Bootcamps of the future - an announcement! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

No English for a week...:-)

Bootcamps of the future - an announcement!

Postby Catrin Lliar » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Helo bawb!

A message for everyone interested in future Bootcamps.

Since Bootcamps started we have been holding each one at the Ganolfan in Tresaith. Tresaith is a small seaside village in a secluded cove, on the coast between Aberystwyth and Aberteifi, a little further south than Cei Newydd. The Ganolfan is a hostel in Tresaith, owned and run by Welsh speakers whom are very supportive of the work SSiW does.

Between the months of April and August we can run up to 5 Bootcamps. Bootcamps are run by either Aran and Catrin (myself) and kids, or Iestyn and Cat and kids. The amount of Bootcamps throughout the spring/summer of any one year, their frequency and the decision as to which family runs them, depends wholly on the availability and prior commitments of both families.

Iestyn, Cat and kids moved to Llandysul last summer, Llandysul is between 20 and 30 minutes from Tresaith and if you have been on prior Bootcamps, it is one of the towns that we frequently visit during our activity filled weeks.

Aran and I live in Pen Llŷn, three hours from Tresaith and to be honest, despite the enormous pleasure we get from running Bootcamps, we have found it presents us with quite a few challenges because we live so far away.

I'll explain this a little clearer - we have two dogs which we are unable to bring with us to Bootcamp so have to find someone kind enough to 'dog-sit' for us for the whole week, which is sometimes difficult, also our daughter Angharad has sleeping problems (in the form of confusional arousals and night terrors) which means that sleeping in the Ganolfan with our learners isn't an option for us, otherwise everyone would be woken up by the screaming! This means that we have to rent one of the adjacent flats for the week, which obviously raises our costs. We also find the journey a hurdle as well as, of course, not being near our regular GP etc – always an issue with kids, which we found out all too well at the last Bootcamp we ran in Tresaith! :wink:

We have often though it would be ideal for us as a family if we could run Bootcamps closer to home and it just so happens that that is exactly what Aran has arranged for the spring of next year 2013.

For the week commencing the 26/04/13, we will be holding a week long Luxury Bootcamp in Pen Llŷn, just a stone's throw from where we live – by the way, this Bootcamp is now SOLD OUT! :D

This week is the first of it's kind for SSiW and what makes it a 'luxury' Bootcamp is the fact that it will be held in a very comfortable self catering house. The response has been very good with a demand for more dates in the future – something we are currently considering as well as other, alternative venues in this area - if we can find any! :wink:

This now offers our learners the opportunity to attend either one of two different types of Bootcamp depending on their area of preference or accommodation of preference, or just for the opportunity to vary their Bootcamp experiences by attending one of each!

Iestyn and Cat have heroically taken on the responsibility of the ever popular Tresaith Bootcamps and announcements of the dates for these Bootcamps will be available soon! :dance:

So in the future, Iestyn and Cat will be running Tresaith Bootcamps, and of course deciding on the amount of Bootcamps they offer in any one year and the dates on which these Bootcamps will be held, to fit in with their family commitments; and Aran and myself will be doing the same thing with the Pen Llŷn Bootcamps.

The amount of Bootcamps held in any one year by either families and the dates on which they are held will vary from year to year, of course depending on what both families are available to offer. Children and work commitments will affect these decisions. For instance, Cat and Iestyn are expecting their 4th child and of course Cat works full time, Aran works full time on SSiW, writing course contents, maintaining sites and forums and doing promotional work, and of course we are all tied to school terms and timetables.

So please be patient with us whilst we re-jiggle things about and work out our personal timetables. We will always aim to bring you the best in Bootcamp experiences and to improve each year on what we offered the previous year.

Please also remember that all Bootcamp related announcements will be made through this forum in this Bootcamp section, as well as a few announcements here and there in the newsletter by Dee.

Thank you all for your patience and support and please feel free to ask questions!

Catrin.
Northern course female voice. Raised in Pen Llŷn, fled when 18. Spent my 20s discovering the wider world. A qualified teacher (English & art), worked in marketing with small local businesses - gave it all up to become a Mam! A creative soul who inherited my family's artistic gene, love drawing, being behind the lens of a camera and being creative with food. Movies, red wine, dark chocolate help me relax. Always here to help!
Catrin Lliar
SSi Head of Events

Re: Bootcamps of the future - an announcement!

Postby Catrin Lliar » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:02 am

Just wanting to remind everyone of these important changes and encourage you all to ask any questions, if there is anything at all you are unsure of regarding Bootcamps. :smile:

If you are new to the concept of Bootcamp and want to find out more, then please check out the two threads below -

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=7256

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=8251
Northern course female voice. Raised in Pen Llŷn, fled when 18. Spent my 20s discovering the wider world. A qualified teacher (English & art), worked in marketing with small local businesses - gave it all up to become a Mam! A creative soul who inherited my family's artistic gene, love drawing, being behind the lens of a camera and being creative with food. Movies, red wine, dark chocolate help me relax. Always here to help!
Catrin Lliar
SSi Head of Events

Postby Catrin Lliar » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:14 pm

Oh, and the 'Bootcamp - Frequently Asked Questions' thread has recently been updated. if you have any questions regarding Bootcamp that you feel may be an useful addition to the FAQs thread then please let me know!
Catrin Lliar
SSi Head of Events

Postby Dee » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:59 pm

Sorry Catrin, this thread slipped under my radar when I was compiling this week's newsletter. I'll make a mention of it in the next one.
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby hewrop » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:40 am

The outlined changes seem clear and eminently sensible which may explain why there are few questions or comments. :smile:
hewrop
The Magnificent Saith

Postby Gruntius » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:17 pm

hewrop wrote:The outlined changes seem clear and eminently sensible which may explain why there are few questions or comments. :smile:

My thoughts exactly, you left no stone unturned, no need for questions.
Doing the Gog thingy.

"The_drummist" on Skype if you fancy a chat.

A little bit of my past life ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEhh2dCQYg
Gruntius
SSiW Member

Postby lambiek » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:21 am

Yes, what Dee, Gruntius and Hewrop said...

A heartfelt thank you to you Catrin, and to Cat, Iestyn and Aran for your commitment, effort, enthusiasm to Bootcamp. Having a young family is hard enough by itself, and running Bootcamps in addition is fantastically wonderfully amazing!

Now, from a selfish perspective, your new plans open up the theoretical possibility of participating in a northern Bootcamp, and a Tresaith Bootcamp the following week! :D
Mae syniadau gwyrddion di-liw yn cysgu'n wyllt
lambiek
SSiW Member

Postby carungo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:46 pm

Yes, two bootcamp centres seems an excellent idea, providing a choice of area, cost and comfort level for the punters. I am sure the "luxury camp" will be a great success, especially with us Oldies /Henoedd !

I am not the only one who has booked in at a local B&B while at Tresaith because I find I get tired and need to withdraw, rest and reflect when engaged in an intense experience.."recuiller pour mieux sauter " (spelling ? ) . To have a congenial room to oneself at the end of the day is really nice and especially as it then makes the week into a little holiday. Comfortable accommodation is what I have really enjoyed about Nant Gwrtheyrn, also.

Carungo
carungo
SSiW Member

Postby Catrin Lliar » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:09 pm

Dee wrote:Sorry Catrin, this thread slipped under my radar when I was compiling this week's newsletter. I'll make a mention of it in the next one.

Diolch yn fawr i ti Dee!!! :D

Diolch to everyone else also for your positive replies to this thread, your understanding and continued support - I very much appreciate your feedback.

Louis - this is something we have considered as well as the possibility of doing a northern Bootcamp the same week as the Tresaith Bootcamp which precedes the Eisteddfod week, and many other variations in timing.

As this is the first Bootcamp of it's kind for us to arrange, we are holding out a little bit to see how successful it will be. We will be looking at how well the accommodation works for our group, and how the whole arrangement of this new Bootcamp works.

The major stumbling block we have with this next round of Bootcamps is that we came to the idea of the northern 'Luxury Bootcamp' a little late in the year. As some of you may already know, Aran and I live in an area which is *very* popular with tourists and the population of our little peninsula swells dramatically during the tourist season. This means that all holiday accommodation in this area gets booked up pretty quickly - especially the 'good' places. Also, prices increase dramatically the further in to the summer season we go, so we have to consider this when looking at possible dates. So when we looked at availability, increasing prices and our own personal timetables, we were left with little choice.

Therefore as far as 2013 is concerned we are at the moment rather limited I'm afraid, unless something changes, in which case we will let you know immediately! :D

But by next year we will be in a better position to offer an alternative date(s) depending of course on the success of this first initial date in the spring. So for now we are 'seeing how it goes' before making any further concrete plans and at the same time continuing to explore variations in accommodation and using our contacts up here to see what's available to us, which fits in with the times when we'll be available as a family.

Carungo - I hear you! :D This was one of the things we had thought of whilst playing with the idea of offering an alternative Bootcamp experience and I am glad that it pleases you.

Pleae keep questions and feedback coming if you have any!

Diolch!
Catrin Lliar
SSi Head of Events

Postby Spenny » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:29 pm

There is a place which has ample accommodation and a teaching room fairly nearby you. It also seemed to be rather under-used. How brave are you about contacting y Nant?
The philosophies of Aran Jones: "Wanting to buy milk is a state of mind."
Spenny
The Magnificent Saith

Next

Return to Bootcamp - Welsh in the Wild!