Course 1 (new framework) teething problems | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Where you can try and pick what few brains we have...

Re: Course 1 (new framework) teething problems

Postby brigitte » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:40 pm

Guten Abend Huw,
the two things are indeed not too bad and I hadn't mentioned them if you hadn't asked to tell you problems.
Maybe what I hear is not hissing (not sure about the correct English word) it could be breathing, maybe Catrin is too near at the micro, but I hear it only in this section (where "ges i amser da" is introduced) When Aran introduces "a glass or two" the sound is again perfect.
But it is not bad at all, I can easily understand what Catrin say.
Es tut mir leid, wenn ich dir unnötige Arbeit verursacht habe.
brigitte
SSiW Member

Postby Gruntius » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:08 pm

Huw, I would be happy and privileged to act as proof reader/listener but (there's always a but) I am not techno minded and have no pc at the moment. I have downloaded lessons recently using my mum's laptop and I have an iPod touch so can listen to lessons using the app. Will this be a problem? All other internet stuff is done on my phone.
Doing the Gog thingy.

"The_drummist" on Skype if you fancy a chat.

A little bit of my past life ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEhh2dCQYg
Gruntius
SSiW Member

Postby MikeEllwood » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:10 pm

Wasn't going to do the new course yet (until I'd got a bit more of C3 under my tightening belt), but thought I'd listen to this lesson (17) and see if I could hear the hiss...jury out on that one, but at 05:50-ish,

Catrin says: dyleni ddim isio amser da
Aran: don'i ddim isio amser da

...and I think Aran's version is the one required. (Just a bit too confusing to let go to keep people awake, I suspect).

In passing though: gosh ... this is an accelerated course.....imperfect tense, short forms, possessives and goodness knows what else, and it's only lesson 17 of course 1. I assume Course 3 in the New Framework will be the SSiW PhD?

:D
Last edited by MikeEllwood on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern: Flirting with C3

O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau
MikeEllwood

Postby hewrop » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:14 pm

Im Gegenteil, Brigitte, deine Feedback und all die anderen sehr geschätzt sind. :smile:
I shall be looking into all the comments and reporting to Aran who, as the owner, must have the final decision about what needs to be changed.

Meanwhile, I hope people will keep the comments coming.
hewrop
The Magnificent Saith

Postby brigitte » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:31 pm

hewrop wrote:Would you be kind enough to let me know your responses and also whether you would be prepared to join the Breeze community as a proof reader/auditor?

Diolch pawb

Noswaith dda eto, Huw
If this proof-reading is nothing else but listening and telling you (or someone else) about mistakes and glitches, and doesn't require PC knowledge or skills, I'd like to offer my help.
If you have enough volunteers for SSiW, I'd also like to help with any other language, Cornish, Dutch, Latin or Spanish.
brigitte
SSiW Member

Postby hewrop » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:53 pm

brigitte wrote:If this proof-reading is nothing else but listening and telling you (or someone else) about mistakes and glitches, and doesn't require PC knowledge or skills, I'd like to offer my help.

Ausgezeichnet! Brigitte. :D
That's exactly what I have in mind and, if I get the go-ahead with my Breeze suggestion, I'll certainly be in touch.

For you and Lurch2 who has also kindly responded, I would say that the current team doing the processing are pretty well on top of the work flow in Welsh and the other languages but you're willingness to help is noted and appreciated.
hewrop
The Magnificent Saith

Postby MikeEllwood » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:54 pm

hewrop wrote:Danke sehr, Brigitte. I'll start with your comments and work backwards through the others.
brigitte wrote:Two little things I found:
lesson 16, 22.50: Catrin says "ffilm" instead of "llyfr"

I did catch this one, but let it go on the basis of the policy that has gradually been agreed to allow minor slips through if they are more likely to waken people up than mislead them. :smile: Do you think that's a bad idea?
brigitte wrote:lesson 17: between 26.20 and 28.26 there is, when Catrin speaks, a hissing in the background (it's the part where "ges i amser da" is introduced )

I deliberately use a fairly basic sound card and set of earphones and windows media player when I am auditing lessons and I haven't been able to detect the hissing you refer to. Would you be kind enough to check again perhaps on another system to see if it's still there? We have already discovered that things can go wrong in the downloading process.
Diolch eto
Huw

I have moderately good earphones, probably only an average sound-card, and definitely less than average hearing, but I didn't notice any hissing in lesson 17. I should say that I've been told I have high-frequency hearing-loss, which may be why I missed it.

I'm still reeling at the level of this supposedly level 1 course....seems to be lots of the old C1, C2, and (probably) C3) rolled into 1, and we are still only at lesson 17?

Impressed, is what I am. ~(my version of a focused sentence in English).
Northern: Flirting with C3

O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau
MikeEllwood

Postby essenbee » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:05 am

hewrop wrote:....or, better still, from a small group of good proof readers/listeners such as Geraint, Vaughan, Stu and anyone else who has the skill and a little time...

I would be overjoyed to help in this or any other way deemed useful Huw. I think you are all doing a tremendous job, and would love to support your efforts in a practical way...

Hwyl

Stu
Ar hyn o bryd, dw i'n astudio: Cwrs 3 Gwers 20 (fersiwn y Gogledd)
Yn ddiweddar, dw i wedi bod yn gwrando ar Meinir Gwilym
Beth ydw i'n darllen? Alecs Rider 1: Tarandon
Fel 'na ma' i a fel 'na fydd hi
essenbee
SSiW Member

Postby hewrop » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:26 am

essenbee wrote:
hewrop wrote:....or, better still, from a small group of good proof readers/listeners such as Geraint, Vaughan, Stu and anyone else who has the skill and a little time...

I would be overjoyed to help in this or any other way deemed useful Huw. I think you are all doing a tremendous job, and would love to support your efforts in a practical way...

Hwyl

Stu

I've replied to your kind PM and am very happy to make public my appreciation of your generous offer which I hope to make use of soon. :diolch:
hewrop
The Magnificent Saith

Postby essenbee » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:01 pm

Wna' i edrych ymlaen at dy neges, Huw :D .

Fedra' i ddim aros i ddechrau (ond mae geni i Bootcamp y gynta' :shock: )

Diolch,

stu
Ar hyn o bryd, dw i'n astudio: Cwrs 3 Gwers 20 (fersiwn y Gogledd)
Yn ddiweddar, dw i wedi bod yn gwrando ar Meinir Gwilym
Beth ydw i'n darllen? Alecs Rider 1: Tarandon
Fel 'na ma' i a fel 'na fydd hi
essenbee
SSiW Member

PreviousNext

Return to Asking Questions