Northern Bootcamp - 28/03/14 - Booking details schedule | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

No English for a week...:-)

Re: Northern Bootcamp - 28/03/14 - Booking details schedule

Postby owdsb02 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:04 pm

Well - my paypal account says: transaction successfull - and its shown on my bankaccount as well.
So I am quite sure I am in :dance:
*** please feel free to correct me at any time ***
(cwrs 2 - gwers 21 - repeating )
owdsb02
SSiW Member

Postby Anne-Northumberland » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:23 pm

Hooray! That's a relief.
I just checked with the bank too, and apparently my PP account sets up a payment as a one-off DD, and PayPal haven't requested payment yet, which is why it doesn't show on my account.
Diolch. :smile:
Aran wrote:Sounds odd - I've just checked, and you're safely in there Anne, and showing as having had your payment processed and everything...:D
Anne-Northumberland
SSiW Member

Postby angelique » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:25 am

Thanks for replies. I hope you all enjoy the bootcamp. Ange
angelique

Postby owdsb02 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:24 pm

Helo pawb.

This might be not the right place or just a bit early to talk about, but as I used to travel to GB a few times a year I will book a flight to London on march 28th early morning. (First time I am really scared about :-? )

The ticket includes a rental car for the entire time until flight back on april 4th, evening time.

Just wanted to let you know early enough to set arrangements if someone needs a lift from London or other places on the route to Sarn.

Martin
*** please feel free to correct me at any time ***
(cwrs 2 - gwers 21 - repeating )
owdsb02
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:04 pm

That's really kind of you, Martin - diolch yn fawr iawn...:)

And remember to say that you are on your HOLIDAYS, and NOT that you are coming to study - the 'study' thing can need all sorts of extra paperwork and create real problems. Holidays, holidays, holidays.

Which also happens to be true...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Tahl » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:28 pm

Aran wrote:And remember to say that you are on your HOLIDAYS, and NOT that you are coming to study - the 'study' thing can need all sorts of extra paperwork and create real problems. Holidays, holidays, holidays.

This is super-important for people coming from the US, too: be clear when you are going through UK Immigration at the airport that you are on vacation, and not to learn or study or attend a course. Which, as Aran says, happens to be true. It's a vacation that will involve the crucial skill of trying to figure out what the heck "gas mark 4" on an oven means. :D
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby johngwilym » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:16 pm

Dear Aran,
Following the request for expressions of interest in a northern boot camp last year I duly expressed mine in October and subsequently on 4 November in the same thread stated my wish to make a firm booking commitment. I had been expecting to see further reference to the camp in the regular e-mails. When in the latest one the bookings for Tresaith were advertised I wrote to enquire if the first one in April was in lieu of the one planned for Pen Llŷn. Aran informed me that it was not and that the Pen Llŷn had been fully booked soon after it had been announced. I must have been looking for details in the wrong place and also possibly misplacing my request to attend. Perhaps if you don't already have a waiting list you could offer me a place in the event of a cancellation.
Blwyddyn Newydd Dda.
johngwilym
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:45 pm

johngwilym wrote:Following the request for expressions of interest in a northern boot camp last year I duly expressed mine in October and subsequently on 4 November in the same thread stated my wish to make a firm booking commitment. I had been expecting to see further reference to the camp in the regular e-mails. When in the latest one the bookings for Tresaith were advertised I wrote to enquire if the first one in April was in lieu of the one planned for Pen Llŷn. Aran informed me that it was not and that the Pen Llŷn had been fully booked soon after it had been announced. I must have been looking for details in the wrong place and also possibly misplacing my request to attend. Perhaps if you don't already have a waiting list you could offer me a place in the event of a cancellation.

I'm very sorry indeed that the communication didn't work smoothly for you, John - it is becoming increasingly clear that running Bootcamps through the forum isn't the smoothest way of doing it, and in the course of this year I'm optimistic that we'll get to the point of having an email list for Bootcamps built into the new site.

On this occasion, looking back at the thread where you posted your interest, two days after your post (viewtopic.php?f=33&t=10160&start=100#p114344) I asked people to post with their email addresses if they wanted an email, because I was concerned that I might miss some if I tried to cross-check various posts/discussions. Unfortunately, it seems that you never saw that post - and I'm afraid we've not been very focused on using the weekly email to promote the northern Bootcamps, because to be honest the last thing we need is extra numbers - it's already enough of a challenge to get a place on one.

Then, as you've already seen at the start of this thread, a fortnight later I posted the email addresses I was aware of, and gave details about the time scale for booking. When we finally opened the booking link, every place was taken within a matter of hours.

We do already have a waiting list, but of course I'm happy to add your name to that list - I must be open and say that we have a very low rate of cancellations for these Bootcamps, though - so I don't think it's likely that it will help, I'm afraid.

There is a slim possibility that we might run another northern Bootcamp in the autumn, but it's still only at the faint idea stage - and ideally, we wouldn't do it until we have a more robust interest/confirmation/booking system in place.

Once again, I'm very sorry that you missed out this year, and we will be conscious of what didn't work the next time we try to get the system right so that it is fair to everyone.
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby johngwilym » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:45 pm

Diolch yn fawr iawn Aran for your most detailed response. I can well understand the complexities and frustrations of organising such popular ventures. I will need presumably to continue to check this same thread in future, in addition to reading the regular e-mails for this info. Hwyl am y tro.
johngwilym
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:50 pm

Thanks for your good-natured patience, John, much appreciated.

When we next announce dates for a northern Bootcamp, I'll make sure that we put them in the weekly email, and we'll also find some way (manual or otherwise) to collect email addresses from the very beginning...:)
Aran
SSi CEO

PreviousNext

Return to Bootcamp - Welsh in the Wild!