Haunted by a melody | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Where you can try and pick what few brains we have...

Haunted by a melody

Postby hywel_dda » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:38 am

I want to express a positive musical experience. Plagio and poeni are suggested translations for haunting which really don't work in this context. Can anyone please suggest any other alternatives?
hywel_dda

Re: Haunted by a melody

Postby dinas » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:06 am

hywel_dda wrote:I want to express a positive musical experience. Plagio and poeni are suggested translations for haunting which really don't work in this context. Can anyone please suggest any other alternatives?

Maybe of help, Hywel...
haunting1 a. (tune Etc): [-]
atgofus, swynol (=nostalgic): hiraethus, hiraethlon (=persistent, recurring): cyniweiriol, diollwng (=nightmarish): hunllefus, cythryblus

adleisiol 1. evocative adj. haunting adj.

adleisio 1. to echo v. adleisi- to rebound v. adleisi- to resound v. adleisi- to reverberate v. adleisi-
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

Re: Haunted by a melody

Postby hywel_dda » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:43 am

Diolch. Mae Geriadur yr Academi yw'r ateb.

Hwyl
hywel_dda

Return to Asking Questions