2 day course - 3 and 4 January 2014 | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Re: 2 day course - 3 and 4 January 2014

Postby catflap » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:09 pm

Have to confess I've been having misgivings about picking up the formal learning approach beside SSiW since I signed up; something hasn't felt right and the thought-provoking comments on here have helped me narrow down what's bugging me.

I can see the point about one approach getting in the way of the other, but that hasn't been the clincher. The main point I've arrived at is that SSiW has made learning fun for me. I look forward to the learning and I use it to relax (even when it's frustrating, paradoxically). It's enriched life. The 2 day course was great but it was tough and tiring – useful, but tough. Do I really want to feel like I've taken on another burden at the end of the working day? Probably not. It isn't just about learning the language, it's about how to spend leisure time (even though with SSiW I'll end up putting more of my leisure time into learning than I would on the evening class alone).

I'm not saying I don't think it's worth doing these short courses occasionally as a way of exploring a wider language-learning world (I'm still booked up to a week in Nant Gwerthyrn later in the year - wooo hooo!), but the longer courses don't feel right at the moment. Will now be doing some graceful back-pedalling with Cardiff University... :oops:
In the midst of Course 2 southern, just reach lesson 25, but am going back through a few earlier lessons and taking a run-up at it.
catflap
SSiW Member

Postby Tahl » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:18 pm

catflap wrote:The main point I've arrived at is that SSiW has made learning fun for me. I look forward to the learning and I use it to relax (even when it's frustrating, paradoxically). It's enriched life. The 2 day course was great but it was tough and tiring – useful, but tough. Do I really want to feel like I've taken on another burden at the end of the working day? Probably not.

This is *so* important. I've told a bunch of tutors that I've met at the Eisteddfod and elsewhere that I think the single most important thing in making people want to carry on with Welsh is making them (legitimately) feel successful at each stage along the way. It's what hooked me on SSIW. Every single lesson gave me something I could quickly use, even if only in muttering to myself on my walk to work.

Interestingly, I've never gotten a reaction from a tutor (beyond Aran, Iestyn, Cat, & Catrin) of the "oh yes, I understand what you mean" variety.
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby dinas » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:19 pm

karengo wrote:Dinas, we're at similar levels in SSiW. Uwch-level events are working well for me at the moment. Yesterday the main challenge was to give short presentations on pictures we'd brought along. There was some poetry reading (Waldo Williams), and watching/discussing a bit of a documentary. Friday we did a lot more deciphering of song lyrics. Depending on the tastes of the tutor, discussion from songs can get quite political! The focus at uwch level is a helping hand with transitioning to real-world speed and increasing confidence, so that might be what you're looking for.

Thanks, for that, Karen...I'm thinking about doing an Uwch weekend like this or a week one at Nant Gwrtheyrn
later in the year...Diolch!
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

Postby DavidHT » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:32 pm

Tahl wrote:Once I was well into SSIW Course 2, I got the standard Welsh for Adults Mynediad coursebook (the yellow one) and started working through it on my own, not going too fast (I did one or maybe two a week, over a cup of coffee at the local bookstore). I think this approach -- SSIW plus independent study of the WfA coursebooks -- would be enough to let somebody go into weekend course at a level that would be fun, and maybe to go into standard courses at a higher level than would otherwise fit, even while he/she is moving through the SSIW courses.

I am sure you are right with this approach; my evening classes uses the Mynediad coursebook. I really ought to do a bit more independent study though... naughty me.
David HT
I reached (southern) cwrs 2 gwers 18, and struggled. Went back to the beginning of course 2, by way of revision, and light relief! Currently revising gwers 9.
Please feel free to correct my Welsh, and if you can explain why that's even better!
Currently doing Mynediad 2 at evening classes.
DavidHT
SSiW Member

Previous

Return to Cardiff (and the Vale of Glamorgan)