tipyn bech mae'n bwrw glew | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Moderator: cetmorgan

Re: tipyn bech mae'n bwrw glew

Postby Aran » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:52 am

sumsmeister wrote:so I imagine it has picked up on an incorrect soft mutation

Not so much an incorrect mutation as an implied mutation - it would be correct in 'Dyna bechod' or 'Am bechod', so in an odd kind of way when someone says just 'Bechod' it's more of a contraction than an incorrect mutation...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Sionned » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:05 pm

sumsmeister wrote:Interestingly, if you use the University of Wales online dictionary, bechod doesn't exist...

Indeed, every dictionary I have and every online translation site I have except BBC defaults to "pechod = sin" or doesn't find bechod at all. BBC is only slightly better, as it translates the word as "shame".
Please do read the forum guidelines - they're very short!
And let me know where you live, and I'll put you on the map!
Sionned
SSiW Angel

Postby hewrop » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:54 pm

"Let him who is without sin....." Sorry I was thinking of something else :oops:
hewrop
The Magnificent Saith

Postby llanfairfach » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:43 pm

I've always thought that bechod must be a combination of words, eg: Be/What and Chod/... (well, although I've been working on it for the last couple of decades, that's as far as I've got, so the theory isn't really standing up :sad: ).

People around the Colwyn Bay area use choddy (with a Chimney CH) a lot. In some ways similar to bechod, but used more when there's a bit of a negative involved. If the cat has been trodden on, you'd cuddle the cat and say bechod, but it would be choddy that it's happened.
Please feel free to correct my Welsh.

Finished Lesson 22 Course 3 (Northern).
llanfairfach
SSiW Member

Postby Cer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:13 am

Oh, is that like, 'shoddy?'
:dafad: Please feel free to correct me. Thanks! :dafad:

:shock: = "Oh, is that how it's spelled!"

Waffling around in the Cwrs 2 vocab lessons.
Cer
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:23 am

llanfairfach wrote:People around the Colwyn Bay area use choddy (with a Chimney CH) a lot. In some ways similar to bechod, but used more when there's a bit of a negative involved. If the cat has been trodden on, you'd cuddle the cat and say bechod, but it would be choddy that it's happened.

Fascinating. More likely to be the other way round, though - 'pechod' is definitely the original word here, usually heard as 'bechod' (as mentioned above) and possibly then anglicised to 'choddy'? There are plenty of examples of that kind of anglicisation in the south, but I've never heard of one in the north before - really interesting, thanks for sharing...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby llanfairfach » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:08 pm

Cer wrote:Oh, is that like, 'shoddy?'

Here we use shoddy to mean something is not very good. Shoddy workmanship/Shoddy goods. Who knows though, maybe in parts of England shoddy is indeed used as choddy is used in and around the Colwyn Bay area.

llanfairfach
SSiW Member

Postby llanfairfach » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:18 pm

Aran wrote:
llanfairfach wrote:People around the Colwyn Bay area use choddy (with a Chimney CH) a lot. In some ways similar to bechod, but used more when there's a bit of a negative involved. If the cat has been trodden on, you'd cuddle the cat and say bechod, but it would be choddy that it's happened.

Fascinating. More likely to be the other way round, though - 'pechod' is definitely the original word here, usually heard as 'bechod' (as mentioned above) and possibly then anglicised to 'choddy'? There are plenty of examples of that kind of anglicisation in the south, but I've never heard of one in the north before - really interesting, thanks for sharing...:)

So if pechod is sin, then it's easy to see how that could become the Anglicized choddy for the examples above. I could never really fully accept how bechod was sin, hence my assumption for many years that it was a contraction, but it's all clicked into place now :smile: .

llanfairfach
SSiW Member

Postby Cer » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:40 am

Shoddy workmanship can also point toward shoddy treatment. Not too sure if that can easily swing toward a 'shoddy thing happening,' unless someone made it happen.
:dafad: Please feel free to correct me. Thanks! :dafad:

:shock: = "Oh, is that how it's spelled!"

Waffling around in the Cwrs 2 vocab lessons.
Cer
SSiW Member

Postby hewrop » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:08 am

This is what Wikipedia's offshoot says about shoddy but it sounds a bit woolly to me :wink:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/shoddy
My OED gives the same likely origin but also refers to shoddy being small stones at a quarry.
Shod as in slipshod comes from "shoed" and refers to old or poor-quality shoes causing one to slip.
hewrop
The Magnificent Saith

PreviousNext

Return to Mid Wales