Pronunciation of myfyriwr | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Where you can try and pick what few brains we have...

Re: Pronunciation of myfyriwr

Postby simonwalton » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:01 am

Thanks everyone for your input - it's very clear to me now! Also Owain thanks for the recommendation of the Welsh Learners' Dictionary. It's actually quite cheap to buy from Amazon via a third party so I should get mine next week. :dance:
User avatar
simonwalton
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:46 am
Real name:: Simon

Re: Pronunciation of myfyriwr

Postby MikeEllwood » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:17 pm

MikeEllwood wrote:
http://www.ivona.com/en/



If anyone does happen to use Ivona, don't make the mistake I just did, which was to select "Welsh English"!
Doesn't work for Welsh words!

The proper settings: "Welsh, Geraint" or "Welsh, Gwyneth" are pretty fair though.
Northern: Flirting with C3

O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau
MikeEllwood
 
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:28 am
Location: Abingdon, Oxfordshire, England.
Real name:: Mike Ellwood

Re: Pronunciation of myfyriwr

Postby crush » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:36 pm

Apparently you can download the voices for free, too. On this site they say you just have to send them an e-mail saying whether you want the male or female voice and they'll send it to you with a license key.
They have been developed as part of an innovative partnership between IVONA Software (Text-to-Speech company), the Welsh Government and Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB). The voices have been developed to work with all standard screen-readers and on any computer running the Microsoft operating platform.

The voices are available free to both individuals and non-commercial organisations by emailing your name and choice of voice (male or female) to technews@rnib.org.uk. You will receive an email with a licence code and links to the download file within three working days.
crush
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:15 am

Re: Pronunciation of myfyriwr

Postby MikeEllwood » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:12 pm

Good find Crush. I had not spotted that.
Northern: Flirting with C3

O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau
MikeEllwood
 
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:28 am
Location: Abingdon, Oxfordshire, England.
Real name:: Mike Ellwood

Re: Pronunciation of myfyriwr

Postby Lurch2 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:03 am

Erm, as far as I can see, the Ivona site is free and there is no need to sign up for it and give your email?

Am I missing something?
Please feel free to correct my Welsh. My English, however, is beyond all hope.

Image
User avatar
Lurch2
SSiW Member
 
Posts: 938
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:42 pm
Real name:: Owain

Re: Pronunciation of myfyriwr

Postby leiafee » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:06 am

Lurch2 wrote:Erm, as far as I can see, the Ivona site is free and there is no need to sign up for it and give your email?

Am I missing something?


Free to use online... If you want to slot them into your screenreader or something, things are different. You can buy the Welsh voices on the site. but it seems the RNIB have struck a deal. Not sure it's entirely intended for learners are opposed to people who need it for screenreading but maybe.
User avatar
leiafee
SSiW Member
 
Posts: 1385
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:53 pm
Location: Abertawe
Real name:: Leia Fee (yn wir!)

Re: Pronunciation of myfyriwr

Postby Lurch2 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:13 am

leiafee wrote:
Lurch2 wrote:Erm, as far as I can see, the Ivona site is free and there is no need to sign up for it and give your email?

Am I missing something?


Free to use online... If you want to slot them into your screenreader or something, things are different. You can buy the Welsh voices on the site. but it seems the RNIB have struck a deal. Not sure it's entirely intended for learners are opposed to people who need it for screenreading but maybe.


Ah, I see! Thanks!
Please feel free to correct my Welsh. My English, however, is beyond all hope.

Image
User avatar
Lurch2
SSiW Member
 
Posts: 938
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:42 pm
Real name:: Owain

Re: Pronunciation of myfyriwr

Postby dinas » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:21 am

Lurch2 wrote:
leiafee wrote:
Lurch2 wrote:Erm, as far as I can see, the Ivona site is free and there is no need to sign up for it and give your email?

Am I missing something?


Free to use online... If you want to slot them into your screenreader or something, things are different. You can buy the Welsh voices on the site. but it seems the RNIB have struck a deal. Not sure it's entirely intended for learners are opposed to people who need it for screenreading but maybe.


Ah, I see! Thanks!


Ivonas a great resource: I use it a lot...http://www.ivona.com/en/?tk=37XnyXGfrZ
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
User avatar
dinas
SSiW Member
 
Posts: 2280
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:35 pm
Real name:: kim

Re: Pronunciation of myfyriwr

Postby simonwalton » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:23 am

dinas wrote:Ivonas a great resource: I use it a lot...http://www.ivona.com/en/?tk=37XnyXGfrZ


Wow that's really good!
User avatar
simonwalton
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:46 am
Real name:: Simon

Re: Pronunciation of myfyriwr

Postby Sionned » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:35 pm

essenbee wrote:The feminine version is myfyriwraig.

According to my usual dictionary (Gareth King's) the feminine version is actually spelled myfyrwraig (without the i) - though it is apparently so little used that it doesn't show up at all in Y Geiriadur Mawr! GM also has another word for student - efrydydd - which is actually a lot easier to say!
Please do read the forum guidelines - they're very short!
And let me know where you live, and I'll put you on the map!
User avatar
Sionned
SSiW Angel
 
Posts: 4345
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:56 pm
Location: Missouri, USA





 


PreviousNext

Return to Asking Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron