Questions about Course 1 (New Framework) | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Where you can try and pick what few brains we have...

Re: Questions about Course 1 (New Framework)

Postby lilitiger2 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:08 pm

Wow...this is really, REALLY helpful. And I am going back to some earlier lessons to see what else I have misheard. What comes to mind right away is challenge 7 (I think) and "what you said"...going for pure phonetics, I hear " beh VI testi" or something like that. Is that V sound actually a TH sound (like "the")?

Truly, this is awesome. On the "she said" bit from challenge 14, i was hearing, purely phonetically, "vidov hi bod hi" :mrgreen: , Soooooooo, glad to clear that up! Will be listening again (I think my horses and cats are now fairly conversant!) :D

I feel like those folks listening to Jimi Hendrix - 'scuse me while I kiss this guy!"
lilitiger2
SSiW Member

Postby brigitte » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:29 pm

lilitiger2 wrote: What comes to mind right away is challenge 7 (I think) and "what you said"...going for pure phonetics, I hear " beh VI testi" or something like that. Is that V sound actually a TH sound (like "the")?

You are right. You said is: "Ddudest ti" (at least this is what we learn, the verb to say has many variations).
this "dd" is spoken like a voiced "th" and it really can sound like "v".
The good news: if you can hardly hear, if it's "d", "dd" or "v", those you talk to can't either. So if you say something like: vidov o , most people won't be aware of your misspelling and if they are, they will nevertheless understand what you mean. :wink:
brigitte
SSiW Member

Postby lilitiger2 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:55 pm

Brigitte, Diloch!!!

okay, to really beat and kick this very dead horse:

"She said that" is actually pronounced: thidoth o (with the "th" like "the"??) rather than vidov o? I am REALLY going to have to get that wax out of my ears cuz it still sounds like V to me :lol:

Thanks so much!! Just did 14 again, to be sure!
lilitiger2
SSiW Member

Postby brigitte » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:19 pm

lilitiger2 wrote:okay, to really beat and kick this very dead horse:

"She said that" is actually pronounced: thidoth o (with the "th" like "the"??) rather than vidov o? I am REALLY going to have to get that wax out of my ears cuz it still sounds like V to me :lol:

Well, I'm a bit picky now and say: she said is : "ddudodd hi" but you're right, the first and the last sounds are like "th" like the. :wink:
brigitte
SSiW Member

Postby lilitiger2 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:26 pm

Oh got it! And yes, thidoth HI (not o) (and really, please excuse my horrible spelling, ust trying to very phonetic and very clear.I am NOT up to "sounding things out" yn y Gymraeg!!) and I do know how to spell diolch! I really appreciate this!! Thanks so much for taking the time to help! :D
lilitiger2
SSiW Member

Postby jdanderson » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:42 pm

brigitte wrote:First of all, you're right, don't worry. :star:
It has to do with gender. If you speak about a book, llyfr, that's masculine, so: I read it is: "dwi'n eu ddarllen o"
the "eu" changes the next word. to enjoy it (a masculine word) eu fwynhau fo.
If you speak about a ffilm (feminine): I watch it: dwi'n eu gwylio hi, to enjoy it (feminine) eu mwynhau hi. No change of the following verb
When people speak naturally, they leave out either the "eu" before or the "fo " or "hi" after the verb. So if you say: "nes i fwynhau fo" or "nes i fwynhau hi" that's also o.k.

Thanks much for the explanation, Brigitte. I know we are supposed to sit back and let our brains figure out the patterns without us thinking too hard, but sometimes something comes along that seems to make no sense, and I find it hard to soldier on without at least verifying that I'm not totally confused about everything!

Jeff
jdanderson

Postby Devonlass » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:04 pm

I finished the old course 1 a while ago but thought I would see what the new course was like as I have got stuck on course 2. I have done about the first 6 lessons of the new course and wondered why you decided on this new structure. It appears to be very different from the original and I would say more difficult.
Devonlass
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:33 am

Devonlass wrote:I have done about the first 6 lessons of the new course and wondered why you decided on this new structure.

Mainly because of the experience of having people on Bootcamp who'd done the whole of Course 1 but still had significant gaps in their ability to maintain a conversation. Those gaps won't be there for people who've completed the new Course 1.

Devonlass wrote:It appears to be very different from the original and I would say more difficult.

It's certainly very different! Difficulty is a tricky one to measure - the new approach introduces fewer verbs in the first couple of lessons, and has also removed the problems that made the old Lesson 6 such a stumbling block, but it's a step further away from the traditional approach of I + verb, you + verb etc. That's continuing a process which began with the first course, and has been very fruitful so far in terms of getting people speaking more naturally more quickly, but it does make it seem a little less familiar.

Interestingly, most people who have tried to have conversations and encountered difficulties (which is, er, everyone who's tried to have a conversation!) have felt that the new material covered in the new course is really helpful. As always, though, we'll be paying close attention to the feedback we get from people who start with the new course, and measuring the levels of use, so in due course we'll be able to see fairly clearly which of the courses retains a greater level of users...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Previous

Return to Asking Questions