Luxury Bootcamp on Llŷn 26/04/13 All the Gossip! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

No English for a week...:-)

Re: Luxury Bootcamp on Llŷn 26/04/13 All the Gossip!

Postby Catrin Lliar » Sun May 05, 2013 8:23 am

jstetson wrote:...In good humor and looking forward to landing in Boston. :D

That's really good to hear Jan, diolch! Have a good flight and 'speak' soon. :)

Atomic Newt wrote:Suffice it to say that Bootcamp was AMAZING and I am so very glad I overcame my fear and loathing of international travel YET AGAIN for bootcamp--it was MORE than worth it!

And we are so very glad that you did make the effort, it wouldn't have been the same without you. Ti'n :star:

Gruntius wrote:...I'm not really good at writing

Yeah right... :roll: ... :wink:

Gruntius wrote:...followed by a lemon drizzle cake so large that it had smaller cakes orbiting it

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gruntius wrote:I have to apologise to Catrin for leaving her with a wet shoulder, I really didn't want to let go!

I feel like I have a new brother... :smile:

Gruntius wrote:Oh, before I go ... :penblwydd: A massive happy birthday to Jen for today.

:party: :cariad: Penblwydd Hapys Jen :cariad: :party:

Gruntius wrote:Did I say brief? :roll:

And you said you couldn't write! :shock:
Northern course female voice. Raised in Pen Llŷn, fled when 18. Spent my 20s discovering the wider world. A qualified teacher (English & art), worked in marketing with small local businesses - gave it all up to become a Mam! A creative soul who inherited my family's artistic gene, love drawing, being behind the lens of a camera and being creative with food. Movies, red wine, dark chocolate help me relax. Always here to help!
Catrin Lliar
SSi Head of Events

Postby jstetson » Sun May 05, 2013 9:19 am

RamblingJohn wrote: drove through fabulous mountains where one viewing point stop provided toilets that included on their signage "please don't steal the toilet paper"

I took a photo of that sign! My favorite was "Don't try to flush stupid things down the toilet." :D
Feel free to correct my Welsh, os gwelwch yn dda.
Words are like children, they behave differently with their friends.
jstetson
SSiW Member

Postby RamblingJohn » Sun May 05, 2013 10:06 am

jstetson wrote:I took a photo of that sign! My favorite was "Don't try to flush stupid things down the toilet." :D

Yep, sure gave room for thought.

Anyway i'm so glad everyone is remembering different parts of the trip as their personal highlights, i didn't realise there would be a big goodbye on the last morning and just got away to hopefully beat the traffic (failed). Nobody has mentioned Sussana''s rendition in welsh of a song from shrek, (now that was impressive).

One of the best listening, talking and learning experiences for me was the evening we all sat around the table and took it in turns to talk about an experience, thoughts, story etc, i wasn't ready for this and of course the next day had plenty of ideas for improving the story. This is just one example of remembering the week which is still a confused jumble for me of which day we did what, i just remember it was sooooooo good.

What hasn't been mentioned is when booking opens for next year !!!

Cheers J.P. (don't know who had the last slice of the lemon cake, but that sure was a big cake) (young blanford was good at making things disappear).
Northern cwrs 2, vocabs. dipping tentative toe in cwrs3.
The todo list grows ever longer.
In the beginning there was no history, let's try and add something useful.
RamblingJohn
SSiW Member

Postby jstetson » Sun May 05, 2013 11:16 am

At Dublin airport, crazy early, but not enough time to really do anything else, so this gives me some down time to reflect on the past couple of weeks. I took the adventurous path of flying to Dublin and taking the ferry over to Holyhead and then to bootcamp via bus and train. Dublin is a great city, lots to see, I’ve only just scratched the surface. Hope to visit again. Altogether a smooth journey, and not a bad approach if you’re headed from Boston to North Wales.

I got a running start on bootcamp by meeting Aled, my friend and former Welsh teacher, in a café in Bangor to chat, in Welsh of course! Last summer, when we got together over a pint, the fact that I could converse with him in Welsh for over an hour felt like a major milestone, huge lifetime accomplishment, woo-hoo, go me! This time, it just felt like a chance to meet an old friend and catch up. And perhaps that’s the greatest milestone of all.

I felt so bad for Catrin, having read about the lasagna debacle on Facebook. I’ve had kitchen disasters just as spectacular myself, so I knew how she felt. But the result was well worth it. And the lemon cake, besides being a contender for biggest cake in the universe, was incredibly delicious.

I’m not someone who talks a lot in a large group, especially if I don’t know everyone very, very well – in English, never mind in Welsh! But there were so many fluent speakers, conversation was always roiling around me. I felt like I spent the entire week standing under a waterfall of Welsh. And I had plenty of opportunities to chat. Best of all, there were times when I found myself responding instantly, without thinking. Once even in the past tense! :shock: That too felt like a major milestone.

It was wonderful to meet Nia in person, having talked with her via Skype. A lot of the other events, views, and activities blend together from this vantage point. But Tre’r Ceiri was a high point in more ways than one. Thanks Grunt, not feeling patronized at all. It was a long haul up, and a long way down as well, but wonderfully worth it. Even if I am still sore here and there (getting better every day, though.)

So, I’ve already Googled where the Eisteddfod is in 2014, and looked it up on a map. And yes, what is next years bootcamp schedule?

Wow, what a week! :dawnsio:
Feel free to correct my Welsh, os gwelwch yn dda.
Words are like children, they behave differently with their friends.
jstetson
SSiW Member

Postby Ali » Sun May 05, 2013 11:54 am

Penblwydd Hapus i Jen!! :party: :dance: :party:

Sorry, but I have hardly been "at home" since coming home and am just about to go off again! This time to visit our little grandson, Iwan, who was 6 weeks old yesterday. When I get home I will write more - before I go off again!, this time to my granddaughters in Chester. Life for a grandmother is very busy, especially when all the family members live in places spread across the country.

I'm sure that I can sum it all up in one sentence really - Had a wonderful time, in a beautiful place with lots of lovely people with the common purpose of living the whole week through Welsh.
Ali
The Magnificent Saith

Postby Atomic Newt » Sun May 05, 2013 6:49 pm

Not posting bootcamp thoughts yet--still recovering from my journey!! Have been enjoying other's reports though, and wanted to say thank you for all the birthday wishes! :D
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain
Atomic Newt
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Mon May 06, 2013 8:24 am

Moved and inspired (eto!) by all the feedback on here - diolch o galon i chi gyd...:seren:

Atomic Newt wrote:Not posting bootcamp thoughts yet--still recovering from my journey!! Have been enjoying other's reports though, and wanted to say thank you for all the birthday wishes! :D

Penblwydd hapus iawn! Paid â dweud wrth Nia...:wink:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Gruntius » Wed May 08, 2013 8:28 am

Here we are, 5 days after coming home and I have to say I'm starting to be able to concentrate on normal everyday stuff instead of drifting off into a bootcamp daydream. I still can't get over how lucky we were with the weather.

Anyway, this morning while watching Cyw with my daughter I realised that I was understanding a lot more of what's going on, not just the gist of the program but each conversation was making a lot more sense. So even though it didn't feel like I was making progress through the week my listening ability has improved quite a bit. I'm grateful to each and every one of you for that, from Aran and Catrin for organising and running the week to every word spoken by each bootcamper, what a great bunch. I have to say I didn't come close to understanding some people that week, sometimes I just had to let their words wash over me, like the lady in the street in Pwllheli, the local farmer and the guy driving the boat, but it was a pleasure to listen to their accents.

Beth bynnag, diolch yn fawr iawn i chi gyd eto.
Doing the Gog thingy.

"The_drummist" on Skype if you fancy a chat.

A little bit of my past life ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEhh2dCQYg
Gruntius
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Wed May 08, 2013 8:44 am

Gruntius wrote:and the guy driving the boat

You won't get any faster, stronger Pen Llŷn accents than that - I didn't catch everything he said either (just like you don't always understand every word someone says to you in English!)...:)
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Aran » Wed May 08, 2013 3:57 pm

Today's article in yr Herald Cymraeg by Rhys Mwyn is about taking some bunch of learners up Tre'r Ceiri...:wink:

You can also read it online on Rhys's blog - I'm sure he'd be particularly pleased to hear from any of the learners who survived!

http://rhysmwyn.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/ ... welsh.html
Aran
SSi CEO

PreviousNext

Return to Bootcamp - Welsh in the Wild!