Help find June Willard's Cardiff address in 'Da Dd Cymru'? | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

For those 'Not sure where this should go' moments!

Help find June Willard's Cardiff address in 'Da Dd Cymru'?

Postby JKStock38 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:10 am

I'm hoping somebody in the Cardiff area can help me find the address of June Willard. She and I met in the Heathrow Airport last Sept. 2012. I gave her my address in the U.S., and she gave me hers. Last year we exchanged Christmas cards and 2013 calendars of the places we both live. She has sent me a Christmas card this year but with no street address. All it says on the envelope is Da Dd Cymru, SE. Wales. I already bought another costal California calendar to send her, but I cannot find her address. I go on line in an attempt to get a phone book of Da Dd Cymru, but have know luck.

I know this is an unusual request, but I would greatly appreciate if someone could help me find June Willard. Is there anyone who can either give me leads or find the address of June Willard, who lives in Da Dd Cymru? I had been taking Welsh lessons on your site before I went to Wales last year.
Thank you very much.
Juanita Stock, 211 Elm St., Santa Cruz, CA 95060 USA
JKStock38

Re: Address

Postby Aran » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:55 am

That's an unusual request, but I'm sure if anyone can think of anything, they'll be glad to help...:)

I'm just going to alter your topic title to make it a bit more clear what you're looking for, and to move this into General Chat where it may get more views...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Re: Help find June Willard's Cardiff address in 'Da Dd Cymru'?

Postby Mynwy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:48 pm

I think the "Da Dd" is actually De Dd which is just a translation of the postmark for SE Wales (De Ddwyrain), so it isn't much to go on. :sad:
Mynwy

Postby JKStock38 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:36 pm

Is there not an phone book that could be consulted? It's maddening when a person sends a card w/ no return address. I got the idea from my conversation w/ her in the airport that she lives right along the southeast section that is close to the English border. The calendar she sent me last year was of Southeast Wales.
jkstock
JKStock38

Postby JKStock38 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:55 pm

In looking at the map, I think June Willard's town was Caer went.
JKStock38

Postby cat » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:47 pm

JKStock38 wrote:In looking at the map, I think June Willard's town was Caer went.

Hi Juanita, does Shirenewton ring any bells? It's the next village over from Caerwent, and I've found an entry in a phonebook for an A. McInnes-Willard? I cannot find any other Willard in the area though. It could be that she doesn't have a landline phone, or she's not the billpayer.

Can you recall any hobbies or things she was involved with (Merched y Wawr, WI, running etc...) that she may be linked online with?

I hope someone can help find her for you.
cat
SSi Head of Marketing

Postby Tahl » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:12 pm

cat wrote:
JKStock38 wrote:In looking at the map, I think June Willard's town was Caer went.

Hi Juanita, does Shirenewton ring any bells? It's the next village over from Caerwent, and I've found an entry in a phonebook for an A. McInnes-Willard? I cannot find any other Willard in the area though. It could be that she doesn't have a landline phone, or she's not the billpayer.

Can you recall any hobbies or things she was involved with (Merched y Wawr, WI, running etc...) that she may be linked online with?

There's a young Brownie-aged Girl Guide with the McInnes-Willard surname listed on page 15 of the June 2009 newsletter of the Church of St. Thomas a Becket in Shirenewton (here).
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby JKStock38 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:09 am

That could be a lead. When I met her in a Heathrow restaurant (it was crowded & she asked if she could join me), she said she was on her way to visit her daughter in Germany. I think her husband was dead. I gave her a number of British stamps that I had left over and wouldn't be able to use in the States. I said, "You can send me a post card w/ one of them." I must have had her address at one point because I sent her a pictorial calendar of Santa Cruz. Then she sent me one of Southeast Wales, which I found interesting because in my trip to Wales, we mostly toured northern Wales and then got down to the National Library of Wales and to Swansea.

She didn't talk much about her life, but I got the impression she, like me, lives alone. If you give me that address, I could always send a card to it and see if it is returned to me.

Dolch,
Juanita
JKStock38

Postby Kinetic » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:22 am

Mynwy wrote:I think the "Da Dd" is actually De Dd which is just a translation of the postmark for SE Wales (De Ddwyrain)

Oh! That was bugging me slightly, I couldn't for the life of me work out what that might be short for. Thanks for satisfying my curiosity at least :star:
Clywch clywch buwch, mae dy din di ar dân / Mae rhaid chdi gau dy goesa', i gadw'r byd 'ma'n lân
Kinetic
The Illegal Cow

Return to General Chat