2 day course - 3 and 4 January 2014 | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

2 day course - 3 and 4 January 2014

Postby DavidHT » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:03 pm

Helo pawb,
Cardiff University are running a two-day course at all levels at Cardiff campus, on 3 and 4 January 2014.
Please see attached for some further information, I'm hoping to be there, if I can secure marital permission :)
Attachments
Cwrs Calan 2.jpg
Cwrs Calan 2.jpg (65.29 KiB) Viewed 2994 times
Cwrs Calan 1.jpg
Cwrs Calan 1.jpg (178.34 KiB) Viewed 2994 times
David HT
I reached (southern) cwrs 2 gwers 18, and struggled. Went back to the beginning of course 2, by way of revision, and light relief! Currently revising gwers 9.
Please feel free to correct my Welsh, and if you can explain why that's even better!
Currently doing Mynediad 2 at evening classes.
DavidHT
SSiW Member

Re: 2 day course - 3 and 4 January 2014

Postby Anitamary » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:32 pm

Hi. I would like to register for the course but when I phone I can't get a reply. (The person you call has hung up). And when I tried to email. I got that address isn't recognised. Any other ways I can contact the centre? Thanks very much for any suggestions
Anitamary

Postby catflap » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:14 pm

Sounds good. I'd be up for this. Think I might try foundation level, but am not sure whether this is right. Any idea what ssiw early intermediate calibrates to in evening class language?

Steve
In the midst of Course 2 southern, just reach lesson 25, but am going back through a few earlier lessons and taking a run-up at it.
catflap
SSiW Member

Postby Gruntius » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:39 pm

Hi Steve, nothing to do with this course but last year I did a 3 day "summer school" course and, after a brief chat with the organiser on the phone, was thrown into the "advanced" class. I wasn't that happy about it but threw myself into it by asking lots of questions, volunteering for everything and generally making a nuisance of myself. I reckon I learnt more on that course than anyone else in the class. Anyway, I would say be brave and put yourself into a level that will make you struggle a little, you will learn a lot more. I would hate to pay for a course to come out of it thinking it was easy. Pob lwc.
Doing the Gog thingy.

"The_drummist" on Skype if you fancy a chat.

A little bit of my past life ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEhh2dCQYg
Gruntius
SSiW Member

Postby catflap » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:55 pm

Thanks Geraint, I think that was the prod I needed! No one's going to be putting me into an advanced course yet, but I guess it will do me good to stretch a little even if it's only to show me what I'm aiming at. I'll try to get hold of the organisers tomorrow and see what they think.
In the midst of Course 2 southern, just reach lesson 25, but am going back through a few earlier lessons and taking a run-up at it.
catflap
SSiW Member

Postby DavidHT » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:59 pm

A very useful reminder that I haven't registered yet. I am away from home so I don't have the phone number handy but if you phone the University and ask for Susanne Condon, or someone in her team, I'm sure you'll be pointed in the right direction. Let me know how you get on.
David HT
I reached (southern) cwrs 2 gwers 18, and struggled. Went back to the beginning of course 2, by way of revision, and light relief! Currently revising gwers 9.
Please feel free to correct my Welsh, and if you can explain why that's even better!
DavidHT
SSiW Member

Postby Sionned » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:35 pm

Anitamary wrote:Hi. I would like to register for the course but when I phone I can't get a reply. (The person you call has hung up). And when I tried to email. I got that address isn't recognised. Any other ways I can contact the centre? Thanks very much for any suggestions

You might try the website. I went to the address on the info above and stepped through to the "Weekend Courses" area, where you can sign up online. They have a different signup button for each level, so be sure to pick the one you want.
Please do read the forum guidelines - they're very short!
And let me know where you live, and I'll put you on the map!
Sionned
SSiW Angel

Postby annie k » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:43 pm

I spent the last few weeks waffling about whether to sign up and just registered for the course today, so it's not too late if anyone is still interested.

(I used the website booking link as it was about 7am, but got an email from Gwenllian a few hours later, so she's probably in the office today)
annie k

Postby DavidHT » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:11 pm

annie k wrote:I spent the last few weeks waffling about whether to sign up and just registered for the course today, so it's not too late if anyone is still interested.

What with Nadolig approaching I left it late to register, and whilst registering for the course wasn't a problem, train tickets were extortionate, so I've had to decide not to go on this one. I look forward to hearing all about it. Cardiff's courses are really good and I enjoy going to them.
David HT
DavidHT
SSiW Member

Postby catflap » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:06 am

What an interesting two days! I went along to the Foundation level class (year 3 of their learning route), attended for both days and got a lot out of it. There were around 25 people on the first day although this dropped on the second, and people were obviously at quite different levels, ranging from some who had only just started Foundation to a few who were revisiting it from higher levels. I was at the lower end of the scale (having not done Foundation at all) and found I was doing a lot of stuff that was new to me - especially short form tenses which I guess SSiW doesn't cover for a while. But this was no bad thing and the tutor was happy to encourage me which was a great help. My highpoint of the course was discovering that I knew every one of the fifteen or so Yes and No versions that the tutor threw at us - thank you SSiW!

The really big surprise for me was grammar. I had been enjoying the subliminal grammar learning style of SSiW and had forgotten how much formal courses put it at the front of their learning formula. The tutor also got the opportunity to sample my free-form Welsh spelling which she handled with good grace! (I always smile at the email signature which someone on here uses "Oh, is that how you spell it!").

In general it was a great, but tough, two days which has reminded me of the benefits of the SSiW learning style, but also made me appreciate the team spirit of a formal class - so much so that I signed up for Foundation evening classes which start tomorrow night (eeck!)

My top tip is to talk to the tutor as much as possible so they know what level you're at and pitch the teaching accordingly - no point assuming they'll guess (which I've made the mistake of doing in the past). My second top tip is, if you go on one of these revision courses it doesn't matter too much what level you select because you can always move up or down if you've find you need to change - lots of people did.

Anyway, thought it was worth posting in case it helps someone else considering going on one of these courses next time around. I'd certainly recommend the experience.

Steve
catflap
SSiW Member

Next

Return to Cardiff (and the Vale of Glamorgan)