Course 1 (new framework) teething problems | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Where you can try and pick what few brains we have...

Re: Course 1 (new framework) teething problems

Postby Aran » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:34 am

Huw, I think that's an absolutely excellent idea - diolch o waelod calon iti...:seren:

Any further volunteers to either proof-listen or help import would be hugely, hugely welcome - Huw's too modest to say it himself, but he's been doing more than his share with the importing, and given that it's entirely natural for people to have time some months and not other months, this is very much a more the merrier situation...:)

Huw, I believe I've just successfully set you as an admin in Breeze - if you go into the project and look up to the top left, just underneath the Breeze logo and to the left of the Importing/publishing media files title, you should see a little cog wheel - click on that, and you get the option to add new people...:)

With regards to the hiccups that have been caught so far - most of them are little slips in reading - so the ideal would be to batch them and have one big re-record session - in which case, it would be massively, massively easier if you could be kind enough to list the (approx) time, the English sentence, and the two Welsh sentences - that way, we can collate them all in here and make a re-record list...:star:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby hewrop » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:41 am

Aran wrote:Huw, I think that's an absolutely excellent idea - diolch o waelod calon iti...:seren:

I'm on it ( as the young folk say :smile: ) I hope to get back to you with a list and recommendations in a few days.
hewrop
The Magnificent Saith

Postby hewrop » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:13 pm

New checking stage

I've been given the go-ahead to implement a checking - proof/listening stage in the lesson production process and I've set up the structure on Breeze, the project managing software Aran has set up for the purpose.

I've had a couple of kind volunteers already resulting form this thread and am now looking for a few more. The people we need should be good proof readers/listeners (unlike me). No processing is required. To get an idea of what's involved, you might like to take a look at my draft instructions.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzSZIQh1UDMwX3YyZy1abGJFZEE/edit?usp=sharing

Work load. This is entirely up to you but, if we get a few more volunteers, I don't see the demand exceeding one lesson a week even when the work peaks.

Edit: Even though I don't speak Dutch or Spanish, I have processed and audited lessons in both languages. You would have access to the scripts which makes it easy to follow the lesson. I hope that checking volunteers will feel able to tackle any of the SSi langauages.

If you are wiling and able to help with this proofing process, please contact me by PM or be e-mail at
hewrop[at]hotmail.co.uk
hewrop
The Magnificent Saith

Postby Joanie » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:34 pm

*Sorry, removed due to mispost*
Last edited by Joanie on Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Joanie
SSiW Member

Postby hewrop » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:49 pm

Joanie wrote:I found myself caught up around challenge 16, approx. 20:55 with the following phrase: “someone who told me that you want to read that book today.” My response was “rhywun ddweddodd wrtha fi dy fod ti’n moyn darllen y llyfyr ‘na heddiw.” The given response was “rhywun wnaeth ddweud wrtha fi…”

Are these two ways of saying the same thing, or was there something wrong with using the short form in my response? In challenge 15 and earlier in challenge 16, the short form was used in sentences such as “I met someone who said she wants to learn Welsh,” with the response being “Nes I gyfarfod rhywun ddwedodd bod hi eisiau dysgu Cymraeg.” Maybe it’s different because the first example was only a sentence fragment?
)

Yn cyntaf, Joanie, Diolch yn fawr iawn am wirfoddoli i helpu ni gyda'r prosiect "checking" Breeze. Dylet ti dderbyn dy gwahoddiad yn fuan iawn.

Secondly, your queries above should probably come under "Questions about ...." If you don't get any useful responses here, can I suggest you re-post them in the Questions thread? http://www.saysomethingin.com/welsh/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10901
hewrop
The Magnificent Saith

Postby Joanie » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:34 pm

hewrop wrote:Yn cyntaf, Joanie, Diolch yn fawr iawn am wirfoddoli i helpu ni gyda'r prosiect "checking" Breeze. Dylet ti dderbyn dy gwahoddiad yn fuan iawn.

Secondly, your queries above should probably come under "Questions about ...." If you don't get any useful responses here, can I suggest you re-post them in the Questions thread? http://www.saysomethingin.com/welsh/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10901

Whoops, sorry! Was trying to respond on my phone and clicked the wrong thread. I’ll repost in the other one.
Joanie
SSiW Member

Postby Gruntius » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:30 am

I'm going through these lessons again just for something to do ...

Lesson 2 - 22:44
English - But I wanted to say something now.

Catrin - O'n i eisiau dweud rhywbeth rwan. (no "ond" at the beginning)

The same with the next sentence at 23:00
English - But I wanted to speak Welsh.

Catrin - O'n i eisiau siarad Cymraeg.
Doing the Gog thingy.

"The_drummist" on Skype if you fancy a chat.

A little bit of my past life ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEhh2dCQYg
Gruntius
SSiW Member

Postby hewrop » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:40 am

Gruntius wrote:I'm going through these lessons again just for something to do ...

Lesson 2 - 22:44
English - But I wanted to say something now.

Catrin - O'n i eisiau dweud rhywbeth rwan. (no "ond" at the beginning)

The same with the next sentence at 23:00
English - But I wanted to speak Welsh.

Catrin - O'n i eisiau siarad Cymraeg.

Thanks Geraint
Just to confirm we have a Checking stage in place now on the Breeze platform. If you want to join the volunteers, please see my message of 26 Mar 2014, 15:13 (a few posts up) but we seem to have enough to meet the work flow right now.

The process is working quite well IMO and, in particular, we are evolving a consensus on what (inevitable) slips and glitches need to be addressed and which can be tolerated without adversely affecting the lesson.
hewrop
The Magnificent Saith

Postby Aran » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:43 am

hewrop wrote:The process is working quite well IMO and, in particular, we are evolving a consensus on what (inevitable) slips and glitches need to be addressed and which can be tolerated without adversely affecting the lesson.

Can I just say:

:seren: :seren: :seren:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Gruntius » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:16 pm

Ok, sorry, say no more. :roll:
Doing the Gog thingy.

"The_drummist" on Skype if you fancy a chat.

A little bit of my past life ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEhh2dCQYg
Gruntius
SSiW Member

PreviousNext

Return to Asking Questions