tipyn bech mae'n bwrw glew | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Moderator: cetmorgan

tipyn bech mae'n bwrw glew

Postby CymroTramor » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:03 pm

Anyone speak Canol Cymraeg??? My mother is from Llanidloes....I was there in november and heard one guy said tipyn bech....
It would be nice to learn some more colloquialisms from Canol Cymru
CymroTramor
SSiW Member

Re: tipyn bech mae'n bwrw glew

Postby samweekes » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:41 pm

I stayed at a bed and breakfast in Bow Street, near Aberystwyth. The lady owner was previously a farmer's wife from Powys and she explained to me all about the tafodiaith of Powys, 'bech' for 'bach' etc. Very interesting. We held all our conversations in Cymraeg and it was great to hear this Powys dialect for the first time.

I've heard people in Aberystwyth saying 'tam-ed' instead of 'tamaid', which in itself is used in place of 'darn' for a piece of something.
Arfer ydy mam pob meistrolaeth
samweekes
SSiW Member

Postby Bryn-Daf » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:10 pm

tamed is common around Aber - little bit/piece as you say

My mam-gu from just East of Aberystwyth said glaw man for drizzle but thats said pretty widely I imagine :star:
Never heard her say bach as bech though.

Cisys was her local word for sweets though bless her!
Ac wrth feddwl am fy Nghymru,
Daw llawenydd i'n nghalon i
Bryn-Daf
SSiW Member

Postby sumsmeister » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:08 pm

Around Tywyn you will hear "Dim bwys" instead of "Dim problem". Pwys means a pound (lb) or weight. No weight, then - brilliant! But past Dolgellau and Machynlleth it fades... Bechod is a favourite for all sorts of things. "Poor little thing" or "Sweet little thing" when sympathy for, or appropriate admiration of a child is called for, or if sarcasm is required towards someone whinging over a slight misfortune, then bechod is perfect :wink: :D
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby hewrop » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:31 pm

Bryn-Daf wrote:tamed is common around Aber - little bit/piece as you say

The refrectory on the Penglais Campus of Prifysgol Aber is called "Tamed Da" but doesn't "Tamed" mean a boy's naughty part in Caenarfon?? :oops: If so, how do people from the Gogledd feel about chowing down in the Aber canteen? :wow: My wife & and I used to eat there every day :D
hewrop
The Magnificent Saith

Postby Cer » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:59 pm

I'd guess it was a colloquialism, so, people can disambiguate, while getting a laugh out of it (like I just did. Thanks! :wink: )
:dafad: Please feel free to correct me. Thanks! :dafad:

:shock: = "Oh, is that how it's spelled!"

Waffling around in the Cwrs 2 vocab lessons.
Cer
SSiW Member

Postby jstetson » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:17 pm

sumsmeister wrote:Around Tywyn you will hear "Dim bwys" instead of "Dim problem". Pwys means a pound (lb) or weight. No weight, then - brilliant! But past Dolgellau and Machynlleth it fades... Bechod is a favourite for all sorts of things. "Poor little thing" or "Sweet little thing" when sympathy for, or appropriate admiration of a child is called for, or if sarcasm is required towards someone whinging over a slight misfortune, then bechod is perfect :wink: :D

For "bechod" google translate gives "sin".

:shock:

Whoa, no wonder things weren't making much sense! Epic google translate fail, or alternative meaning?
Feel free to correct my Welsh, os gwelwch yn dda.
Words are like children, they behave differently with their friends.
jstetson
SSiW Member

Postby Catrin Lliar » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:12 pm

We use 'bechod' a lot, sometimes to mean 'oh what a pity' and sometimes as a term of endearment. You will often see people looking at cute pictures of babies, for instance and saying 'O bechod!', almost lile they're saying 'awww bless'.

'bechod' gets thrown about a lot! :wink:
Northern course female voice. Raised in Pen Llŷn, fled when 18. Spent my 20s discovering the wider world. A qualified teacher (English & art), worked in marketing with small local businesses - gave it all up to become a Mam! A creative soul who inherited my family's artistic gene, love drawing, being behind the lens of a camera and being creative with food. Movies, red wine, dark chocolate help me relax. Always here to help!
Catrin Lliar
SSi Head of Events

Postby Bryn-Daf » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:20 am

I love using 'Bechod' and throw it about like you say Catrin....Furthermore I think 'That is a shame' = Dyna drueni...is used more seriously?
Ac wrth feddwl am fy Nghymru,
Daw llawenydd i'n nghalon i
Bryn-Daf
SSiW Member

Postby sumsmeister » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:42 am

jstetson wrote:For "bechod" google translate gives "sin".
Whoa, no wonder things weren't making much sense! Epic google translate fail, or alternative meaning?

Sin = pechod and it's a masculine noun (which is a little unfair as it was Eve's fault originally :wink: :harhar: ) The point I'm trying to make is that Google follows usage, so I imagine it has picked up on an incorrect soft mutation, not having the programming to recognise what's correct or used "in the wild". Interestingly, if you use the University of Wales online dictionary, bechod doesn't exist...
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Next

Return to Mid Wales