Please use the new forum...:-) | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Re: Please use the new forum...:-)

Postby lilitiger2 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:02 pm

Is there a forum for technical problems?

I cant access the new site at all! :cry:
nothing!
It lists part of the courses but won't open the pages!

is there somewhere else to log into?

Help?
lilitiger2
SSiW Member

Postby lilitiger2 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:10 pm

and none of the blue boxes (course 1 (new) etc open..) or menu to the upper left...
lilitiger2
SSiW Member

Postby sumsmeister » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:24 pm

Try using THIS LINK and don't forget to log in. Let us know if you need more help!
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby lilitiger2 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:12 am

Nope, that link takes me back to the page I can't access. I see half of the course one boxes - everything shifted left so a lot I can't see, and blue boxes with other options, but nothing opens. nothing at all!
lilitiger2
SSiW Member

Postby Jennifer Burns » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:24 am

Hi Aran
I can`t use it as I can`t yet acess it. I have Explorer 9! I have tried getting the daily practice by opening each time in a new window, but it keeps downloading the same lesson and I can`t change it. I`m sure you will all sort it.
Thank you Jennifer Burns
Jennifer Burns
SSiW Member

Postby sumsmeister » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:47 am

That's so bad, well we have a toolbox and the web mechanic has raided it pretty thoroughly :shock: - tools all over the place so we should have a working solution soon. Is there any way you can get access to a smartphone, or a different PC, or would you be happy to search for Firefox and download and install that instead? It is a different program to Internet Explorer but does the same thing... I use three different programs on the same PC out of curiosity and like them all for different reasons.
Cymru am byth!
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby lilitiger2 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:44 pm

sumsmeister wrote:That's so bad, well we have a toolbox and the web mechanic has raided it pretty thoroughly :shock: -

Is there any way you can get access to a smartphone, or a different PC, or would you be happy to search for Firefox and download and install that instead? It is a different program to Internet Explorer but does the same thing... I use three different programs on the same PC out of curiosity and like them all for different reasons.

Uh oh! so, does that mean this situation is not likely to change for us follk with older computers?? :mrgreen: That basically all possible solutions (hammers, wrenches, blow torches) have been tried to no avail?

I do have a phone that I can SEE the page but the microphone is terrible so I can't HEAR (a problem!) I can for little short bits but not for longer lessons. And no, unfortunately my computer is also Vista, with IE8 and for some reason Firefox/Chrome just freeze it up (tried a few mos ago). It will, indeed be upgraded but not likely for several months when I figure out exactly what I need for my practice and so on.

I have a nice but short little window here when things are a bit slower, before they pick up to crazy pace in a few weeks. Sounds like until I upgrade my computer Welsh will be a bit of casuality! :cry: I imagine this will eventually sort itself out, had just hoped to up the Welsh while I had the time. I have been enjoying it! Good luck with all this!
lilitiger2
SSiW Member

Postby Iestyn » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:38 pm

The simplest short term solution is for you to download a new browser, like Mozilla Firefox: www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new It's pretty simple to do - just follow the instructions, really - and once the compatability issues are sorted out, you can delete it or keep it. (I can't remember why I first dowlloaded Firefox, but I've never gone back to Internet Explorer...)

Hope that helps!
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby sumsmeister » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:35 pm

I'm confident there will be a solution, but it does take time, particularly at the moment when so many different tasks are on the todo list. I'm sorry to hear that you have tried Firefox but it froze your PC :cry: , can I suggest that you try using Safari instead? It is the Mac program and is a little different to use, not least in the way that the "right-click" menu works. But if it does settle in ok, it may well prove a saviour.
Alternatively, you may like to go back to Firefox and try it again and here's why:- in my experience, in the event of something going wrong, Windows is quite good at "realising" a problem has occurred and tries to find a work-around for you. So the next time you try it tells you (mostly - sometimes it doesn't) that it you it is making some changes for you to allow the program to work. Sometimes it takes a few tries before it makes changes.
The other thing is this, Firefox is a bit bad-tempered if you have your Anti-virus program working - it's worth disabling it temporarily, just while you load Firefox. You could uninstall Firefox, then download and save the download for Firefox, then turn off your AV, install Firefox, then restart.
Let us know if it goes well for you - sorry that you are having such a frustrating time - but we all think SSiW is worth chasing... :star:
Cymru am byth!
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby lilitiger2 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:09 pm

Definitely worth chasing!
Unfortunately, at this point neither Firefox nor Chrome are going to be options! I just can't risk the freezing and losing all my work and notes! THAT would be catastrophic!

Don't seem to have any trouble at all accessing work-related sites(guess that should be a hint!). At some point, I can probably track down a friend and download the lessons on their computer, then copy them. i wouldn't get the great community but it would be something.

Anyway, thanks for the help and sure hope things work out with this!
lilitiger2
SSiW Member

PreviousNext

Return to French