Said Something in German | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Said Something in German

Postby Spenny » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:04 pm

Just to say I had a fantastic time in Dresden (and Köln). What was interesting to me about Dresden was that nobody offered to speak English (we perhaps did manage to batter our way through with our pigeon German) and very little English was on offer in the tourist sites. In fact, due to the (rather interestingly unspoken of) history of East German the use of English is clearly behind other areas. As it is a bit of a trek over there too, very few English people to be found - which was nice - don't let RyanAir into Dresden please!

Dresden was a very friendly city, and Pippa is settled in and is about to rent in the trendy new area of the city. We are already planning a return trip to gather her up next year, we enjoyed it so much.

Coming back via Gotha, it was interesting that there was virtually no provision for English speaking in the tourist traps like Schloss Wartburg aside from a few English handouts. It was quite a pleasure to be away from English influence, and I do agree that the Thürlinger Bratwurst is the best in Germany ;)
The philosophies of Aran Jones: "Wanting to buy milk is a state of mind."
Spenny
The Magnificent Saith

Re: Said Something in German

Postby daioni » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:03 pm

Whilst I am glad you had a lovely time (and I agree Dresden is wonderful and trendy and picturesque) - there is no way it can be said the Thueringer Bratwurst (typing this at work, hence no Umlaut on the keyboard) is the best in the world. I am afraid you have been misled!
Fraenkische Bratwuerste (though not necessarily Nuernberger) are the best. I have reached this conclusion after 30 years of extensive research involving field studies jeopardising my personal well-being (by over-stretching my stomach)... Also, the taste depends heavily on the mustard used, but that is a whole new topic for discussion altogether.
daioni
SSiW Member

Postby sumsmeister » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:35 pm

Just for info, if you have access to Character Map, either through the Main Menu (not usual..) or by typing "charmap" into the "run" command dialog box which is usually available, then this will allow you access to all sorts of bits and pieces, including umlaut, accents and arabic characters. Change the font and you can have a lot of fun! If you have a good memory and use them often enough, Character Map also gives a key-board reference for each character as well.
Enjoy!
Gary
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby Callie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:59 am

Glad to hear you enjoyed Dresden - it is a truely beautiful city! If you return to Dresden for a wee bit longer.... make sure to visit Leipzig as well!!!!! It's not THAT far and only takes about an our or so using the fast train connection! But it's well worth a visit!
And you really SHOULD visit either of those during Christmas Market period :harhar:
Callie
SSiW Member

Postby T68teen » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:30 pm

Hi
Sorry to put in a random post. Its been a while since I spoke German so can someone remind me which is correct?

Kann ich ein tasse kaffee haben bitte
Kann ich habe ein tasse kaffee bitte
Ich mochte ein tasse kaffee bitte

Thanks
'We learn more from our mistakes than successes but experience always comes five minutes too late.'
T68teen

Postby Kinetic » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:03 pm

If my I recall my GCSE German properly (which I might not!) then I think the first and third ones are both fine. Though to be properly fussy you'll want capitals on 'Tasse' and 'Kaffee' and an umlaut on 'möchte', and I reckon it's eine Tasse. Corrections from actual German speakers encouraged :wink:
Clywch clywch buwch, mae dy din di ar dân / Mae rhaid chdi gau dy goesa', i gadw'r byd 'ma'n lân
Kinetic
The Illegal Cow

Postby Maynard » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi T

firstly the word Tasse is feminine so you need to change ein to eine

The verb haben comes at the end of the sentence so the correct phrase should read

Ich moechte eine Tasse Kaffee haben bitte. This sounds a bit strange to my ears and I think it would be best to just say
Ich moechte eine Tasse Kaffee bitte. ( no need for haben). Hope this helps

M

skype ..maynard.archer - croeso i siarad !
Maynard
SSiW Member

Postby HarmonicNature » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:38 am

From my two years of German in high school, I'm quite sure that you would want to say: "Ich möchte eine Tasse Kaffee, bitte."

The "Kann ich eine Tasse Kaffee haben, bitte?" may be correct, but the "Ich möchte..." choice is much more natural, and what I would use myself. :smile:
Please feel free to correct me or my Welsh! :-)
Does anyone like organ music? http://www.youtube.com/user/GrandeBombarde16. :D
Does anyone like classical singing? http://www.youtube.com/user/HarmonicNature. :D
View my artwork and photography here: http://HarmonicNature.imagekind.com :-)
HarmonicNature

Postby brigitte » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:06 pm

If you want to order the cup of coffee in a café, it would be enough to say : " Eine Tasse Kaffee, bitte " or " Bitte eine Tasse Kaffee". As Maynard and Harmony wrote before, you don't need " haben", when you use "ich möchte".
If you want to use the word "haben", you could say: "Ich hätte gerne eine Tasse Kaffee".
brigitte
SSiW Member

Postby HarmonicNature » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:12 pm

brigitte wrote:If you want to order the cup of coffee in a café, it would be enough to say : " Eine Tasse Kaffee, bitte " or " Bitte eine Tasse Kaffee". As Maynard and Harmony wrote before, you don't need " haben", when you use "ich möchte".
If you want to use the word "haben", you could say: "Ich hätte gerne eine Tasse Kaffee".

Aaaaah, it all comes flowing back to me now! :roll: Thanks for jogging my memory, Brigitte! :D

EDIT: We really do need a Say Something in German course... :wink:
Please feel free to correct me or my Welsh! :-)
Does anyone like organ music? http://www.youtube.com/user/GrandeBombarde16. :D
Does anyone like classical singing? http://www.youtube.com/user/HarmonicNature. :D
View my artwork and photography here: http://HarmonicNature.imagekind.com :-)
HarmonicNature

Next

Return to German