****5 Tresaith Bootcamp dates for 2013**** | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

No English for a week...:-)

Re: ****5 Tresaith Bootcamp dates for 2013****

Postby Catrin Lliar » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:28 pm

This is fantastic Cat - DIOLCH YN FAWR IAWN! :D

If anyone reading this thread is new to Bootcamp then please read this other thread for some essential Bootcamp info - viewtopic.php?f=33&t=7256

And if you have any questions regarding Bootcamp then please chech out our Bootcamp Frequently Asked Questions here - viewtopic.php?f=33&t=8251
Northern course female voice. Raised in Pen Llŷn, fled when 18. Spent my 20s discovering the wider world. A qualified teacher (English & art), worked in marketing with small local businesses - gave it all up to become a Mam! A creative soul who inherited my family's artistic gene, love drawing, being behind the lens of a camera and being creative with food. Movies, red wine, dark chocolate help me relax. Always here to help!
Catrin Lliar
SSi Head of Events

Postby dinas » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:32 am

I think it's fair to say that these "Bootcamps" have been life changing for a great number of people: Have helped learners new and ones who'd struggled for years to become conversationely proficient.
It must be around a hundred people who've gone through a whole week totally in welsh - no english at all - now with perhaps only 2 or 3 being disappointed.( I suspect they hadn't followed the instructions.) But for everyone else they've come on in huge leaps. What a difference a week can make! Many veterans have now gone on to be on television; phone in radio shows etc. :clap:
Of course the main thing is getting out in the "wild" of the welsh world to actually use the language. This is a great place to do so; take your welsh to the next level. I'm sure others will be posting to say so.
Of course you'll be in the great company of Iestyn and Cat and the children.... Oh! and you get to meet loads of the locals, who'll be propping up the bar at the local pub. There's been songs written about them.:clap:

BOOK SOON! IF NOT TODAY.
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

Postby Dee » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:08 am

I thoroughly endorse everything Kim (and others) have said about bootcamp. It is an amazing experience and I really really did not want to go back to speaking English afterwards.

Just one thing though - Kim was a little over excited there with the BOOK TODAY - it's not open until next weekend :wink:
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby dinas » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:16 am

Dee wrote:I thoroughly endorse everything Kim (and others) have said about bootcamp. It is an amazing experience and I really really did not want to go back to speaking English afterwards.

Just one thing though - Kim was a little over excited there with the BOOK TODAY - it's not open until next weekend :wink:

Thanks for that,Dee. What I should have said was: COMMIT TODAY, TO BOOK NEXT WEEK!
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

Postby athrawes » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:46 pm

Great. Something to look forward to after the dark dank days of gaeaf. Hope I get into the July camp as it's the only week I can make (all the others are in term time).
athrawes
SSiW Member

Postby elizabethm » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:43 pm

As a fairly new member I am not sure whether these dates are for South Wales speakers? I notice they are being run by Iestyn who I think is South Wales speaker? If so, will there be Northern version bootcamps as well?
Sorry if I should know this! I tried looking through some of the forum threads but couldn't find the answer.
Elizabeth
elizabethm
SSiW Member

Postby Tahl » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:10 pm

elizabethm wrote:As a fairly new member I am not sure whether these dates are for South Wales speakers? I notice they are being run by Iestyn who I think is South Wales speaker? If so, will there be Northern version bootcamps as well?

Hi, Elizabeth -- No, everybody is thrown in with each other, just like in real life. It sounds hard, and as a Southern-course learner I definitely was thrown by some of the Northern-course words at the beginning of the week, but it works really well and is a huge, huge help in following radio, TV, and Welsh speakers that you meet. You just speak your own dialect, and the other person answers in his own dialect, and you carry on. (That's how first-language speakers handle conversations, too.) Bootcamp starts on Saturday, and I promise, by Wednesday the north/south difference matters a whole *lot* less.
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby elizabethm » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Tahl! I will go away and consult my diary!
elizabethm
SSiW Member

Postby dreamsofwales » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:24 pm

Sounds really exciting. Going to try and get a place in the April/ May one.
Looking forward to making lots of new friends and taking huge steps forward with my welsh if I'm lucky enough to get a place.
Course three (southern) lesson twenty two and have dabbled with the Course one gog lessons.
dreamsofwales
SSiW Member

Postby Dee » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:04 pm

dreamsofwales wrote:Sounds really exciting. Going to try and get a place in the April/ May one.
Looking forward to making lots of new friends and taking huge steps forward with my welsh if I'm lucky enough to get a place.

You will have a great time, I'm sure ... and I must say your signature looks nice :wink:
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

PreviousNext

Return to Bootcamp - Welsh in the Wild!