Translation please | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Where you can try and pick what few brains we have...

Translation please

Postby Mthomp38 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:18 pm

Help please Is this correct for 'Maldon rugby club tour of welsh wales'
'Clwb rygbi maldon ydym ni, yn ymweld a chymru cymraeg?'

Mthomp38

Re: Translation please

Postby hewrop » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:10 pm

What you've written translates roughly as "We are Maldon Rugby Club, visiting Welsh Wales" but my personal advice would be to drop the word "Welsh". Wales is Welsh by definition and the phrase "Welsh Wales" is a bit jokey IMO but maybe I'm being over-touchy.

If you just want to say, Maldon Rugby Club Tour of Wales, I think "Taith o Gymru Clwb Rygbi Maldon" would be close enough. But others may have better suggestions.

I should add that you can use the phrase Cymro/Cymraes Cymraeg to identify a Welsh-speaking Welshman/Welshwoman.

Anyway Croeso I Gymru pan chi'n dod / Welcome to Wales when you come. I hope you have a great trip. :croeso:
hewrop
The Magnificent Saith

Postby Mthomp38 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:58 pm

Hewrop - thank you!
I agree welsh wales is jokey, it is something that stuck though when I was arranging this tour. I was born and brought up in Porthcawl so when the team asked are we going there I said no we were 'going to Aberystwyth which is welsh wales' and it kinda stuck! No offence to Porthcawl as I love the place but North and West Wales always felt more welsh to me when I lived there.

Would 'Taith o Gymru Cymraeg' under a maldon rugby logo work as far as spelling and context is concerned? I wouldn't want anyone to take offence though so I assume I could have 'Taith o Gymru' as stand alone under the logo?

Thanks for your help on this!
Mthomp38

Postby hewrop » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:15 pm

I'll let some other forum members offer a translation, Mike.
I live near Aber. Have you any matches lined up? If so, when?
(Love your salt, by the way. :harhar: )
hewrop
The Magnificent Saith

Postby Aran » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:25 pm

Loads of different possible options - I'd go for:

'Taith Clwb Rygbi Maldon i'r Fro Gymraeg' - you could say 'Cymru Gymraeg' but it's not a phrase you'd really ever hear, whereas it's fairly common to refer (in Welsh!) to the Welsh-speaking parts of Wales as 'y Fro Gymraeg'.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the tour...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Mthomp38 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:26 pm

We have an youth team playing in the international festival next month. I believe in the group stages we could be playing Aberystwyth, aberaeron, cardigan along with a couple of Irish teams, a French club and a few other English sides. Should be good fun, I'll bring you a box of sea salt for your translation assistance :D
Mthomp38

Postby Mthomp38 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:30 pm

Aran thank you! So that would roughly be maldon rugby club tour to welsh speaking wales?
Mthomp38

Postby hewrop » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:49 pm

As soon as Aran mentioned "Y Fro Cymraeg", I recognised the phrase.
I'll keep a look out for you but, if I miss you, there are two excellent fish and chip shops in Aberaeron where you could use your excellent salt. If you're looking for something a bit more up-market, Aberaeron also has a seriously good fish restaurant -http://www.harbour-master.com/
hewrop
The Magnificent Saith

Postby Aran » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:29 am

Mthomp38 wrote:Aran thank you! So that would roughly be maldon rugby club tour to welsh speaking wales?

Pretty much - 'bro' is an area or place, so 'Y Fro Gymraeg' is 'the Welsh-speaking area' - which is how Welsh speakers would refer to these parts of Wales, so they'll recognise/understand it immediately - whereas 'Cymru Gymraeg' might have them wondering what you were trying to say (and if you'd had a typo for 'Cymry Cymraeg')...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Mthomp38 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:39 pm

Huw, Aran - diolch yn fawr!

Looking forward to visiting a beautiful part of Wales, although it will the first time in my lifetime I'll be supporting an English team over a Welsh one! Cheers
Mthomp38

Next

Return to Asking Questions