Which word | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Where you can try and pick what few brains we have...

Which word

Postby gwladgarwr » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:29 am

Hi Can anybody please help with a small point of what word to use,listening to Radio Cymru, and reading Golwg etc, there are two words for "recommend" which are used, "argymell and Cymeradwyo". Are they used in specific situations or are they one of those interchangeable words which can be used either or? Thank you
Gwisg Genhinen Yn Dy Gap A Gwisg O Yn Dy Galon
gwladgarwr
SSiW Member

Re: Which word

Postby dinas » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:46 am

Hope this helps...It's helped me. Thanks for asking.

recommend v.t. [-]

1. to recommend [to] someone to do something cynghori rhywun i wneud rhywbeth, annog rhywun i wneud rhywbeth, argymell bod rhywun yn gwneud rhywbeth I have been recommended [to come] to you cyfeiriwyd fi atoch 2. to recommend someone for a post cymeradwyo rhywun ar gyfer swydd, cefnogi rhywun ar gyfer swydd, argymell rhywun ar gyfer swydd she has little to recommend her nid oes ganddi fawr ddim o'i phlaid the hotel is to be recommended (for its cooking) rhaid canmol y gwesty (am ei goginio), rhaid cymeradwyo'r gwesty (am ei goginio) (policy Etc): argymell not [to be] recommended annerbyniol, anghymeradwy Mil: to recommend someone for bravery cymeradwyo rhywun am ei ddewrder, enwebu rhywun am ei ddewrder

"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

Postby Dee » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:19 am

Where did you find that Kim? It looks like a useful source.
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby dinas » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:27 am

Dee wrote:Where did you find that Kim? It looks like a useful source.

From our old friend, Dee...http://techiaith.bangor.ac.uk/Geiriadur ... 93&lang=en
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:20 am

You argymell when you're specifically suggesting what someone else should do - you cymeradwyo something when you let it be known that you think highly of it.

But as with everything, the best way to get the hang of this kind of difference is just to be in as many conversations as possible, and listen to as much Welsh as possible, and it will (gradually) become obvious to you from context without you needing to think about it...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby gwladgarwr » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Hi Dinas,Aran and Dee sorry for not getting back sooner, thank you all for the replies,good clear explanations,understand now the difference.
Gwisg Genhinen Yn Dy Gap A Gwisg O Yn Dy Galon
gwladgarwr
SSiW Member

Postby Dee » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:20 pm

Ah, I've just got back to this. It's really useful for me because I tend to confuse 'awgrymu' and 'argymell', and when 'cymeradwyo' is thrown in I get in a total pickle.

Now the way I see it, in a simplified way of thinking about it, is:

awgrymu - to suggest something
argymell - to recommend something (for someone to consider doing etc.)
cymeradwy - to commend something (in response to it happening - so including applauding, which I've seen it used for)

and I shall now take note of when I hear the different words and see if they fit my simple framework :D
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby Arianrhod » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:58 pm

Dee wrote:Ah, I've just got back to this. It's really useful for me because I tend to confuse 'awgrymu' and 'argymell', and when 'cymeradwyo' is thrown in I get in a total pickle.

Now the way I see it, in a simplified way of thinking about it, is:

awgrymu - to suggest something
argymell - to recommend something (for someone to consider doing etc.)
cymeradwy - to commend something (in response to it happening - so including applauding, which I've seen it used for)

and I shall now take note of when I hear the different words and see if they fit my simple framework :D

Yes, that's how I differentiate. When 'cymeradwyo' comes to mind, I see hands clapping.
Wastad yn siarad Cymraeg... i'r hen, hen gi.
(southern version) Cwrs 3 Gwers 23
Arianrhod
SSiW Member

Postby Dee » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:25 pm

:clap: :wink:
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Return to Asking Questions