Jumping into another environment | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

For encouragement and inspiration

Jumping into another environment

Postby DougEwart » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:21 pm

Having had no luck in trying to set up a group meeting in Northumberland, I decided I had to try out my skills (just finished course 2) in conversation with others so I enrolled in a 3 day Easter course in Pembrokeshire. The course was geared to a different set of learning materials, but would give me the opportunity to see if I could cope as well as the others. I must admit I was worried, but I needn't have been because I found I could speak, listen and understand much much better than I had dared to hope. SSIW has given me the confidence to focus on the SOUND of the language …. I work on the principle that if it sounds OK it probably is. This meant that I didn't really have to think about whether the preceding word ended in a vowel or the next word began with one, I just said what came naturally into my head and in most cases it was correct. That really is down to the SSIW approach. I did find the reading and writing tasks more of a challenge, but by the end of the three days I was managing these quite competently too and now that I have reached this level I can see that being able to read and write will be useful in developing my command of the language as well. The other members of the course, despite their different experiences, were extremely accommodating and I was not only quickly assimilated into their group, but have made a lot of friends. I know that when I go back, I will be welcome in their walking groups and evening talking groups, but back here on the English/Scottish Border that won't be frequently. I have enjoyed the experiences provided in conversation so much I need to continue so if anyone knows of groups in Edinburgh or Newcastle please let me know.
DougEwart

Re: Jumping into another environment

Postby Aran » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:06 am

That sounds as though you did excellently, Doug...:seren:

Have you seen that we're now live on the new forum? We're only keeping this one open to post for a little longer while we make sure everyone's moved over. You can access the new forum by going to:

www.saysomethingin.com and then logging in, choosing Welsh and clicking on Ask at the top...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Return to Monthly progress reports