Watching S4C and Welsh programmes overseas | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Where you can try and pick what few brains we have...

Watching S4C and Welsh programmes overseas

Postby Tess » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:21 am

Can anyone help me with finding shows online in Welsh that are viewable in the United States? Welsh TV is available online, but only in the UK !! Also, does anyone know where I can get dvds in Cymraeg that will play on the dvd players we have here in the U.S.? The ones I find for sale online are a different type - region code or something that say they will not play on North American dvd players.
Thanks for any info!
Tess

Re: Shows and things

Postby dkoert » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:42 am

Do you know how you set up a VPN? If so, I can just PM you a couple links for the VPN and the show(s) you want. If not, I can PM you a few, more complete instructions.

It's a marvel of the internet that you can watch TV just about anywhere in the world on a networked computer ... cellphone for that matter.

I'm sure there are others who can help you do this if you feel more comfortable with someone whose not a stranger.

David
dkoert

Postby sumsmeister » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:42 am

I've used a VPN before and it's not too badly complicated. Try finding a "tunnelling bear" was the advice given to me and that proved to be well worthwhile. If you can't find one, PM me.
Good luck!
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby bedw-arian » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:49 am

Some of the programmes on S4C's Clic are listed on the Home page as "Available Overseas' - listed in this category at present are 'Pawb a'i Farn', 'Newyddion 9: y Sgwrs', and 'Jerwsalem: Tir Sanctaidd'. I have found they work here in N.Z.

Programmes which are not available overseas can be seen on a VPN like Tunnel Bear and if S4C programmes begin to be shown on BBC Iplayer, it will become easier, as they will be able to be downloaded, which overcomes live streaming problems which can occur.

With regard to DVD players, here in N.Z. (and presumably in the US) it's possible to buy non region specific machines very cheaply, mine cost $25! And the one I had before that and had brought from the UK, was made non region specific by my local TV repair man by entering a code he found on Google.
bedw-arian
SSiW Member

Postby DavidHT » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:11 am

bedw-arian wrote:If S4C programmes begin to be shown on BBC Iplayer, it will become easier, as they will be able to be downloaded, which overcomes live streaming problems which can occur.

I am sure I read a press release either from the BBC or from S4C, saying that they would soon become available from BBC iplayer. This would be a big Brucie bonus for me, bring it on!
David HT
I reached (southern) cwrs 2 gwers 18, and struggled. Went back to the beginning of course 2, by way of revision, and light relief! Currently revising gwers 9.
Please feel free to correct my Welsh, and if you can explain why that's even better!
Currently doing Mynediad 2 at evening classes.
DavidHT
SSiW Member

Re: Watching S4C and Welsh programmes overseas

Postby Catrin Lliar » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:49 am

I hope you don't mind but I have changed the title of this thread and turned it in to an announcement.

I've been asked this question by learners overseas quite frequently recently and the subject cropped up again at Bootcamp.

So I thought that making the information clear and visible on the forum might help.

Thanks for bringing the subject up and reminding me that I had promised to provide this information to a few of our overseas learners. :D
Northern course female voice. Raised in Pen Llŷn, fled when 18. Spent my 20s discovering the wider world. A qualified teacher (English & art), worked in marketing with small local businesses - gave it all up to become a Mam! A creative soul who inherited my family's artistic gene, love drawing, being behind the lens of a camera and being creative with food. Movies, red wine, dark chocolate help me relax. Always here to help!
Catrin Lliar
SSi Head of Events

Postby Craig F » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:02 pm

If you want to play DVDs from Europe, you will need a player that does two things.
1) It has to be “Region Free”.
2) It must do PAL to NTSC conversion.
Southern: Course 1, Lesson 25
Craig F

Postby Atomic Newt » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:12 pm

Tess, I'm in NY and watch S4C all the time! I've PM'd you some info!

-Jen :)
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain
Atomic Newt
SSiW Member

Postby Tess » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:38 pm

Thanks to everyone ! I'm looking into the things suggested now! :) You may find me in here asking for more information, though, if I run into trouble . . . :help: :)
Tess

Return to Asking Questions