Things to bring to Tresaith Bootcamp | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

No English for a week...:-)

Re: Things to bring for Bootcamp

Postby Kinetic » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:58 am

Catrin Lliar wrote:mp3 player with SSiW lessons on it

I've been thinking about this. Are we allowed to bring music, as long as any lyrics are in a language that we don't understand? :) Listening to music in English would be cheating, but I've got a bunch of stuff I listen to that I don't understand a word of, and I can't see that being detrimental...

(Obviously, Welsh-language music should be fine too, I imagine :))
Clywch clywch buwch, mae dy din di ar dân / Mae rhaid chdi gau dy goesa', i gadw'r byd 'ma'n lân
Kinetic
The Illegal Cow

Postby Tahl » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:34 pm

Adding to the list . . .

ESSENTIAL ITEMS TO TAKE TO BOOTCAMP!

Duvet. Duvet cover. Towels. Pillow cases. Toiletries. Swimming costume. Sun-tan lotion. Torch (wee time and pub time) Umbrella (ditto! - ask BigBobWales) Wet weather gear. Walking boots. Sense of humour. Sense of direction. Drying up cloths, rubber gloves and other consumables that the kitchen might not have. Slippers/indoor shoes.
Sheets. Small bars of soap for the sinks in the shower rooms (there are 3 or 4 sinks in each). Small cache of medical necessities to cope with upset stomachs in the night, etc. Sun hat.

LUXURIES YOU MAY LIKE HAVING WITH YOU FOR THE WEEK

Favourite food items (herbs and spices where it is not worth buying for a week). Welsh books that you're reading. Food/drink treats for sharing or bribing Aran/Iestyn.
Makings for caffeinated or decaffeinated beverages of your choice. Coffee-making equipment if you want to make anything other than instant. GPS if you are likely to be one of the drivers for daytrips. Atlas or other good map of Wales; I have and like: http://preview.tinyurl.com/23a2ysu
Books with Welsh lyrics to singable songs (Calon Lan, Sospan Fach, etc) -- the more copies, the better.
Notebook to write down new words you learn.

THINGS THAT MAY BE FUN OR INTERESTING TO HAVE WITH YOU AT BOOTCAMP

Musical instruments. Canoes. Binoculars. mp3 player with SSiW lessons on it. (Compromise!)
Children's books in Welsh. Welsh-language music on that mp3 player, & a small portable speaker for sharing. Small cache of office supplies (marker(s), tape, extra paper, scissors).
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby Spenny » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:26 pm

jdwi wrote:
Spenny wrote:ESSENTIAL ITEMS TO TAKE TO BOOTCAMP!

Duvet. Duvet cover. Towels. Pillow cases. Toiletries. Swimming costume. Sun-tan lotion. Torch (wee time and pub time) Umbrella (ditto! - ask BigBobWales) Wet weather gear. Walking boots. Sense of humour. Sense of direction. Drying up cloths, rubber gloves and other consumables that the kitchen might not have. Slippers/indoor shoes.

I'm glad that discussion of duvets & pillows came up--I thought there would be bedding available! :-? I'd be coming over from the US and didn't realize I'd have to carry my bedding on my back! (I was rather hoping to get everything into a carry-on--limit the risk of all my clean skivvies detouring to Glasgow! :oops: ) Just checking this is definitely so?? :help: If so I'll need start investigating camping supply stores!

Oh, and SSIW lessons are already the ONLY thing on my IPOD! :)

I suggest putting a post up on the appropriate bootcamp page. I think that there was some spare bedding available, and if not I am sure one of the attendees will be able to sort you out. This is SSIW :clap:
The philosophies of Aran Jones: "Wanting to buy milk is a state of mind."
Spenny
The Magnificent Saith

Postby Atomic Newt » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:00 pm

Spenny wrote:
jdwi wrote:
Spenny wrote:ESSENTIAL ITEMS TO TAKE TO BOOTCAMP!

I'm glad that discussion of duvets & pillows came up--I thought there would be bedding available! :-? I'd be coming over from the US and didn't realize I'd have to carry my bedding on my back! (I was rather hoping to get everything into a carry-on--limit the risk of all my clean skivvies detouring to Glasgow! :oops: ) Just checking this is definitely so?? :help: If so I'll need start investigating camping supply stores!

Oh, and SSIW lessons are already the ONLY thing on my IPOD! :)

I suggest putting a post up on the appropriate bootcamp page. I think that there was some spare bedding available, and if not I am sure one of the attendees will be able to sort you out. This is SSIW :clap:

Thanks Spenny!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain
Atomic Newt
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:09 pm

Jen, don't worry, as Spenny says, I'm sure we can sort some bedding for you - for heaven's sake don't try and carry unnecessary extra stuff over here from America!

Have you got your passport?!
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Atomic Newt » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:15 pm

Aran wrote:Jen, don't worry, as Spenny says, I'm sure we can sort some bedding for you - for heaven's sake don't try and carry unnecessary extra stuff over here from America!

Have you got your passport?!

Thanks! No not yet, I'm kind of taking things one thing at a time. I saw that MikeTheBike moved from August--does that mean there's a space for me or am I still on the waiting list?? :D I figured I'd wait to make firm plans until the passport comes in--I don't expect it for another week or possibly 10 days.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain
Atomic Newt
SSiW Member

Postby Catrin Lliar » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:54 pm

RugbyGal just reminded us - 2 weeks till the July Bootcamp!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Favourite food items (herbs and spices where it is not worth buying for a week). Welsh books that you're reading. Food/drink treats for sharing or bribing Aran/Iestyn.

Musical instruments. Canoes. Binoculars. mp3 player with SSiW lessons on it. (Compromise!)
Northern course female voice. Raised in Pen Llŷn, fled when 18. Spent my 20s discovering the wider world. A qualified teacher (English & art), worked in marketing with small local businesses - gave it all up to become a Mam! A creative soul who inherited my family's artistic gene, love drawing, being behind the lens of a camera and being creative with food. Movies, red wine, dark chocolate help me relax. Always here to help!
Catrin Lliar
SSi Head of Events

Postby Catrin Lliar » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:42 pm

Just reminding August Bootcampers of THE list... Looking forward to meeting you all... :wink:

Northern course female voice. Raised in Pen Llŷn, fled when 18. Spent my 20s discovering the wider world. A qualified teacher (English & art), worked in marketing with small local businesses - gave it all up to become a Mam! A creative soul who inherited my family's artistic gene, love drawing, being behind the lens of a camera and being creative with food. Movies, red wine, dark chocolate help me relax. Always here to help!
Catrin Lliar
SSi Head of Events

Postby Tahl » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:47 pm

Idea: There's a nice little (very little) book called Welsh Songs.
http://www.gwales.com/bibliographic/?is ... 57&tsid=17

It's got tunes, chords, and Welsh lyrics for 20 or so singable traditional & modern songs (Lawr ar Lan y Mor, Milgi Milgi, Moliannwn, Sosban Fach, Yma o Hyd, Lleucu Llwyd, others). You see it for sale in shops all over Wales in those standing "books for tourists" racks by cash registerss(it's the book with the orange edge on the cover). It would make it easy for singing to break out if some Bootcampers brought copies. :D Last May, we bought out every copy that Heledd had in her shop in Tresaith at the time :smile:.
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby mileslallemant » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:04 pm

Is there a piano in Tresaith?
mileslallemant
SSiW Member

PreviousNext

Return to Bootcamp - Welsh in the Wild!