How to say "Have" as a command | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Where you can try and pick what few brains we have...

How to say "Have" as a command

Postby MusicalDragon » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:48 am

Helo pawb!

One of my friends wants me to learn how to say, "Have a nice life" in Welsh. (The phrase has been an ongoing joke between us.)

However, I'm not sure which form of "have" is correct and how you would change it for a command. (I'm assuming it functions like a command, (You) have a nice life, or (You) Have a cookie.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
MusicalDragon

Re: How to say "Have" as a command

Postby Aran » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:42 am

This is a mis-match, I'm afraid - it just doesn't work like that in Welsh, so we just don't say things exactly like that. It's very common (and eye-wateringly wrong!) to see learners crossing their fingers and going for 'Cael diwrnod da!', but it's a complete non-starter.

You can do a fairly close 'like for like' by switching to 'gobeithio gei di/gewch chi' - even that isn't really 'right', because it ought to be 'dwi'n gobeithio', but you'll hear it very often indeed. So, 'gobeithio gei di ddiwrnod braf'. Alternatively, you'd need to switch tactics altogether and say something like 'Mwynha dy ddiwrnod!'...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby sumsmeister » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:23 am

Really good example of where a language "fails" to map, word for word, onto another one. Reminds me that you can say one word in German for the "Captain of the Danube steamship company" :-
Donau-dampfschifffahrts-gesellschafts-kapitän. Hyphenated, yes, but one word.
It's not quite the same idea, but a parallel one, as it highlights a practice common in one language that doesn't necessarily happen in another. That's not the longest German word, but it's pretty substantial..
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby cwmgoch » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:26 am

Aran wrote:It's very common (and eye-wateringly wrong!) to see learners crossing their fingers and going for 'Cael diwrnod da!', but it's a complete non-starter.

I'm sure I've plumped for that on more than a few occasions, so diolch for that Aran! I will definitely start using 'Mwynha dy ddiwrnod' instead.
Please feel free to correct my Welsh. Currently on Cwrs 3 De, Gwers 4.
Dw i'n moyn llenwi'r we gydag amlgyfrwng hyfryd yn Gymraeg!
cwmgoch

Postby Lurch2 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:40 am

Just to point out this question normally comes up as a query about "have a nice day!", which is what Aran slipped back into translating.

Assuming the same form is valid, presumably something like "mwynha dy fywyd!" (bywyd) ?

Unless there is a more natural word for "lifetime/life" in this context.

*In other words, don't trust what I say! :wink:

Edit- as for "have a cookie", I think the word "cymryd" - that is, 'to take' - would be used in the imperative. So some combination of "cymer" or "cymera" (or cymerwch!) (?) along with "bisged", "bisgeden" or "bisgïen"?

Something like "cymer fisgeden" ?

*I refer you to the above.
Please feel free to correct my Welsh. My English, however, is beyond all hope.

Lurch2
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:05 pm

Lurch2 wrote:Assuming the same form is valid, presumably something like "mwynha dy fywyd!" (bywyd) ?

Spot on, and good catch! [Note to self: read more carefully].

And yes, with biscuits and cups of tea and so on it's normal to say 'Take a...' - so cymer/cymerwch (or more casually cym/cymwch)...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby MusicalDragon » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:25 pm

Thanks, everyone! I thought that this one wouldn't be a very tidy translation, but thanks for the help!
MusicalDragon

Postby MikeEllwood » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:18 pm

sumsmeister wrote:Really good example of where a language "fails" to map, word for word, onto another one. Reminds me that you can say one word in German for the "Captain of the Danube steamship company" :-
Donau-dampfschifffahrts-gesellschafts-kapitän. Hyphenated, yes, but one word.
It's not quite the same idea, but a parallel one, as it highlights a practice common in one language that doesn't necessarily happen in another. That's not the longest German word, but it's pretty substantial..

Yes, I was looking recently for a German equivalent of "an accent you could cut with a knife", and what I found in dict.cc (which usually offers colloquial expressions where they exist) just had the literal German for "to speak with a thick accent". There almost certainly is a colloquial way to say it, but "cut with a knife" doesn't cut it. :)
Northern: Flirting with C3

O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau
MikeEllwood

Postby daioni » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:37 pm

sumsmeister wrote:Donau-dampfschifffahrts-gesellschafts-kapitän. Hyphenated, yes, but one word.

Not hyphenated - sorry.
daioni
SSiW Member

Postby sumsmeister » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:06 pm

daioni wrote:
sumsmeister wrote:Donau-dampfschifffahrts-gesellschafts-kapitän. Hyphenated, yes, but one word.

Not hyphenated - sorry.

Thanks, daioni, long time no talk to, unfortunately :sad:
I checked it on Wikipaedia or a similar source, I believe, so was led astray, the hyphens were to facilitate understanding, then, by separating recognizable words which are simply cemented together in German proper. Should have known not to trust a non-German online resource... :-?
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Return to Asking Questions