JeepSpecial Edition Hood Decal | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Where you can try and pick what few brains we have...

JeepSpecial Edition Hood Decal

Postby IoanGwyn » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:10 pm

In the US, Jeep has myriad 'special editions' for their Wrangler model.

These are named for famous Jeep trails or areas; Rubicon, Moab, Rocky Mountain, Columbia, Sahara or for other things; Golden Eagle, Renegade, Islander, Arctic. . .and so forth. They're identified by a strip decal on the side of the hood.

Shortly after the first special edition came out--the Renegade I think--the first parody appeared. Don't know what that was but there are a plethora of them now; Decepticon, Rubican't, Mall Crawler Edition and many others.

One that caught my eye was this one:

It's in a Native American Language, probably Cree, and refers to the Chequamegon National Forest in Northern Wisconsin, a popular 4wd area. Naturally I thought what we really need is a Welsh Edition!

At first I tried to come up with various areas in Wales to use but then realized it needed to be um, er, Pan-Welsh so I googled Welsh Edition and came up with both ARGRAFFIAD CYMRAEG and RHIFYN CYMRAEG. One means edition the other issue but I'm not sure which is which.

It's rather important that the sticker translate to Welsh Edition as I don't want to own a Jeep that has an issue. :wink:

So, ARGRAFFIAD CYMRAEG or RHIFYN CYMRAEG?

Oh, the sticker would also have an oval Welsh flag too.

Diolch!
IoanGwyn

Re: JeepSpecial Edition Hood Decal

Postby cat » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:30 pm

Rhifyn = issue, as you would see on the front of a magazine, saying "Rhifyn 25" - the 25th in the series. I would guess it comes from the word rhif = number.

Argraffiad = edition or impression - when you choose <File> <print> on a computer in Welsh, you select <argraffu>

Does that help with understanding the different options?
cat
SSi Head of Marketing

Postby Iestyn » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:11 pm

I must admit ti being uncomfortable with either suggestion.

Definitely not argraffiad, which is more af a printing, as in a "first edition" of a book.

Rhifyn, certainly to my mind, is also a magazine-y word: you get rhifyns of papers, magazines etc, but I've never heard it used for a "special edition" like this.

I am drawn to the word "bathiad" which is more of a "prodcing an object" kind of word. We "bathu" money and new words, and use the noun "bath" to mean a "type" or a "kind" as in one-of-a-kind.

Wait til Aran or Catrin sees this, or maybe others who have seen other uses for various words, and who possibly have a better feel for what "edition" actually means in this instance...
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby faithless78 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:52 pm

I reckon there could be special edition names for Welsh mountainous regions, like Snowdon, and could use other names like 'y draig'
For the parody version, I really would be quite amused to see the 'Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch' (although I can't see it being fitted on the hood in the same line!!!)
Rwy'n gwneud SSiW Cwrs 3 (Deheuol) Gwers 25,
a SSiW Lefel 1 newydd (Deheuol) hefyd (rwy newydd gwpla Her 14).
“Falle fod e'n hen foi od i bawb arall, ond nid i fi.” DCI Mathias #ygwyll
"Weithir, rwy'n moyn yfed dy gwrw di hefyd!" SSiW Cwrs 2, Gwers 24
faithless78
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:03 pm

I'm with Iestyn here, and I think the solution is to do the same as the Chequamegon folk - drop the 'Edition' word, which works in English because it's got all those associations with 'special editions' of things, which won't necessarily exist in other language (rhifyn is certainly the closest you could get in Welsh, because we see 'rhifyn arbennig' often enough, but I've never heard it used to talk about anything apart from a print publication, so it doesn't have the same association as English).

Why not just go with Cymru, or with the name you like most when you have a squint at a map of Wales?...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby IoanGwyn » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:14 pm

Hm.

I'd kind of like to stick with the concept of 'edition' in the context it's used by Jeep--their special editions oft times actually use the word--Rocky Mountain Edition comes to mind.

So how about "Welsh Version," fersiwn? Fersiynau?
Or maybe type works? Would that be bath or bathiad or teip or teipiau?

Type would seem to work I think, sort of like the VW beetle was designated the "type 1," the minibus "type 2" and so on.

I thought about the long long word but you're right, it ain't a gonna fit on the hood.
Also about Yr Wyddfa Edition or Ynys Mons Edition but I want it to be more um, inclusive.
I like the way the word "cymraeg" tastes when I say it and it looks cool too. ;)

I considered "Y Driag Goch" edition but it's a green Jeep and it would prompt this conversation with Americans:

"Means 'The Red Dragon.'"
"But, yer Jeep is green, ain't it?"
"Yeah but y Draig Goch is the dragon on the Welsh flag and the symbol of Wales."
"But it ain't made there is it?"
"No, it's American."
"So how come it ain't the Green American Dragon?"
*Facepalm*
"Never mind."

For the same reason 'bathiad' would be better than 'bath.' You can imagine how THAT explanation would go. . .

BTW is it Y Draig or Y Ddraig? I've seen both.

Thanks!
IoanGwyn

Postby Aran » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:55 pm

IoanGwyn wrote:I'd kind of like to stick with the concept of 'edition' in the context it's used by Jeep

I sympathise with what you're aiming for, because that concept of 'edition' is so familiar to you - but that concept of 'edition' just doesn't really exist in Welsh.

Fersiwn is used, although going back the other way that doesn't really sound to me like something you'd use to describe a car. You could use 'Math' for type, but I guess that would puzzle people at least as well as Y Ddraig Goch (if you've seen that as Y Draig, it was a typo :) )...

Hope some of that helps!
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby faithless78 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:30 pm

Aran wrote:You could use 'Math' for type, but I guess that would puzzle people at least as well as Y Ddraig Goch (if you've seen that as Y Draig, it was a typo :) )...

It was indeed a typo - autocorrect on my iPad isn't yet used to mutated words.... :razz:
Rwy'n gwneud SSiW Cwrs 3 (Deheuol) Gwers 25,
a SSiW Lefel 1 newydd (Deheuol) hefyd (rwy newydd gwpla Her 14).
“Falle fod e'n hen foi od i bawb arall, ond nid i fi.” DCI Mathias #ygwyll
"Weithir, rwy'n moyn yfed dy gwrw di hefyd!" SSiW Cwrs 2, Gwers 24
faithless78
SSiW Member

Return to Asking Questions