July 2014 Bootcamp bookings | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

No English for a week...:-)

July 2014 Bootcamp bookings

Postby Iestyn » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:43 pm

Booking is open for the July bootcamp, which runs from 4pm Saturday 26th of July to 10am Saturday 2nd August (the first day of the National Eisteddfod in Llanelli).

Cost is £260. We are not certain of running until there are 6 people signed up (to cover our costs), but we shall keep a close eye, and keep you updated on how many places there are left.

Here is the link for booking: https://bookwhen.com/he4qc/201407260000/rcq

The July bootcamp is now Sold Out!

It may be worth you putting your name forwrad for the reserve list in case someone drops out, but other thatn that, there are still places availabel in June and September. But you may need to move quickly...!

Please remember the following bootcamp conditions:

1) Bootcamp payments are, generally speaking, not refundable. Your money will, of course be refunded in full if *we* cancel the bootcamp, but if *you* pull out, we reserve the right not to return anything. This is especially true if you pull out close to the date, making it difficult to fill your place. Please make sure that you are definitely wanting to come on bootcamp, and please take out holiday insurance (yes, this is a holiday!) to cover your costs in the event of a change of circumstance.

2) No language except Welsh is allowed during bootcamp. There is a time for orientation at the start and an introduction in English, so that we all start on the same page, but after that you will not speak English (or any language other than Welsh) until the following Saturday.

3) Bootcamp is for people who have completed the material in course 1, including the vocab lessons. If you are a non-SSiWer, then please do lesson 25 (south) or 26 (north), and vocab unit 10, and if you can't keep up, then fly through the course to give yourself a chance at bootcamp.

4) Bootcamp is one of the most frightening, rewarding, tiring, exhilirating experiences you will ever take part in. If you throw yourself in, you will end the week as a Welsh speaker. If you are half hearted, you will probably not enjoy the experience, and you certainly won't get the most out of it. Please be committed!!!

5) That's all sounded a bit serious... Bootcamp is a holiday in one of the most beautiful parts of Wales (and thus, the world). You will spend a week with lovely people, visiting lovely places, and doing interesting things. You will have fun, and go home with beautiful memories that will last you a life time, and firm friendships that will take your Welsh to a new level. Come on holiday, and go home a Welsh speaker - how's that for a bargain?!!!
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Re: July 2014 Bootcamp bookings

Postby Iestyn » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:57 pm

Nowq then - how have we managed that? Only three palces left on the July bootcamp, and no-one has posted on the July thread yet...

Oh, alright, except for me saying that there are only 3 places left, and no-one has posted.

There's always one pedant...
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby dinas » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:12 pm

Iestyn wrote:Nowq then - how have we managed that? Only three palces left on the July bootcamp, and no-one has posted on the July thread yet...

Oh, alright, except for me saying that there are only 3 places left, and no-one has posted.

There's always one pedant...

Great to see the Bootcamp places are shifting so fast...
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

Postby faithless78 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:35 pm

... would like to see the June bootcamp places go quicker too. Still 6 places to go!!!
Rwy'n gwneud SSiW Cwrs 3 (Deheuol) Gwers 25,
a SSiW Lefel 1 newydd (Deheuol) hefyd (rwy newydd gwpla Her 14).
“Falle fod e'n hen foi od i bawb arall, ond nid i fi.” DCI Mathias #ygwyll
"Weithir, rwy'n moyn yfed dy gwrw di hefyd!" SSiW Cwrs 2, Gwers 24
faithless78
SSiW Member

Postby RamblingJohn » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:45 pm

i have no doubt it will fill up soon enough, it's far enough away that people feel there is no rush yet.

Cheers J.P.
Northern cwrs 2, vocabs. dipping tentative toe in cwrs3.
The todo list grows ever longer.
In the beginning there was no history, let's try and add something useful.
RamblingJohn
SSiW Member

Postby Maynard » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:39 pm

I m going in July and making it a double whammy with the eisteddfod... Dw i eisau byw yn y Gymraeg ! :lol:

skype ..maynard.archer - croeso i siarad !
Maynard
SSiW Member

Postby a-jay » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi Iestyn,

I know this has been asked before, but I am doing the Northern Course.

Does it really not matter which you are doing?

Thanks

Andy
Course 2, lesson 18 that will not defeat me!!!
a-jay
SSiW Member

Postby Iestyn » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:04 pm

It "matters" which course you are doing for the first day or so, if you let it matter.

In other words, whether you are doing southern or northern, you will quickly come across patterns on bootcamp that you are unfamiliar with. If you let this get to you, then it will affect your enjoyment. If, on the other hand, you can accept that these differences exist, by the Monday (or day 3), you will be used to the occasional* differences, and just be accepting them the same as you do in English.

Some of the real team-building moments on bootcamp come from the "eh? What on earth is that?... Oh, so you say it that way, how wierd..." moments. They give you a strange "in-common" feeling, something to discuss, beyond falling dogs and steep flights of steps...

*Occasional in that there are not that many words that are different. The problem is they are generally the most commonly used words / phrases.

Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby a-jay » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:15 pm

Thanks Iestyn,

I'm in! Paid up and raring to go!

Andy
Course 2, lesson 18 that will not defeat me!!!
a-jay
SSiW Member

Postby Gorwelgwynedd » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:16 pm

So am I!
Carys
Gorwelgwynedd
SSiW Member

Next

Return to Bootcamp - Welsh in the Wild!