Luxury Bootcamp on Llŷn 26/04/13 All the Gossip! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

No English for a week...:-)

Re: Luxury Bootcamp on Llŷn 26/04/13 All the Gossip!

Postby TygerC » Fri May 10, 2013 5:03 pm

Gah, I totally suck at writing something like this but I managed this:

This was my third bootcamp and switching to Welsh was really easy, even though speaking lots of English the day before did cause some internal confusion for a day or two (that's your fault Ian :harhar: ).

The thing I liked the most on this bootcamp was all those locals speaking Welsh. In the south it has been pretty rare to hear people speaking Welsh outside, but not this time. That was truly awesome.

The next best thing was Tre'r Ceiri. I loved the walk/climb there, although I would have preferred a harder path. The view was just amazing and I loved the history (yes, I was listening. If I look like I’m listening, I’m probably somewhere else.).

Driving back from the bootcamp we chatted in the car (in English!) and actually managed to create an idea. That brief “find Aran” on the first day was fun, but way too easy and of course way too short challenge. How about a treasure hunt? Several places/things/whatever bootcampers need to find by asking help from the locals? Maybe get something from that place/etc you have put there earlier / ask something totally strange / take a picture. Or just trying to find Aran by gathering clues.

Jen: sori mawr for laughing to your American English, it was just so out of place. :lol:

And finally, the funny thing with Welsh is that for me, it’s actually easier to speak than English. Now I just need to build bigger vocabulary.
Dogs have owners, cats have staff.
me@twitter, blog, g+, susanna.sorvali@Skype
#Believe in Sherlock
TygerC
SSiW Member

Postby Gruntius » Fri May 10, 2013 6:05 pm

Atomic Newt wrote:The rest of my thoughts are about the people—the connections I made with everyone (new friends and old!) The fact that I was able to have real heart to heart chats with a few people meant so much--to later realize I did it in Welsh is astounding to me! I want to thank ALL of my fellow bootcampers. On bootcamp you tend to connect with some people more than others—it’s only natural. And of course I have my favorite people! :wink: But in the end I can’t imagine this bootcamp without EACH and EVERY one who was on it. We truly were more than the sum of our parts. We went through quite a week and I feel proud for ALL of us for what we accomplished!

Atomic Newt wrote:I can’t thank Aran & Catrin enough for all they did for this bootcamp, for past bootcamps, for SSIW from the beginning to the present, everything. The fact they have managed to do ALL this while at the same time raising two delightful children is awe-inspiring. You are doing more than teaching people Welsh—you are changing lives--you are certainly changing mine. Thank you.

Atomic Newt wrote:Lastly, anyone wondering about going to bootcamp, sitting on the fence, not sure, etc, etc. GO, GO, GO!!! Just GO!!!

Aran wrote:Thank you so much for your incredibly lovely comments, Deb. I'm not surprised you got so much out of Bootcamp - because anyone who cares as much for other people as you do will always help create a very special group experience. I will look forward very much indeed to hearing how your relationship with your Welsh grows and deepens over the coming months and years...:)

TygerC wrote:The thing I liked the most on this bootcamp was all those locals speaking Welsh. In the south it has been pretty rare to hear people speaking Welsh outside, but not this time. That was truly awesome.
^^^Agree, agree, agree.^^^

TygerC wrote:And finally, the funny thing with Welsh is that for me, it’s actually easier to speak than English. Now I just need to build bigger vocabulary.

Funny that, Welsh is easier for me to speak than Finnish. To be honest Susanna, your accent threw me for the first day or so but once I got my ear around it I really enjoyed listening to you speak.

I think that's 3 of us that have mentioned Tre'r Ceiri as a favourite, definitely one for future camps? I'm going to take my family up there in the summer for sure.
Doing the Gog thingy.

"The_drummist" on Skype if you fancy a chat.

A little bit of my past life ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEhh2dCQYg
Gruntius
SSiW Member

Postby youngblandford » Fri May 10, 2013 7:54 pm

TygerC wrote:
This was my third bootcamp and switching to Welsh was really easy, even though speaking lots of English the day before did cause some internal confusion for a day or two (that's your fault Ian :harhar: ).

What I don't get is how you could follow my boyfriend's glaswegian better than I can!!
youngblandford
Mr Weithia

Postby Atomic Newt » Sat May 11, 2013 1:34 am

TygerC wrote:The thing I liked the most on this bootcamp was all those locals speaking Welsh. In the south it has been pretty rare to hear people speaking Welsh outside, but not this time. That was truly awesome.

Yes!!

TygerC wrote: How about a treasure hunt? Several places/things/whatever bootcampers need to find by asking help from the locals? Maybe get something from that place/etc you have put there earlier / ask something totally strange / take a picture. Or just trying to find Aran by gathering clues.

So funny, I thought of your idea earlier today and was going to remind you to suggest it! I think this would be so much fun!!!

TygerC wrote:Jen: sori mawr for laughing to your American English, it was just so out of place. :lol:

Hehe--no worries at all--it sounded funny to me too after a week of Welsh!! (Though I'm oddly self-conscious of saying the word mirror now! :lol: )
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain
Atomic Newt
SSiW Member

Postby TygerC » Sat May 11, 2013 3:54 am

youngblandford wrote:What I don't get is how you could follow my boyfriend's glaswegian better than I can!!

Eeeh, was it supposed to be difficult?
Dogs have owners, cats have staff.
me@twitter, blog, g+, susanna.sorvali@Skype
#Believe in Sherlock
TygerC
SSiW Member

Postby Dee » Sat May 11, 2013 8:02 am

TygerC wrote: How about a treasure hunt? Several places/things/whatever bootcampers need to find by asking help from the locals? Maybe get something from that place/etc you have put there earlier / ask something totally strange / take a picture. Or just trying to find Aran by gathering clues.

We went geocaching on the 'southern' bootcamp and that was lots of fun. I had quite a long discussion with a council gardener at one site, discussing the number of people looking for the item and how he thought it was further down the river. Then we looked at the map together and decided no it was definitely somewhere around where we were looking. A great chance to discuss something with a local ... and despite the comments about 'not much Welsh' on the southern bootcamps, it was all in impromptu Welsh :lol:
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby youngblandford » Sat May 11, 2013 10:44 am

TygerC wrote: Or just trying to find Aran by gathering clues.

What's the welsh for "Have you seen a very exhausted man running after two enthusiastic children?"?
youngblandford
Mr Weithia

Postby RamblingJohn » Sat May 11, 2013 9:20 pm

Was he hiding in the sauna, did anyone look in there, it looked like a cubhoard from the outside but what do i know, it may have been like the tardis inside i seem to remember meddyg pwy being mentioned on the road one evening.

Cheers J.P.
Northern cwrs 2, vocabs. dipping tentative toe in cwrs3.
The todo list grows ever longer.
In the beginning there was no history, let's try and add something useful.
RamblingJohn
SSiW Member

Postby serenmair » Sun May 12, 2013 1:04 pm

This is my second day back at home after a second week in the Llŷn Peninsular. I feel so exhausted, not just from a very busy week at Bootcamp but from battering winds and rain which never let up after Monday last week.
My husband and I rented a cottage in Nany Gwrtheyryn last week and the gusts of wind blew us off our feet, quite a change from the first week.

Everybody is back at home now and I have just read all your very interesting reports on our week together. Bootcamp is really a very unique experience and it cannot fail to help and influence your ability to learn the language.

It was very nice to meet everyone and a very special thank you to Deb for her endless kind nature sharing with me, to Maynard, one of the nicest genlteman I have met for ever and of course to Rambling John my gaurdian angel who helped me to speak Welsh in all the shops, trains, car journeys and tea stops. Many thanks to Catrin and Aran, it was lovely to meet your family and famous friends. Nice house too!
serenmair
SSiW Member

Postby debw12 » Mon May 13, 2013 8:18 pm

TygerC wrote:was just amazing and I loved the history (yes, I was listening. If I look like I’m listening, I’m probably somewhere else.).

Ahh, I had a feeling you were of the 'ultimate multitasker' type......that would explain how you were able to sit at the table and read a book and not miss a beat with the conversations going on around you.....

serenmair wrote:special thank you to Deb

thank you Stella, for the lovely words. As a person who is way too impatient, I was lucky to have a roommate who knows how to be truly patient. And had I not been your roommate, perhaps I would not have seen your beautiful creations. Stella makes beautiful, museum quality, very detailed traditional Welsh costume dolls that are a wonderful thing to behold.
One step at a time. Please do correct me.
I am albionscloth on Skype
debw12
SSiW Member

PreviousNext

Return to Bootcamp - Welsh in the Wild!