Learning to say the Welsh alphabet | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Where you can try and pick what few brains we have...

Learning to say the Welsh alphabet

Postby dkoert » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:29 am

In the following youtube video, the Welsh alphabeta is recited two ways. I'm not exactly certain how to describe the two styles ... 1) phonetically by a child? ... 2) properly named letters by an adult? Is that right?

If I was being asked by a Welsh speaker how to spell something, would I sound proper using the second style?
Pan fydd y meddwl yn cyfarwyddo'r corff i ufuddhau i'r corff yn ufuddhau. Pan fydd y meddwl yn cyfarwyddo ei hun i ufuddhau ei fod yn cwrdd gwrthsafiad.
dkoert

Re: Learning to say the Welsh alphabet

Postby RobertBruce » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:12 am

Depends who you're talking to. To some people you might sound pretentious, to others you might sound like you're making a proper effort. It's a bit of a minefield, but fortunately one where the mines are nowhere near fatal!
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel

Postby Lurch2 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:46 am

It's certainly good to know there is "another" alphabet, so things like "Es pedwar ec" (S4C) and "bee bee ec" (bbc) are explained, but - well, what Rob said!

[and though I have learned the second alphabet, I have to run through it to remember the name of an individual letter, and personally can't see myself making the necessary effort to become familiar enough with it to not have to do that! Not that that is worth knowing! :wink: ]

Whichever one you use, it would be good to remember "i dot" for "i" and "u bedol" for "u" to distinguish them unless you pronounce the sounds represented noticeably differently.

[Speaking (very) generally, "u" has a slightly different sound to "i" in the north. Something else to not worry about!]

And tangentially, doesn't Russian do something similar? Have an "named" alphabet but normally just make the sounds, I mean?
Please feel free to correct my Welsh. My English, however, is beyond all hope.

Lurch2
SSiW Member

Postby cwmgoch » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:08 am

I have been wanting to know this for a while, so diolch yn fawr iawn for this video!
Please feel free to correct my Welsh. Currently on Cwrs 3 De, Gwers 4.
Dw i'n moyn llenwi'r we gydag amlgyfrwng hyfryd yn Gymraeg!
cwmgoch

Postby dkoert » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:08 am

Mae croeso cynnes i chi.
Pan fydd y meddwl yn cyfarwyddo'r corff i ufuddhau i'r corff yn ufuddhau. Pan fydd y meddwl yn cyfarwyddo ei hun i ufuddhau ei fod yn cwrdd gwrthsafiad.
dkoert

Postby chrome angel » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:38 pm

well i never knew about the 'named' alphabet! i learnt the phonetic version...
skype at deb_critchley
finished course 3 and happy to chat :)
https://www.facebook.com/deb.critchley
chrome angel
SSiW Member

Return to Asking Questions