Nouns and gender | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Where you can try and pick what few brains we have...

Re: Nouns and gender

Postby simonwalton » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:04 am

Craig F wrote:What’s really happening the SSiW way is that we are learning sound pattern association. We say it this way because ‘it sounds right’. Sometimes this has unintended consequences. I will want to always drink the ‘wine’ and shut the ‘door’. It just rolls of the tongue.

Come to think of it, I started using the fast lane at the local pool since course 2... :wink:
simonwalton

Postby cwmgoch » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:53 am

Aran wrote:Are you crossing it off your worry list yet?...:wink:

Ydw! Diolch yn fawr iawn pawb. That's exactly what I wanted to hear! It's been in the back of my mind for a while now, so it's great to hear that there's no problem with carrying on doing it the way I am at the moment, which is basically the way Rob describes above. Diolch again. :D
Please feel free to correct my Welsh. Currently on Cwrs 3 De, Gwers 4.
Dw i'n moyn llenwi'r we gydag amlgyfrwng hyfryd yn Gymraeg!
cwmgoch

Postby MikeEllwood » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:42 pm

I have slightly worried about this from time to time, not, of course, for words we learn on the course, because we learn them in a way that the gender isn't consciously learned, but the right way to say tham is (e.g. yr gath). And we know those words have been selected to fit in with the learning framework of SSiW.

I'm more concerned about words I pick up along the way, without the magic SSiW framework(s) to guide me :-) With e.g. French and German, you just learn the article with the noun, and all else follows. It's not so simple in Welsh.

So I'd thought of trying to put each new noun into a sentence or three with an adjective that soft-mutates for feminine, and then either writing it, or better still, voice-recording it, and try variations, SSiW style.
Once I'd "learned" it, I would no longer care whether it was masculine or feminine: I just know how it sounds with those adjectives, so I'd be learning it in a "natural" (or semi-natural) way.

However, I wasn't sure if that was foolproof, and I'm not sure if there are enough suitable adjectives to be able to make up enough plausible sentences.

Anyway, although the above was my sincere attention, I haven't actually got around to doing it (yet), at least not in any regular or systematic way.

When I think about it, if I come across a new word that I feel might be useful, e.g. on radio Cymru or S4C, I also try to "capture" the sentence or phrase in which it was used, and hopefully, if I do that enough times, I'll be learning the gender implicitly (learning without learning, or learning without straining or learning without gurning :) ).
Northern: Flirting with C3

O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau
MikeEllwood

Postby Gruntius » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:32 pm

My dad (first language Welsh speaker from Tumble) gave me a good tip about learning gender ... Don't. He told me that when he wanted to buy two of something and didn't know whether it was dau or dwy he would say "ga i (x), ac un arall os gwelwch yn dda?" it worked for him for 78 years so I'm taking the same approach. I'll learn them bit by bit when they show themselves to me.
Doing the Gog thingy.

"The_drummist" on Skype if you fancy a chat.

A little bit of my past life ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEhh2dCQYg
Gruntius
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:28 pm

Gruntius wrote:I'll learn them bit by bit when they show themselves to me.

This approach is still working for me...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Dee » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:14 pm

Aran wrote:
Gruntius wrote:I'll learn them bit by bit when they show themselves to me.

This approach is still working for me...:)

I've found the only time I really worry about it is when I'm writing something formal for my class homework and then I can just check in a dictionary if I really need to, so dim problem! :D
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Previous

Return to Asking Questions