Questions about Course 1 (New Framework) | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Where you can try and pick what few brains we have...

Re: Questions about Course 1 (New Framework)

Postby Aran » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:45 pm

Joanie wrote:Are these two ways of saying the same thing

Yes...:)

And actually, kind of a slip on my part, since really those usages ought to be consistent, even though both those variations are very common...:)

And your spelling is great!
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby jdanderson » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:58 pm

I've just been through the new challenge 16 and 17 and have a question.

The construction "Wnes i e fwynhau" and similar come up.
I would have guessed "Wnes i fwynhau fo" before this. Is the 'e' a southernism creeping in, or is there more going on here? If the right answer is "don't worry about it -- wait and see" then that's fine!

Also, I notice that over the course of these two lessons it is sometimes 'e fwynhau' and sometimes 'e mwynhau' Both Catrin and Aran seem to go back and forth between both.
Same for sometimes 'e ddarllen' and sometimes 'e darllen'

Jeff
jdanderson

Postby brigitte » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:37 pm

First of all, you're right, don't worry. :star:
It has to do with gender. If you speak about a book, llyfr, that's masculine, so: I read it is: "dwi'n eu ddarllen o"
the "eu" changes the next word. to enjoy it (a masculine word) eu fwynhau fo.
If you speak about a ffilm (feminine): I watch it: dwi'n eu gwylio hi, to enjoy it (feminine) eu mwynhau hi. No change of the following verb
When people speak naturally, they leave out either the "eu" before or the "fo " or "hi" after the verb. So if you say: "nes i fwynhau fo" or "nes i fwynhau hi" that's also o.k.
brigitte
SSiW Member

Postby lilitiger2 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:12 pm

Just finished Challenge 14 (also went back and listening to the other course 1 again, very much enjoying it) and yes, my head is spinning just a bit! :wow

1. Order in a sentence. Someone who wanted to help (as the subject of a sentence). I was thinking (PLEASE excuse the crazy spellings!)
Oif rhywun eisio helpu, but it is Rhywun oif isha helpu. Is there a correct order? Did I miss it?
I am practicing to wrap my head around what I THINK is the order - My sister wanted to speak with you- oif fy chwaer eisio siarad evo chdi ?????? Again sorry for the spellings!!!

2. So it's dy VROWD, and fy MROWD..right? or something like that?

3. dunass evanc Viddorol, this mutates, so it's NOT diddorol??

4. sidd yn trio VS sy'n napod? Do you just learn which verbs are sydd un and which are sy'n? (not including eisio and anyen)

5. do ni ddim vs wnes i ddim?

6. The old man in the tavern said you speak Welsh well.
lilitiger2
SSiW Member

Postby lilitiger2 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:34 pm

uh oh, posted before I was ready (multitasking!)

but, just wantd to say I am really enjoying both the old and the new courses and thank you for this fabulous program!
lilitiger2
SSiW Member

Postby brigitte » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:46 pm

Hello lilitiger,
I wanted to answer your questions, but your second post came at the same time.
Do you still want an answer or did everything get clear for you ?
brigitte
SSiW Member

Postby lilitiger2 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:48 pm

Oh any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not sure everything has ever been clear for me but I'm having fun sorting it out!

and thanks!
lilitiger2
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:06 pm

Brigitte's answer is perfect, except for one small detail, which is that it's 'ei', not 'eu', when you're talking about a single thing - 'eu' is when you're talking about more than one thing (which handily enough sounds exactly the same!)...:)

lilitiger2 wrote:1. Order in a sentence. Someone who wanted to help (as the subject of a sentence). I was thinking (PLEASE excuse the crazy spellings!)
Oif rhywun eisio helpu, but it is Rhywun oif isha helpu. Is there a correct order? Did I miss it?

The spellings are great! They show that your accent is extremely good...:)

Oedd rhywun isio helpu is 'someone wanted to help'. Rhywun oedd isio helpu is '...someone who wanted to help'...:)

lilitiger2 wrote:I am practicing to wrap my head around what I THINK is the order - My sister wanted to speak with you- oif fy chwaer eisio siarad evo chdi ?????? Again sorry for the spellings!!!

Yup, perfect! Oedd fy chwaer isio siarad efo chdi...:)

lilitiger2 wrote:2. So it's dy VROWD, and fy MROWD..right? or something like that?

Yes, exactly...:)

lilitiger2 wrote:3. dunass evanc Viddorol, this mutates, so it's NOT diddorol??

Slight mis-hear happening hear - dynes ifanc ddiddorol...:) So that's a hard 'th' sound, as in 'the'.

lilitiger2 wrote:4. sidd yn trio VS sy'n napod? Do you just learn which verbs are sydd un and which are sy'n? (not including eisio and anyen)

Nope, 'sydd yn' and 'sy'n' are interchangeable - just like 'do not' and 'don't'...:)

lilitiger2 wrote:5. do ni ddim vs wnes i ddim?

Not sure exactly what the question is here, but I'm guessing it's basically about the difference between the past continuous (do'n i ddim matches well(ish) to 'I wasn't doing') versus a specific point in time (which overlaps with the English 'I did it (exactly then)'). Hope that helps a bit - but don't worry about it, because you'll get used to using the right ones from context and repetition...:)

And thank you very much indeed for your very kind words...:)
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby lilitiger2 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:34 pm

Wow! Diolch!!!

Thank you SO much! That really does clear up a lot! THat really helps too with the order of the sentence!

but, on the mishearing, because that might clear up the last bit, what am I hearing for

"he said that she" (I am not even going to attempt to spell it)

I get the "bod hi" (I think) but not sure about the first word!

Eto, diolch yn fawr!
dw i n moynhau siarad Cymraeg, ond fedra i ddim cofia beth dw i eisau deud (hyd yn hyn) :D
lilitiger2
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:51 am

lilitiger2 wrote:"he said that she"

Ddudodd o bod hi...:)

lilitiger2 wrote:dw i n moynhau siarad Cymraeg, ond fedra i ddim cofia beth dw i eisau deud (hyd yn hyn) :D

Waw, gwych!...:star:
Aran
SSi CEO

PreviousNext

Return to Asking Questions