Bootcamp Scholarships | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

No English for a week...:-)

Tresaith Bootcamps 2014

Postby hewrop » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:35 pm

Less than £40 a day for accommodation, excursions and intensive tuition seems incredible value to me. I benefited from the crazy rate of the first bootcamp and two subsequent bootcamps at the more sustainable prices.

Having said that, the encouragement of learners who are unable to bear the cost seems a worthy aim. Have scholarships been discussed with a view to funding one or more Bootcamp attendances per year? I don't feel that this should be a burden on SSi's already stretched resources so I suppose I am talking about setting up a separate scholarship fund. I try not to make suggestions without being willing to make a personal commitment so, if there is sufficient support, I'll discuss with our great leaders if and how such a fund could be set up and administered.

Sorry if all this has been thrashed out before.
hewrop
The Magnificent Saith

Re: Tresaith Bootcamps 2014

Postby DavidHT » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:40 pm

hewrop wrote:Having said that, the encouragement of learners who are unable to bear the cost seems a worthy aim. Have scholarships been discussed with a view to funding one or more Bootcamp attendances per year? I don't feel that this should be a burden on SSi's already stretched resources so I suppose I am talking about setting up a separate scholarship fund.

Oh wow what a magnificent idea. It would only take an extra few pence from subscribers like us to fund something like this, and who is going to miss an extra 50p per month (for example)?
David HT
I reached (southern) cwrs 2 gwers 18, and struggled. Went back to the beginning of course 2, by way of revision, and light relief! Currently revising gwers 9.
Please feel free to correct my Welsh, and if you can explain why that's even better!
Currently doing Mynediad 2 at evening classes.
DavidHT
SSiW Member

Postby essenbee » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:41 pm

hewrop wrote:...so I suppose I am talking about setting up a separate scholarship fund...

What a great idea Huw! I would support something like that.

Stu
Ar hyn o bryd, dw i'n astudio: Cwrs 3 Gwers 20 (fersiwn y Gogledd)
Yn ddiweddar, dw i wedi bod yn gwrando ar Meinir Gwilym
Beth ydw i'n darllen? Alecs Rider 1: Tarandon
Fel 'na ma' i a fel 'na fydd hi
essenbee
SSiW Member

Postby hewrop » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:07 pm

essenbee wrote:
hewrop wrote:...so I suppose I am talking about setting up a separate scholarship fund...

Stu

Thanks Stu.
I thought I recalled the subject coming up before and have located this 2011 post from Aran which should be noted: http://www.saysomethingin.com/welsh/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=4750&p=50542&hilit=+scholarship#p50542
If there's more response to my suggestion, I'll move or ask Tahl to move the topic to its own thread.
hewrop
The Magnificent Saith

Bootcamp Scholarships

Postby MikeEllwood » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:49 pm

essenbee wrote:

Stu

+1
Northern: Flirting with C3

O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau
MikeEllwood

Re: Bootcamp Scholarships

Postby Aran » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:30 pm

hewrop wrote:Have scholarships been discussed with a view to funding one or more Bootcamp attendances per year?

We have in the past quietly 'scholarshipped' particularly deserving cases, on the understanding that the recipients don't talk about it (because it's not something we can do as much as we'd like).

An external, fund-raising kind of scholarship is certainly something we'd be happy to talk about, although it might be a bit tricky deciding who gets it - and we've also talked about reverting to a 'for free' model in the future if we have enough cash flow to maintain it - but that's not imminent, so interim ideas could be worth going after.

I do think the matter of choosing a recipient will be very tricky, though.
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby hewrop » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:48 pm

Diane. :help: :smile:
Following Aran's and other supportive responses, it does seem worth reviving the scholarships issue.
Could we prevail on you to work your magic and move the scholarship posts in this thread to a new topic?
If you'd be kind enough to do that, I have some further ideas to throw into the arena.
:smile:
hewrop
The Magnificent Saith

Postby RobertBruce » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:20 pm

I've split this off. Unfortunately I lost a couple of posts in the process when the forum reset halfway through. Sorry 'bout that. :oops:
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel

Postby hewrop » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:05 pm

RobertBruce wrote:I've split this off. Unfortunately I lost a couple of posts in the process when the forum reset halfway through. Sorry 'bout that. :oops:

Many thanks, RB. :diolch: I didn't know the other angels had Diane's magic powers. :harhar:
I don't think you missed much. So far there was just my original post and supportive comments from Stu, DavidHT, MikeEllwood and Aran.

I'll post some further thoughts here soon.
hewrop
The Magnificent Saith

Postby Aran » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:10 pm

RobertBruce wrote:I've split this off. Unfortunately I lost a couple of posts in the process when the forum reset halfway through. Sorry 'bout that. :oops:

Found them for you...:wink:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Next

Return to Bootcamp - Welsh in the Wild!