Please use the new forum...:-) | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Si tienes unas preguntas, intentaremos ayudarte aquí...:-)

Please use the new forum...:-)

Postby Aran » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:29 pm

USING THE NEW FORUM

As of now, we're starting the process of moving all our support over to the new forum.

We'll be keeping this forum open for a while, so that we can catch anyone who has bookmarked it and doesn't come via the main site - but the new forum is now the place for questions and comments...:)

To get back to this forum, you'll need to bookmark it - we'll be keeping it open for the time being, while everyone gets used to the new one, and then in due course (don't panic!) we'll be switching it to read-only...:)

Exciting times - and huge, huge congratulations to Ifan for all his fantastic work with this...:seren:

P.S. One of the reasons we're keeping this forum semi-live for now is as a fall-back position - if for any reason things break with the new forum, we'll be able to come back here as a temporary solution - but once we know that the new forum is handling the traffic, we'll be there permanently...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Re: New forum live...:-)

Postby Gruntius » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:50 pm

Fantastic, congratulations guys for getting all the work done up to this very exciting stage. :party:

I'm missing the left hand edge on my windows phone still so reading posts is confusing so I'll wait till I get a chance on the tablet before I have a good go. :wink:
Doing the Gog thingy.

"The_drummist" on Skype if you fancy a chat.

A little bit of my past life ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEhh2dCQYg
Gruntius
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:40 pm

Gruntius wrote:I'm missing the left hand edge on my windows phone still

Sorry about that - we haven't ignored you, it's just tricky to recreate it - but fingers crossed we'll get there eventually...:)
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Gruntius » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:05 pm

Sorry for being negative on a very positive notification. :roll:

It looks good on the tablet. :wink:
Doing the Gog thingy.

"The_drummist" on Skype if you fancy a chat.

A little bit of my past life ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEhh2dCQYg
Gruntius
SSiW Member

Re: Please use the new forum...:-)

Postby hywel_dda » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:20 am

Dull question. How do you get to the new forum? Forum link on first page of the new site brings you back here.
hywel_dda

Postby Aran » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:25 am

hywel_dda wrote:Dull question. How do you get to the new forum? Forum link on first page of the new site brings you back here.

Hmm. Could you have another shot at that and confirm that it's doing exactly that for you right now? Because it's not for me...:)

Scratch that - you're talking about the link in the text, aren't you? Good catch, thank you - I'll go change it now...:)

In the meantime, click on Ask on the new site and you'll find the forum...:)
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby DavidHT » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:45 pm

Interestingly, the new site appears not to work at all in IE8, which is still the only browser available on our work PCs.

Most of the text is displayed but the "Welsh / Cymraeg 123 lessons available" button does not not click. If I manually copy the link and paste the URL into the address box, the page appears but with the text shifted off the left hand edge of the screen, and consequently the buttons for lessons 1, 4, 7, 10 etc are off the edge of the screen.

There is also a message at the bottom of the screen which says "-soundManager: Flash URL required. Call soundManager.setup({url:...}) to get started. SoundManager: No HTML5 Audio() support detected."

I am guessing that this browser is simply too old to run the site, and I will just have to hope that the company upgrades sometime soon?
David HT
I reached (southern) cwrs 2 gwers 18, and struggled. Went back to the beginning of course 2, by way of revision, and light relief! Currently revising gwers 9.
Please feel free to correct my Welsh, and if you can explain why that's even better!
Currently doing Mynediad 2 at evening classes.
DavidHT
SSiW Member

Postby RobertBruce » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:09 pm

You should be working.
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel

Postby Aran » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:18 pm

DavidHT wrote:Interestingly, the new site appears not to work at all in IE8, which is still the only browser available on our work PCs.

Thanks for the confirmation - I'm not entirely surprised, because I know we have issues with IE9 - we'll be working to fix this, and fingers crossed it won't be too tricky to get at least a usable version ready before too long. Having said that, it's always a good time to lobby for access to Chrome or Firefox...:wink:
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Arianrhod » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:34 pm

Is the new forum more or less complete? It looks more like Twitter, so I guess we've been spoiled up to now. Where do we see we have a private message? Are there no 'signatures' to let each other know at a glance what version and lesson we've reached (so useful for answering questions and arranging skype partners).

Will there be options to view your own posts, view active topics, subscribe to a topic? Can we delete or edit a post? Will we be able to see the whole of the heading on the left instead of 'how to g...' 'where to p...' etc. Will there be all the formatting options as now, with fonts and colours? So useful when you're listing a whole lot of stuff that's happening in your area.

Is that all there is to the new Forum? No searching old posts, or seeing an overview of all the topic tree? Are the question topics for each lesson now going to be with the lessons, otherwise, how can you find the answers that were given a couple of years ago?

I can't see it being nearly as good for keeping our Barry group informed, unless it's more than Twitter. But then, this site is probably the expensive luxury option and we shall be thankful to have had it for a period, and you have to do what you have to do.
Wastad yn siarad Cymraeg... i'r hen, hen gi.
(southern version) Cwrs 3 Gwers 23
Arianrhod
SSiW Member

Next

Return to Preguntas en castellano