Questions about Course 1 (New Framework) | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Where you can try and pick what few brains we have...

Questions about Course 1 (New Framework)

Postby Tahl » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:01 pm

This thread is for questions about the new-framework SSIW Course 1 lessons that began publication in mid-February 2014.

:star:
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Re: Questions about Course 1 (New Framework)

Postby Joanie » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:59 pm

Thanks for making this thread, Tahl!

In the original course, we learned that to make a negative statement such as "I didn't see anything," you make a double negative saying "I didn't see nothing." Not sure exactly which words this type of structure has worked with, so not sure if there are other subtleties at play.

Now I'm curious about this "unrhyw beth" business! :) I know it popped up earlier in the new course, but an example close at hand is lesson 10 at 33:45 where the sentence is "I didn't want to ask you anything else." My answer was "Do n'i ddim isho gofyn dim byd arall wrthot ti" while the given response was "Do n'i ddim isho gofyn unrhyw beth arall wrthot ti."

(OK, I lied - my response started with "Do n'i ddim yn moyn," but you know, when in Rome...)
Joanie
SSiW Member

Postby essenbee » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:29 am

S'mae Joanie,

You must be ahead of me, I have only got to Challenge 6 so far, so gofyn hasn't been introduced (as far as I recall). However, I would say that "anything else" is different from "nothing" here. The first implies that I have asked some things, but I am not going to ask any further things from now on. The latter implies that I have not and will not ask you for/about things at all.

Do'n i ddim isio gofyn unrhywbeth arall wrthot ti
Do'n i ddim isio gofyn dim byd wrthot ti

Hope that helps!

Hwyl,

Stu
Ar hyn o bryd, dw i'n astudio: Cwrs 3 Gwers 20 (fersiwn y Gogledd)
Yn ddiweddar, dw i wedi bod yn gwrando ar Meinir Gwilym
Beth ydw i'n darllen? Alecs Rider 1: Tarandon
Fel 'na ma' i a fel 'na fydd hi
essenbee
SSiW Member

Postby Joanie » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:15 pm

Thanks Stu. I'm still not certain that there isn't more to it - I had vaguely remembered seeing this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9519&hilit=unrhyw that kind of addresses the subject.
Joanie
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:58 pm

Joanie wrote:My answer was "Do n'i ddim isho gofyn dim byd arall wrthot ti" while the given response was "Do n'i ddim isho gofyn unrhyw beth arall wrthot ti."

Both of which would be fine...:) Dim byd maybe sounds a bit more emphatic in this particularly situation - but you're in classic Course 3 'plenty of options' territory here...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby geraldmurphy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:40 pm

Hi, Although I've now started motoring through Course 1 (old version) my wife has just started Course 1(old version) and she is working on Lesson 2. Having seen some encouraging comments about the new version, would she be better restarting on Lesson 1 (New version)? It would possibly be a good idea for me also to restart and for us to learn the new material together. (I've just started Lesson 19).

Gerald Murphy
geraldmurphy

Postby Aran » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:35 am

geraldmurphy wrote:Having seen some encouraging comments about the new version, would she be better restarting on Lesson 1 (New version)?

That's a tricky question! I think she would be, but that's a gut feeling with more than a little bias (because I'll be horrified if the new course doesn't turn out to be significantly better!).

Having said that, the important thing is that you don't feel locked in - so if you give the new stuff a try, and don't feel great about it, come on back to the old stuff - and vice versa...:)

It'd be really interesting to hear which way you decide to go, and how it works out for you...:)
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby essenbee » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:04 am

S'mae Gerald,

It cannot harm to do both versions of course 1 at the same time, as far as I can see. They cover the same basic groundwork and are complimentary as well, with the new version challenging you to build longer sentences from quite early on, which is great preparation for the later courses. But go with whichever feels right in your gut, as Aran says. If I was starting today, I would work with both versions to get the most practice.

Hwyl,

Stu
Ar hyn o bryd, dw i'n astudio: Cwrs 3 Gwers 20 (fersiwn y Gogledd)
Yn ddiweddar, dw i wedi bod yn gwrando ar Meinir Gwilym
Beth ydw i'n darllen? Alecs Rider 1: Tarandon
Fel 'na ma' i a fel 'na fydd hi
essenbee
SSiW Member

Postby geraldmurphy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:16 am

Hi again,
Thanks for your answers. To help me make up my mind I downloaded the new material - Lessons/Challenges 1-10 - and started to listen to Lesson 1 but I think that I must be missing something. Lesson 1 starts off by asking whether you've listened to the Introduction. It soon becomes obvious why: It's clear that new vocabulary has been provided in the Introduction that was not included in the early lessons of the old course. I checked back on the new site to find how I'd missed downloading the Introduction but there was no mention of it in the downloadable list of new material. is it available yet? Is there a course guide available yet like that for the old course? where have I gone wrong? The New Course does sound worthwhile for my wife and I to work together on but we will need that Introduction.
geraldmurphy

Postby Aran » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:31 am

geraldmurphy wrote:It soon becomes obvious why: It's clear that new vocabulary has been provided in the Introduction that was not included in the early lessons of the old course.

Wps, good catch - I forgot we hadn't stuck the introduction up (after pulling it out of the original Lesson 1 to make it standalone) - diolch!

But... there are no words introduced in the introduction - it's just about how to use the course. Do you think that you're hearing words in Lesson 1 (new) that haven't been introduced?
Aran
SSi CEO

Next

Return to Asking Questions