2014 Luxury Northern Bootcamp/Bwtnos - ALL THE GOSSIP! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

No English for a week...:-)

Re: 2014 Luxury Northern Bootcamp/Bwtnos - ALL THE GOSSIP!

Postby essenbee » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:48 pm

There have been some very comprehensive posts covering the events of Bootcamp week, so I thought that I would just mention some of my personal highlights from a most wonderful experience:

First and foremost, meeting a brilliant group of people with whom to share the week; they were just awsome - friendly, funny, supportive, inspiring. And of course finally meeting the wonderful Jones family!

Buying takeaways for the group, in Pwllheli with Mark, all in Welsh.

The spellbinding voice of Meinir at the private gig in Gadlas.

Attending the protest rally in Caernarfon and chatting to one of the speakers about the issues afterwards. He was so interesting, and also so enthusiastic that a group of learners living in Welsh for the week had rolled up to support the rally.

Our archeological tour of Caernarfon's Roman and industrial past. Our guide was superb and very patient with my questions!

Having a long chat with Aran about the future of Say Something In, whilst taking a walk in the countryside around Mynytho.

Sitting on the beachside balcony at the Ty Newydd in the blazing sun, looking out at the most perfect scene in the world.

Standing on the deserted beach at Pwllheli, with Ian's screams in the background as he paddled in the freezing cold water, just drinking in another prefect scene.

And above all, sitting in the minibus on the way back from our tour of the Rownd a Rownd film set, and suddenly realising that I was thinking in Welsh, and just being stunned by that. It is something I hope I will never forget. From that time one, I dreamt in Welsh every night as well. It was so exciting.

So huge thanks to Aran and Catrin for the opportunity to spend a week in Welsh, to the rest of the bootcampers for being so fantastic, and to every person I spoke to in yr hen iaith. It was magical.

I am detrmined to try and live part of my life in Welsh from now on. As a start I have resolved not to read books for relaxation, in English anymore. I am not speaking English at all at our SSiW meetups in Dorridge and Solihull either, and I hope that my ffrinDiaith meetups with Aled James will become regular so that I can speak for a few hours in Welsh every week. And then there is Skype and some new friends to set up calls with. I am desperate not to forget how that week at bootcamp felt - how it felt to demonstrably, actually, be a Welsh speaker.

Thats enough waffle from me, so hwyl!

Stu
Ar hyn o bryd, dw i'n astudio: Cwrs 3 Gwers 20 (fersiwn y Gogledd)
Yn ddiweddar, dw i wedi bod yn gwrando ar Meinir Gwilym
Beth ydw i'n darllen? Alecs Rider 1: Tarandon
Fel 'na ma' i a fel 'na fydd hi
essenbee
SSiW Member

Postby vgh50 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:55 am

Catrin Lliar wrote:find ourselves in the company of a Bootcamper who likes to cook omelets naked at three in the morning. :shock:

It was pancakes... :wink: :lol:

Catrin Lliar wrote:I feel honoured to have spent the week with them. I have never laughed and cried so much in one week, ever. I shall indeed never forget it. :cariad: :cry: :cariad: :cry: :cariad:

Diolch Bwtcampwyr.

It was a huge privilege and an honour to spend this very special week with you and Aran!!! A lovely summary of the week, Catrin, I had trouble reading it at times through the laughter and tears. Brought it all back, cwtch mawr i ti!! xxx :cariad: :cariad: :cariad: xxx

essenbee wrote:I am desperate not to forget how that week at bootcamp felt - how it felt to demonstrably, actually, be a Welsh speaker.

I feel exactly the same! :D
vgh50
SSiW Member

Postby dinas » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:28 am

If you look carefully near the end you'll spot SSIWers, who attended the CYD protest, in the crowd: I can see Susanna and Stu and someone who looks like Mark - a former Bootcamper - holding up a banner...

"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

Postby Tahl » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:36 pm

I've loved reading this thread. Diolch o galon i chi i gyd. :cariad:
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby MikeEllwood » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:28 pm

dinas wrote:If you look carefully near the end you'll spot SSIWers, who attended the CYD protest, in the crowd: I can see Susanna and Stu and someone who looks like Mark - a former Bootcamper - holding up a banner...

Showing my ignorance here, but what exactly were they protesting about?

Diolch.
Northern: Flirting with C3

O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau
MikeEllwood

Postby essenbee » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:55 pm

MikeEllwood wrote:Showing my ignorance here, but what exactly were they protesting about?

S'mae Mike,

The protest was about plans to build 8000 new houses in Gwynedd, thus diluting the population of Welsh speakers, leading to it becoming harder to live life though Welsh alone. I talked with one of the speakers at the rally (in Welsh wrth gwrs), and there was a lot of local concern about the issue. Protests about the building of huge numbers of new houses in an area is nothing new and certainly not confined to Wales, of course, but the concern here was around language issues in particular.

Hwyl,

Stu
Ar hyn o bryd, dw i'n astudio: Cwrs 3 Gwers 20 (fersiwn y Gogledd)
Yn ddiweddar, dw i wedi bod yn gwrando ar Meinir Gwilym
Beth ydw i'n darllen? Alecs Rider 1: Tarandon
Fel 'na ma' i a fel 'na fydd hi
essenbee
SSiW Member

Postby MikeEllwood » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:34 pm

essenbee wrote:
MikeEllwood wrote:Showing my ignorance here, but what exactly were they protesting about?

S'mae Mike,

The protest was about plans to build 8000 new houses in Gwynedd, thus diluting the population of Welsh speakers, leading to it becoming harder to live life though Welsh alone. I talked with one of the speakers at the rally (in Welsh wrth gwrs), and there was a lot of local concern about the issue. Protests about the building of huge numbers of new houses in an area is nothing new and certainly not confined to Wales, of course, but the concern here was around language issues in particular.

Hwyl,

Stu

Interesting Stu; diolch.

I'm not sure if I've managed yet to read every post - although I have definitely read the very moving one by Catrin - but if I remember correctly, Catrin's isn't the only post to mention tears. As a soon to be first-time Bootcamper In Another Place, I'm just wondering if tears are a compulsory part of the Bootcamp experience.....I mean...there are tears and tears, and if they don't come one way, perhaps the Powers that Be will ensure that they come another... :D
Northern: Flirting with C3

O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau
MikeEllwood

Postby TygerC » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:48 pm

I'm still alive!

I don't really like writing to the forum with my mobile since the zoom works reeeally strangely, but...

Interestingly enough, my best bootcamp moment was a visit to a doctor. Nothing major, stupid urticaria just not reacting at all to the stuff I brought with me. But the thing is, I managed that visit using mostly Welsh. I needed only a couple of words English. :dance:

Aran & Geraint: thanks for getting me there (and back too).

After the bootcamp I spent the next week enjoying the hospitality of Karen and Crispin near Dolgellau. Mostly just relaxing and speaking Welsh. Oh, and we went to the lauch gig of Sesiwn Fawr: Meic Stevens & Gwerinos (and wow, they were good).

Yesterday I got to London and I'm getting back to Finland on Monday.

Catrin Lliar wrote:I'll let Susanna tell you about her brush with the real cofi experience... :wink:

Well, someone was lucky not to get his arm broken, but that was mostly because I know only how to cause permanent damage. :twisted:
Dogs have owners, cats have staff.
me@twitter, blog, g+, susanna.sorvali@Skype
#Believe in Sherlock
TygerC
SSiW Member

Postby Gruntius » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:02 pm

MikeEllwood wrote:I'm just wondering if tears are a compulsory part of the Bootcamp experience.

Mike, before my first bootcamp last year I had made it to 42 years old with only crying twice as an adult male, both of which involved my wife giving birth. I can't explain it but for some reason the extreme emotions involved in bootcamp have turned me into a blubbering mess at the drop of a hat, the first time being half way down Tre'r Ceiri last year. From then on I've been a big baby so I would say yes, tears are a compulsory part of bootcamp and you should prepare for waterworks. I think I only cried 3 times this year so I think I'm getting hard to it. :lol:
Doing the Gog thingy.

"The_drummist" on Skype if you fancy a chat.

A little bit of my past life ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEhh2dCQYg
Gruntius
SSiW Member

Postby dinas » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:53 pm

Gruntius wrote:
MikeEllwood wrote:I'm just wondering if tears are a compulsory part of the Bootcamp experience.

Mike, before my first bootcamp last year I had made it to 42 years old with only crying twice as an adult male, both of which involved my wife giving birth. I can't explain it but for some reason the extreme emotions involved in bootcamp have turned me into a blubbering mess at the drop of a hat, the first time being half way down Tre'r Ceiri last year. From then on I've been a big baby so I would say yes, tears are a compulsory part of bootcamp and you should prepare for waterworks. I think I only cried 3 times this year so I think I'm getting hard to it. :lol:

I've found the experience of learning Welsh cathartic - in the sense of an emotional cleansing journey - and yet I couldn't explain why.
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

PreviousNext

Return to Bootcamp - Welsh in the Wild!