Things to bring to Tresaith Bootcamp | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

No English for a week...:-)

Things to bring to Tresaith Bootcamp

Postby Catrin Lliar » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:36 pm

OK Please forgive me but I'm in to my lists at the moment... :roll:

But I thought maybe it would be a good idea to have an ongoing list on here which experienced Bootcampers could keep adding to, so if I put the headings in could you all very kindly add items to the list under the headings so that it becomes an useful resource for future attendants?

Thank you for your input! :clap:

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

ESSENTIAL ITEMS TO TAKE TO BOOTCAMP!

LUXURIES YOU MAY LIKE HAVING WITH YOU FOR THE WEEK

THINGS THAT MAY BE FUN OR INTERESTING TO HAVE WITH YOU AT BOOTCAMP
Northern course female voice. Raised in Pen Llŷn, fled when 18. Spent my 20s discovering the wider world. A qualified teacher (English & art), worked in marketing with small local businesses - gave it all up to become a Mam! A creative soul who inherited my family's artistic gene, love drawing, being behind the lens of a camera and being creative with food. Movies, red wine, dark chocolate help me relax. Always here to help!
Catrin Lliar
SSi Head of Events

Re: Things to bring for Bootcamp

Postby Catrin Lliar » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:52 pm

Calling all experienced Bootcampers! :star:

Please fill in here for future Bootcampers! :idea:
Northern course female voice. Raised in Pen Llŷn, fled when 18. Spent my 20s discovering the wider world. A qualified teacher (English & art), worked in marketing with small local businesses - gave it all up to become a Mam! A creative soul who inherited my family's artistic gene, love drawing, being behind the lens of a camera and being creative with food. Movies, red wine, dark chocolate help me relax. Always here to help!
Catrin Lliar
SSi Head of Events

Postby Aran » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:59 pm

Duvet. Duvet cover. Towels. Pillow cases. Toiletries. Swimming costume. Sun-tan lotion. mp3 player with SSiW lessons on it.

Favourite food items. Welsh books that you're reading.

Musical instruments. Canoes.
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby MiketheBike » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:25 am

What about binoculars for those people who love to see the wild mammals in the sea and the sea birds on the cliffs :!:
MiketheBike
SSiW Member

Postby Catrin Lliar » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:28 am

Duvet. Duvet cover. Towels. Pillow cases. Toiletries. Swimming costume. Sun-tan lotion. mp3 player with SSiW lessons on it.

Musical instruments. Canoes. Binoculars.

[anyone can add to this by cut and pasting this post :smile: ]
Catrin Lliar
SSi Head of Events

Postby Spenny » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:04 am

I'd delete the SSiW lessons - I reckon they go against the immersion principle. I found it unsettling to try and listen to them. Anyhow, there are 10 or so other live language lesson providers. :dance: So I'd start another section of things NOT to bring to Bootcamp (except for the drive to and from). Certainly not in the essential list!
The philosophies of Aran Jones: "Wanting to buy milk is a state of mind."
Spenny
The Magnificent Saith

Postby Aran » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:04 am

Interesting call. I have thought about the fact that there's English in them - but my hunch is that it's okay when it's only there for the immediate purpose of translation - after all, the immersion is about not using any English, rather than not hearing any English (which would be close to impossible, and mean that we had to ban ourselves from the Llong... :shock: ).

But it's worth some more thought, certainly.

Incidentally, while you're around, Mr S - I see that there's a new version of phpBB out, and we're being prompted to update.

Updating scares the bejeebus out of me.

Any chance you fancy taking it on?...:D
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Catrin Lliar » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:11 am

Stop hijacking my thread... :ing: :wink:

Musical instruments. Canoes. Binoculars.

[anyone can add to this by cut and pasting this post :smile: ]
Catrin Lliar
SSi Head of Events

Postby Spenny » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:21 am

Duvet. Duvet cover. Towels. Pillow cases. Toiletries. Swimming costume. Sun-tan lotion. Torch (wee time and pub time) Umbrella (ditto! - ask BigBobWales) Wet weather gear. Walking boots. Sense of humour. Sense of direction. Drying up cloths, rubber gloves and other consumables that the kitchen might not have. Slippers/indoor shoes.

Favourite food items (herbs and spices where it is not worth buying for a week). Welsh books that you're reading. Food/drink treats for sharing or bribing Aran/Iestyn.

Musical instruments. Canoes. Binoculars. mp3 player with SSiW lessons on it. (Compromise!)
The philosophies of Aran Jones: "Wanting to buy milk is a state of mind."
Spenny
The Magnificent Saith

Postby Atomic Newt » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:55 am

Spenny wrote:ESSENTIAL ITEMS TO TAKE TO BOOTCAMP!

Duvet. Duvet cover. Towels. Pillow cases. Toiletries. Swimming costume. Sun-tan lotion. Torch (wee time and pub time) Umbrella (ditto! - ask BigBobWales) Wet weather gear. Walking boots. Sense of humour. Sense of direction. Drying up cloths, rubber gloves and other consumables that the kitchen might not have. Slippers/indoor shoes.

I'm glad that discussion of duvets & pillows came up--I thought there would be bedding available! :-? I'd be coming over from the US and didn't realize I'd have to carry my bedding on my back! (I was rather hoping to get everything into a carry-on--limit the risk of all my clean skivvies detouring to Glasgow! :oops: ) Just checking this is definitely so?? :help: If so I'll need start investigating camping supply stores!

Oh, and SSIW lessons are already the ONLY thing on my IPOD! :)
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain
Atomic Newt
SSiW Member

Next

Return to Bootcamp - Welsh in the Wild!