Luxury Bootcamp on Llŷn 26/04/13 All the Gossip! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

No English for a week...:-)

Re: Luxury Bootcamp on Llŷn 26/04/13 All the Gossip!

Postby Sionned » Wed May 08, 2013 11:10 pm

Nice article! Wish I could have been on the hike and gotten his insights. We started to climb Tre'r Ceiri one visit, but did not really have time (or stamina) to reach the forts at the top. Beautiful views, though...
Please do read the forum guidelines - they're very short!
And let me know where you live, and I'll put you on the map!
Sionned
SSiW Angel

Postby debw12 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:17 am

Adre rwan. Wow.
Just a wonderfully huge experience for me. I stayed on 4 nights in Nefyn after Sarn and had lots of sgyrsiau bach yn y Gymraeg. I get it now that it is so important NOT to tell someone you are dysgwyr. Its obvious to the Welsh speaker and all you are doing is sending an unneccesarily negative message to your own brain that doesn't help the Cymraeg to flow at all.
And I had beautiful walking journeys as well - took the bus to Abersoch one day and then walked to Rhiw - Plas yn Rhiw is a fantastic place with wonderful, friendly Welsh speakers and I just loved it so much. Wonderful walks above Clynnog on the road to Pen-y-groes and along the coastal path as well. Beautiful weather, stunning scenery.
So to Aran, whom being around is like going to a class without knowing that you are going to a class and not just any old class but the kind where you learn the stuff you really want to know, to the gentle vibration of Geraint, Susanna whose smile would warm the darkest of souls, Ali who was always there when someone needed help, to Ramblin John of the velvety voice and keen passion for nature, Maynard who just may be the most generous soul on the planet, Jan whose personal brand of enthusiam and love for Wales was totally infectious, Ian the delightful mystery man, Jen who was like the invisible glue that held the group together, Serenmair who moved amongst us like the fairy seamstress that comes in the night to mend the little childrens stockings, and of course Catrin, whose presence spread magical Welsh fairy dust over us all, DIOLCH O'R GALON.
Being around the Jones family unit was an added treat and meeting mam a dad Catrin was really special for me. Thank you so much for sharing your family.
Nawr te, be sy nesaf......................? :smile:
hwyl fawr am y tro,
deb
One step at a time. Please do correct me.
I am albionscloth on Skype
debw12
SSiW Member

Postby debw12 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:32 am

youngblandford wrote:
Aran explaining word by word the meaning of "All through the night" to me, which if I remember correctly is about the stars having a peek through the curtains while you get changed.

:lol: love, love, love your perspective on life Ian.........
seriously, that was one of the highpoints for me too.........thanks Aran, I was hanging on every word.
debw12
SSiW Member

Postby debw12 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:05 pm

Gruntius wrote: my Welsh was forcing me to over think everything. :roll:

that happens to me too, so frustrating......I sure hope it goes away eventually....
debw12
SSiW Member

Postby debw12 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:26 pm

Gruntius wrote:
Trace told me that on Friday night that I was talking in my sleep, something I only do when I'm really tired ... but this time it was in Welsh! :lol: :shock: :

Last night (my first night home) was the first time ever that I have had a dream where I was 100% sure that I was having a conversation in Welsh. :D Bootcamp so rocks :D
debw12
SSiW Member

Postby Gruntius » Thu May 09, 2013 2:57 pm

debw12 wrote:
Gruntius wrote:
Trace told me that on Friday night that I was talking in my sleep, something I only do when I'm really tired ... but this time it was in Welsh! :lol: :shock: :

Last night (my first night home) was the first time ever that I have had a dream where I was 100% sure that I was having a conversation in Welsh. :D Bootcamp so rocks :D

Absolutely right Deb, it does rock! It sounds like you had a blast in Nefyn too.

Sunday night in bootcamp I dreamt in Welsh but this didn't happen again while I was there. I'm not sure what was going on in my head for the rest of the week but I'm sure I want some more of it. :wink:
Doing the Gog thingy.

"The_drummist" on Skype if you fancy a chat.

A little bit of my past life ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEhh2dCQYg
Gruntius
SSiW Member

Postby debw12 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:32 pm

Aran wrote:Today's article in yr Herald Cymraeg by Rhys Mwyn is about taking some bunch of learners up Tre'r Ceiri...:wink:

You can also read it online on Rhys's blog - I'm sure he'd be particularly pleased to hear from any of the learners who survived!

http://rhysmwyn.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/ ... welsh.html

THANK YOU Aran - that day was so amazing and I felt so honored to have someone so personally invested in the area as our guide. I welcome the opportunity to thank him.....
debw12
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Fri May 10, 2013 8:49 am

Thank you so much for your incredibly lovely comments, Deb. I'm not surprised you got so much out of Bootcamp - because anyone who cares as much for other people as you do will always help create a very special group experience. I will look forward very much indeed to hearing how your relationship with your Welsh grows and deepens over the coming months and years...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Atomic Newt » Fri May 10, 2013 12:52 pm

I’ve tried multiple times to write my thoughts on bootcamp but each time it starts to turn into a short novel!! :lol: It was just such a full week!! But here goes, the edited version!!

Just to give a brief personal background, this bootcamp was my third, but going into it it nearly didn’t happen. I’ve had an extremely rough several months in my personal life and I very nearly backed out of going. It just seemed too much—in the end it was EXACTLY what I needed! I go to bootcamp for the opportunity to immerse myself in Welsh for the week—that’s the point. But I always come away with so very much more and I certainly did this time.

I’m going to thank Catrin and my fellow bootcampers who have already given a thorough account of where we were when (which was particularly helpful to me as I needed to refer their accounts to find out myself where *I* was *when*!!) I’ll just stick to my personal highlights!

• Café in the Oriel—the first time I laughed so hard I had trouble breathing in I have no idea how long…so good for my soul. “Ble mae coffi du!!!!!!!!”

• Pant Du—loved the vineyard, and loved meeting Nia Parry (in spite of what Aran will try to tell you!! :harhar: ) So thrilled to be able to follow pretty much the whole story of how the owner came to obtain the property—great story!

• Castell Caernarfon—Best part for me? Chatting with the Cofi guard!! He was fun and not in the least surprised to find Welsh learners from the various areas we were from—says he gets them all the time, Germany, California, etc. :shock: Well then!

• Castell Cricieth—just found it so peaceful. The incredible weather helped. The sun was shining, the air was clear, the water was calm—beautiful day!

• Ty Coch Inn—loved the long walk along the beach to reach what felt like must be a remote pub only to reach it and find it packed!! Catrin already mentioned how Geraint and I were able to say helo to our significant others who we were missing us and who we were missing via the webcam on the beach—waving to Joe in NY all the way from a seaside pub in Wales—ain’t technology grand!

• Tre’r Ceiri—Definite highlight of the week for me. I would go here again and again and again…and again!! The weather was a factor of course, Mother Nature providing us with a perfect day for the hike so that we didn’t need any of the hats and scarves Catrin had so sweetly sent along for us worried that we would be cold at the windy top! I enjoy *really* old history so visiting an iron age sight with views that just went forever when you got to the top was incredible. Also very cool to be guided by Rhys Mwyn (even though I didn’t know who he was before we went to Tre’r Ceiri! :oops: ) He was very nice and I his Welsh was very clear!

• The seals on Ynys Enlli coming to watch *us*! :lol: Priceless!!

The rest of my thoughts are about the people—the connections I made with everyone (new friends and old!) The fact that I was able to have real heart to heart chats with a few people meant so much--to later realize I did it in Welsh is astounding to me! I want to thank ALL of my fellow bootcampers. On bootcamp you tend to connect with some people more than others—it’s only natural. And of course I have my favorite people! :wink: But in the end I can’t imagine this bootcamp without EACH and EVERY one who was on it. We truly were more than the sum of our parts. We went through quite a week and I feel proud for ALL of us for what we accomplished!

Did I say edited version?? Oops! Well, I left out all the travel drama I went through--just as well to forget it! I will just say a quick thank you to Aran & Kim (dinas) for helping me GET to where I was going, and to Ian and his Steve for helping me get BACK home! :star:

I can’t thank Aran & Catrin enough for all they did for this bootcamp, for past bootcamps, for SSIW from the beginning to the present, everything. The fact they have managed to do ALL this while at the same time raising two delightful children is awe-inspiring. You are doing more than teaching people Welsh—you are changing lives--you are certainly changing mine. Thank you.

Lastly, anyone wondering about going to bootcamp, sitting on the fence, not sure, etc, etc. GO, GO, GO!!! Just GO!!!

Oh--and I'll try to post pics within the next week or so! :)
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain
Atomic Newt
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Fri May 10, 2013 2:46 pm

That was well worth the wait...:) Diolch o galon for sharing so openly, and for the huge enthusiasm and warmth you brought to Bootcamp. I'm very glad indeed you didn't send that 'cancelling' email...:wink:

Atomic Newt wrote:The rest of my thoughts are about the people

And there's the real magic of the week...:seren:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

PreviousNext

Return to Bootcamp - Welsh in the Wild!