April 2014 Tresaith Bootcamp bookings | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

No English for a week...:-)

Re: April 2014 Tresaith Bootcamp bookings

Postby DavidHT » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:42 pm

hewrop wrote:David, if
1. you do decide to go and
2. you get the necessary passout and
3. no-one else is going from Aber to Tresaith at a convenient time,
I will happily give you a lift from the station to the Canolfan Tresaith (about 1 hour by car). I fancy seeing the old haunts again. :smile:

Wow, a thousand thank yous, that's such a lovely offer. I will let you know a bit nearer the time!
David HT
I reached (southern) cwrs 2 gwers 18, and struggled. Went back to the beginning of course 2, by way of revision, and light relief! Currently revising gwers 9.
Please feel free to correct my Welsh, and if you can explain why that's even better!
Currently doing Mynediad 2 at evening classes.
DavidHT
SSiW Member

Postby MikeEllwood » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:33 pm

I've looked through the "What to bring on Bootcamp" and related threads, but I don't think I've seen the answer to this question:

Are Welsh-English/English-Welsh dictionaries allowed?

I think the answer is probably no.
In fact, I hope the answer is no.

Because if it's yes, then I'll probably not resist the temptation to bring one, and then regret it because of the weight, and space, and it'll end up not getting used anyway... :D
Northern: Flirting with C3

O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau
MikeEllwood

Postby Sionned » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:50 pm

I believe you are correct - that Welsh/English (& vice versa) dictionaries are not allowed. If you don't know a word you have to find a way to ask ('beth ydy'r peth 'na?'), find another way to say what you want, or act out what you're trying to say! At least that is what I'm remembering from the past. The idea is that you stay firmly and completely in the Welsh language for the entire week rather than dropping out to English even for a few minutes. Others have said that, after a week in Welsh, it is actually a bit jarring to go back to English, and it would be counter-productive to your ability to stay in Welsh if you stopped to look things up.
Please do read the forum guidelines - they're very short!
And let me know where you live, and I'll put you on the map!
Sionned
SSiW Angel

Postby MikeEllwood » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:55 am

Sionned wrote:I believe you are correct - that Welsh/English (& vice versa) dictionaries are not allowed. If you don't know a word you have to find a way to ask ('beth ydy'r peth 'na?'), find another way to say what you want, or act out what you're trying to say! At least that is what I'm remembering from the past. The idea is that you stay firmly and completely in the Welsh language for the entire week rather than dropping out to English even for a few minutes. Others have said that, after a week in Welsh, it is actually a bit jarring to go back to English, and it would be counter-productive to your ability to stay in Welsh if you stopped to look things up.

Diolch i ti Sionned.

Sounds sensible to me.

I did read in an old Bootcamp thread somewhere, that while one's skills in Welsh definitely improve, one's skills in miming go through the roof! :)

MikeEllwood

Postby faithless78 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:10 am

MikeEllwood wrote:I've looked through the "What to bring on Bootcamp" and related threads, but I don't think I've seen the answer to this question:

Are Welsh-English/English-Welsh dictionaries allowed?

I think the answer is probably no.
In fact, I hope the answer is no.

Because if it's yes, then I'll probably not resist the temptation to bring one, and then regret it because of the weight, and space, and it'll end up not getting used anyway... :D

Shwmae Mike.
I just had another look through the notes about bootcamp and saw this:

Bootcamps' - SSiW wiki wrote:LUXURIES YOU MAY LIKE HAVING WITH YOU FOR THE WEEK

Favourite food items (herbs and spices where it is not worth buying for a week). Food/drink treats for sharing or bribing the leaders.
Ingredients for caffeinated or decaffeinated beverages of your choice. Coffee-making equipment if you want to make anything other than instant; a cafetiere can be a very popular item.
Welsh dictionary. Notebook to write down new words you learn. Books with Welsh lyrics to singable songs (Calon Lan, Sospan Fach, etc) - the more copies, the better.
Local map. Mobile phone for when you get lost.

...unless this refers to the kind where there are no English translations available (like our standard Oxford dictionary) where I would love to get a copy of one should it exist :D

It's certainly something we should double-check before we set off for bootcamp at least.
Rwy'n gwneud SSiW Cwrs 3 (Deheuol) Gwers 25,
a SSiW Lefel 1 newydd (Deheuol) hefyd (rwy newydd gwpla Her 14).
“Falle fod e'n hen foi od i bawb arall, ond nid i fi.” DCI Mathias #ygwyll
"Weithir, rwy'n moyn yfed dy gwrw di hefyd!" SSiW Cwrs 2, Gwers 24
faithless78
SSiW Member

Postby Sionned » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:59 am

I based my answer on this post from discussions before the very first bootcamp in 2010. I am sure Aran (or someone else) will come along soon and clarify the answer.
Please do read the forum guidelines - they're very short!
And let me know where you live, and I'll put you on the map!
Sionned
SSiW Angel

Postby cat » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:26 am

MikeEllwood wrote: Are Welsh-English/English-Welsh dictionaries allowed?

Some people do bring dictionaries with them, as they're a kind of crutch, but we do keep an eye on usage, and if it turns out to be a more-than-once-a-day usage, we have a quiet word - as has been said, it can be really disruptive to a conversation, for someone to be looking up a word mid-sentence, and far better for your Welsh to make you talk around the word you don't know. We do find though, that the people who bring them are quite relieved to be told not to use them, as they start to doubt their Welsh less, and gain huge amounts of confidence in their speaking abilities (as opposed to beforehand, when they would not speak until they'd checked something).

I usually have my iPad on hand, to do any research we need during the week, and that holds the ap Geiriaduron, should we be really stuck!

So yes, feel free to bring it in order to make your luggage heavier, but I doubt you'll use it!
cat
SSi Head of Marketing

Postby MikeEllwood » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:48 am

Diolch Gav, Sionned a Cat.

I think I'll almost certainly leave it at home then.

Presumably things like the Novelau Nawr book series, that have a few words of English vocab at the bottom of each page are acceptable? I'd guess the ratio of Welsh to English overall is in the very high 90s%, so it's not like you're reading an English book. (And you could just cover up the English words if you were strong-minded... :D ).

MikeEllwood

Postby DavidHT » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:12 pm

Possibly silly question, possibly not. How do people manage when they need to touch base with home? For me it's not desirous or good for my marriage to be out of contact with hubby for a solid week, but I would not want to be overheard speaking in English. Is it simply a matter of applying common sense, and taking myself off down behind a bush or at the bottom of a field to phone home and not be overheard?
David HT
I reached (southern) cwrs 2 gwers 18, and struggled. Went back to the beginning of course 2, by way of revision, and light relief! Currently revising gwers 9.
Please feel free to correct my Welsh, and if you can explain why that's even better!
Currently doing Mynediad 2 at evening classes.
DavidHT
SSiW Member

Postby hewrop » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:39 pm

DavidHT wrote:Possibly silly question, possibly not. How do people manage when they need to touch base with home? For me it's not desirous or good for my marriage to be out of contact with hubby for a solid week, but I would not want to be overheard speaking in English. Is it simply a matter of applying common sense, and taking myself off down behind a bush or at the bottom of a field to phone home and not be overheard?

That's a tricky one, David, but I think I have a solution. :smile:
What you need is a trusted Welsh-speaking friend. You can then phone him/her with your message. They would relay it in English to hubby and receive any reply. Finally they would phone you back with a Welsh-only translation of the response. - Sorted! :D
hewrop
The Magnificent Saith

PreviousNext

Return to Bootcamp - Welsh in the Wild!