it's given me a badly needed kick-start back into my Welsh.

Brilliant! Good to hear that you enjoyed it. How did you find the level? Usually SSiWers find that they may not have the range of vocabulary that the learners from the "standard" Welsh classes have, but they have other structures they can use, like the "nes i, nest ti" patterns, that make their conversation more fluent, and often they have a little more confidence to use their Welsh. How was your experience?

There were indeed gaps in my vocabulary, but I didn't let this stand in my way, and neither did the tutor. Conversely I found I knew things that the others didn't. Whilst most in the class were revising some things, I was learning them for the first time. But I wasn't the only one, and my classmates and the tutor were very accommodating.

We revised the verb 'bod' in the present tense, in the form of questions, statements, and the appropriate yes and no forms too. Then we looked at possession (my house, her car, etc). After lunch we looked at commands, which followed on nicely to giving directions. Finally we had a listening and a writing exercise.

It was fun, well paced and run by completely bilingual staff. I can't recommend their courses highly enough.
David HT
DavidHT
SSiW Member

Postby Dee » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:07 am

It sounds like you had a really worthwhile time, and I'm sure the tutors from Welsh for Adults would be very pleased to hear that. They certainly make a lot of effort to hold those one day sessions.
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby DavidHT » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:13 am

Dee wrote:It sounds like you had a really worthwhile time, and I'm sure the tutors from Welsh for Adults would be very pleased to hear that. They certainly make a lot of effort to hold those one day sessions.

I made sure I sang their praises on the feedback form, and I won't hesitate to book another course with them in future.
David HT
DavidHT
SSiW Member

Return to Cardiff (and the Vale of Glamorgan)