April 2014 Tresaith Bootcamp bookings | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

No English for a week...:-)

Re: April 2014 Tresaith Bootcamp bookings

Postby cat » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:11 pm

hewrop wrote:
DavidHT wrote:Possibly silly question, possibly not. How do people manage when they need to touch base with home? For me it's not desirous or good for my marriage to be out of contact with hubby for a solid week, but I would not want to be overheard speaking in English. Is it simply a matter of applying common sense, and taking myself off down behind a bush or at the bottom of a field to phone home and not be overheard?

That's a tricky one, David, but I think I have a solution. :smile:
What you need is a trusted Welsh-speaking friend. You can then phone him/her with your message. They would relay it in English to hubby and receive any reply. Finally they would phone you back with a Welsh-only translation of the response. - Sorted! :D

Ideally, we'd have a complete no English rule - it really is much easier for your brain to accept Welsh only, if you don't keep switching it to English. However, that's not very realistic!! Partners, children, families and work, (real life, basically), may all want to get in touch with you, so we ask that it's kept to a bare minimum (for the benefit of your Welsh), and that you go somewhere else to accept or make the call (for the good of everyone else's Welsh).

Although maybe Huw has set up a new real-time translation service, where you could phone him, he would have your husband an another line, and you could have a somewhat stilted conversation through Huw - I wouldn't want to ruin his business plan by depriving him of one of his bootcamp earnings!
cat
SSi Head of Marketing

Postby DavidHT » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:44 pm

cat wrote:Ideally, we'd have a complete no English rule - it really is much easier for your brain to accept Welsh only, if you don't keep switching it to English. However, that's not very realistic!! Partners, children, families and work, (real life, basically), may all want to get in touch with you, so we ask that it's kept to a bare minimum (for the benefit of your Welsh), and that you go somewhere else to accept or make the call (for the good of everyone else's Welsh).

I was hoping the answer would be something along those lines. I'm sure a couple of minutes a day out of everyone's earshot won't do me irreversible damage ;) And I can always post nice pictures with Welsh captions onto Facebook.

I could just about get hubby to accept me going away for a week but not knowing if I were dead or alive for that week might be a bit much to ask :) :harhar:

Sadly he's not interested in learning Welsh, and that's fine, I can't make him. He does do something very sweet though, if he hands me something, I say "diolch" and he continues, "yn fawr." This is progress, and it has taken two years!
David HT
I reached (southern) cwrs 2 gwers 18, and struggled. Went back to the beginning of course 2, by way of revision, and light relief! Currently revising gwers 9.
Please feel free to correct my Welsh, and if you can explain why that's even better!
Currently doing Mynediad 2 at evening classes.
DavidHT
SSiW Member

Postby hewrop » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:04 pm

DavidHT wrote:I was hoping the answer would be something along those lines. I'm sure a couple of minutes a day out of everyone's earshot won't do me irreversible damage ;) And I can always post nice pictures with Welsh captions onto Facebook.

The best way of enjoying and benefitting from the week is to feel relaxed so, as Cat suggests, the occasional brief departure from the Welsh-only rule will do more good than harm as long as it is brief and occasional.

By the way I used to phone Maureen from the 3 bootcamps I have attended. I spoke Welsh. She didn't understand me but that applies when we talk English, too. :harhar:

Pity about my real-time translation venture, though. I was hoping to retire on that. :D
hewrop
The Magnificent Saith

Postby Gruntius » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:12 pm

David, while on bootcamp last year I kept in touch with my wife through texts with her using Google Translate. It wasn't perfect and I had to reword the odd message for it to work but it was better than nothing and I managed to stay in Welsh for 98% of the time. This year (43 days time :clap: ) I'll be going for 100%. The no English rule is really the magic of bootcamp, the less English you use, the better the effect. It will be worth the effort.
Doing the Gog thingy.

"The_drummist" on Skype if you fancy a chat.

A little bit of my past life ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEhh2dCQYg
Gruntius
SSiW Member

Postby Catrin Lliar » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:06 pm

Gruntius wrote:David, while on bootcamp last year I kept in touch with my wife through texts with her using Google Translate. It wasn't perfect and I had to reword the odd message for it to work but it was better than nothing and I managed to stay in Welsh for 98% of the time. This year (43 days time :clap: ) I'll be going for 100%. The no English rule is really the magic of bootcamp, the less English you use, the better the effect. It will be worth the effort.

Of course, Tracey will know exactly what's going on with you and when, even how much cake you've had... Facebook is a dangerous place... :wink:
Northern course female voice. Raised in Pen Llŷn, fled when 18. Spent my 20s discovering the wider world. A qualified teacher (English & art), worked in marketing with small local businesses - gave it all up to become a Mam! A creative soul who inherited my family's artistic gene, love drawing, being behind the lens of a camera and being creative with food. Movies, red wine, dark chocolate help me relax. Always here to help!
Catrin Lliar
SSi Head of Events

Postby Gruntius » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:44 pm

:oops:

What happened to "what goes on in bootcamp, stays in bootcamp"? :shock:
Doing the Gog thingy.

"The_drummist" on Skype if you fancy a chat.

A little bit of my past life ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEhh2dCQYg
Gruntius
SSiW Member

Postby Iestyn » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:55 pm

Warning all - there is just 1 plaec left on the April bootcamp!

If you want it, best be quick!
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby dinas » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:59 pm

I'll be going for 100%. The no English rule is really the magic of bootcamp, the less English you use, the better the effect. It will be worth the effort.

100%!!!! That's a bit like finding a chicken with teeth....Wow! I've never met a Welsh person with 100% percent Welsh... :wow:
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

Postby MikeEllwood » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:34 am

Well, I thought the fact that April appears to have quietly filled up deserved a bit of a bump.
(And the others seem to be filling up steadily).

Dydd Gwyl Dewi hapus iawn i gyd
Northern: Flirting with C3

O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau
MikeEllwood

Postby Iestyn » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:16 am

Due to a pretty unsurmountable personal reason, someone has pulled out of April bootcamp, so we have a space available.

Book soon to avoid disappointment!
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

PreviousNext

Return to Bootcamp - Welsh in the Wild!