Questions about Course 2 Lesson 9 | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

For questions about Course 2 and the 10 Course 2 Vocab units.

Re: Questions about Course 2 Lesson 9

Postby longdehua » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:10 pm

anglovasco wrote:Sa i'n gallu siarad cymraeg
Wi'n ffili bwyta y brechdan :oops:


I think you lose the "yn" with ffaelu/ffili as well so it's just "Wi ffili bwyta'r frechdan"
Please feel obliged to correct my Welsh ;-)
User avatar
longdehua
SSiW Member
 
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:27 am
Location: Oxford/London
Real name:: Ed

Re: Questions about Course 2 Lesson 9

Postby Iestyn » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:54 pm

longdehua wrote:
anglovasco wrote:Sa i'n gallu siarad cymraeg
Wi'n ffili bwyta y brechdan :oops:


I think you lose the "yn" with ffaelu/ffili as well so it's just "Wi ffili bwyta'r frechdan"


Just to add - there is no grammatical reason for losing the "yn" that I know of, anyway, it just seems to happen!
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
User avatar
Iestyn
SSi CFO
 
Posts: 4374
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:33 pm
Location: Llandysul, Ceredigion
Real name:: Iestyn

Re: Questions about Course 2 Lesson 9

Postby Lostforwords » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:18 pm

Lostforwords wrote:Cwrs 2, gwers 10, approx 24' - hwntw:

When he couldn't remember, she was not looking upwards.
Pan oedd e ffili cofio . . .
In the above I hear ffili cofio . . . - but in other examples I often seem to hear yn ffili.
My hearing at fault (again) or is either correct and acceptable, and nothing to worry about? :help:

Gareth King in Modern Welsh (332) does include the yn - but what does . . . :wink:


Iestyn wrote:I think I mention when we introduce "ffili" that the yn disappears for no apparent reason. This is my experience, but as there is no grammatical reason for the disappearance, it could be dialect, or even personal choice. If you use the "yn" it's more correct than leaving it out, but I usually leave it out...

If that's clear as mud, welcome to my World of Welsh! :shock:
Dw i'n bwriadu i fyw am byth - iawn hyd yma.
"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Lostforwords
SSiW Member
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 9:17 pm
Location: Reading
Real name:: Fred

Re: Questions about Course 2 Lesson 9

Postby RobertBruce » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:20 pm

Iestyn wrote:
longdehua wrote:
anglovasco wrote:Sa i'n gallu siarad cymraeg
Wi'n ffili bwyta y brechdan :oops:


I think you lose the "yn" with ffaelu/ffili as well so it's just "Wi ffili bwyta'r frechdan"


Just to add - there is no grammatical reason for losing the "yn" that I know of, anyway, it just seems to happen!


Seems to be some kind of natural, subconscious thing. I caught myself doing it, thought it was wrong, but then noticed that other people do it too. Did I do it because I'd subconsciously picked it up from others, or is there some deeper, meta-linguistic thing going on? :-? :D
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
User avatar
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel
 
Posts: 4556
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Sir Faesyfed
Real name:: Robert Bruce

Re: Questions about Course 2 Lesson 9

Postby longdehua » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:29 pm

What happens with methu? Do people use the "yn" there or not?
Please feel obliged to correct my Welsh ;-)
User avatar
longdehua
SSiW Member
 
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:27 am
Location: Oxford/London
Real name:: Ed

Re: Questions about Course 2 Lesson 9

Postby DavidHT » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:43 pm

I'm (re-)listening with my headphones on in a quiet room. At 29 min 26 seconds, Cat said, "ddylet ti ddim prynu llaeth os na fydd amser gyda ti ei yfed e", Iestyn says something similar (although I think he says 'yw'), then I can hear Cat say in the background, "I said 'ei yfed e'" or something along those lines. It made me smile!
David HT
I reached (southern) cwrs 2 gwers 18, and struggled. Went back to the beginning of course 2, by way of revision, and light relief! Currently revising gwers 9.
Please feel free to correct my Welsh, and if you can explain why that's even better!
Currently doing Mynediad 2 at evening classes.
User avatar
DavidHT
SSiW Member
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:51 pm
Real name:: David H-T

Re: Questions about Course 2 Lesson 9

Postby jampy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:48 am

I was hoping that someone might have raised this question earlier, but maybe nobody else experienced my confusion.

The English expression was: "Being unable to remember is not useful"
The Welsh is given as: "So ffili cofio'n ddefnyddiol"

My brain struggled with this, even intruding into my sleep. Finally, I reasoned that the way to unravel the Welsh was to construct the English as: " Is not failing to remember useful" = "It's not useful failing to remember"

Have I made this more difficult than necessary? Have I missed something simpler?
User avatar
jampy
SSiW Member
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:46 am
Location: Daventry, Northamptonshire
Real name:: Alun Burke

Re: Questions about Course 2 Lesson 9

Postby Aran » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:00 pm

Hi Alun - have you seen that we're running on the new forum now?

If you log in at www.saysomethingin.com and then click on 'Ask', you'll see it - any problems, let me know...:)

We're only keeping this open in case anyone has trouble getting into the new forum...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
User avatar
Aran
SSi CEO
 
Posts: 16971
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:52 pm
Real name:: Aran!





 


Previous

Return to Course 2 Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron