Would you like to help set up an International SSIW Day? | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

For the team helping to organise this annual event.

Would you like to help set up an International SSIW Day?

Postby Aran » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:15 am

This section is for developing the idea of an International SaySomethinginWelsh Day.

The idea so far is that we would encourage people to have as many conversations (anything counts, from S'mae on up!) in Welsh as possible in one day - possibly to get sponsorship to raise money for a good cause - and to let organisers know about their conversations so that we can build some kind of map of the day.

Iestyn is leading on this, and we're looking for people who would like to:

a) contribute ideas to how we put the event together

b) act as an organiser in their country (ie, help get conversations onto the map during the ISSiW Day!)

If you feel you've got something to offer in either of those ways, just click on your 'User Control Panel' link up there at the top, just underneath Board Index, then click on the 'Usergroups' tab, and you can then put a mark next to the group 'International SSIW Day' and click Submit. As soon as we confirm that, you'll then be able to post in here and contribute to the discussion...:)

We're hoping to have a trial run once we've got a good idea of the systems in place - maybe in a month or two.
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Re: Would you like to help set up an International SSIW Day?

Postby Iestyn » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:35 pm

I aim to do the SSIW thing, and let the whole day grow as organically as possible, so your ideas run it!

You don't have to be a great organiser bursting with ideas (although if you are, you're more than welcome). You don't need to commit to anything either. What we need is people enthusiasm for the Welsh language who can help spread the SSIW word.

The back bone of the ISSiW idea is that we have as many Welsh conversations going on around the world as possible in the day, and that we are able to record those numbers somewhere so that we can say at midnight on the international dateline "We've had this many Welsh conversations today." It would be great if we could also do something useful in a financial sense by finding some way to turn that into cash for a charity or some charities throughout the world.

An idea mentioned by Aran to me earlier was that we have some intercontinental conversations - by skype or other means. A few conversations between the USA and Europe, for instance. Maybe we could even look at a "round the world" conversation, where Wales phones England, who phones the USA, who phones China, who phones Afghanistan... you get the picture?

Laena mentioned elsewhere on the board preparing some Welsh recipes and sharing the SSIW message that way - a few restaurant Welsh phrases to back up the SSIW lessons would make that a roaring success.

So, who's up for helping us with ideas, organisation, recipes, technical know-how, or visas so that I can fly to every SSIW country in the world in 24 hours? (Its alright, I'm not looking for one person to do all of that!)

Who's able to think of a little (or huge) idea that would work in their "neck of the woods"?

Thinking caps on, please!
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby elatha » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:47 pm

You know you have my total support--and I'll try and round up as many friends as I can. Spreading the word via social networks isn't a bad idea either.

Skype is definitely the best way to have convos around the world. You could have 50 people hooked up and all chatting away. A bit noisy, so groups would undoubtedly be smaller, but it's certainly possible.

I haven't thought of an other ideas yet. But I will keep trying!

As I've said (but for the general SSIW members to know....) I'm happy to help with things in Melbourne, Australia. If anyone else is interested in doing something in Aus, please let me know so we can co-operate in organising things.
elatha

Postby Aran » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:12 pm

:star:
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby RobertBruce » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:26 pm

How about a Skype chain around the world? The idea would be that we would organise a list of SSIWers as widely geographically distributed as possible and then the first (Aran, maybe) calls the second person on the list, has a brief conversation about cats falling down stairs or whatever, and then hands the conversation over. The second person then calls the third on the list exchanges a few sentences and then in turn hands the conversation over, and so on down the list until maybe it ends hours later with Iestyn.

This way we could get potentially hundreds of people involved in a very long, very widespread and very impressive conversation and not have it too taxing or time-consuming or too intimidating for anyone. We'd get a great-looking map out of it, too.

What does anyone think? I wonder if Skype would sponsor (or at least publicise) it?
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel

Postby Iestyn » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:07 pm

Ooh, yes, Skype support.

I like that idea, Rob, and the chain as well - Aran could send me a message... :lol:

That is a good headline grabber (especially if Skype could be involved), as long as the logistics could be worked out. A 5 or 6 link "chain" might be an easier solution - do you think that would lose its newsworthiness? I'm thinking that the occasional exotic location in amongst the links would be enough for the Welsh media, but what about worldwide?

Now here's something that Dee suggested - International Mother tongue day (IMTD), the end of February. How about we try to get something small up for then, not as ISSiW, but as a celebration of Welsh for IMTD.

A few worldwide conversations / practice sessions / videos of learners in action etc. Its a nice way to get some people together, and will give us the chance to try some ideas out.

Boys awake and needing attention now, so , more to follow!
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby Sionned » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:53 pm

The Skype chain idea could be kept going longer if it started, say, in Australia and moved around the world with the time zones, perhaps ending in Hawaii?
Please do read the forum guidelines - they're very short!
And let me know where you live, and I'll put you on the map!
Sionned
SSiW Angel

Postby Aran » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:21 pm

Fascinating idea, Rob.

I'm concerned that as part of International SSiW day, it might add a layer of complexity that would prove a little cumbersome.

But I think it's a brilliant standalone idea - as you say, perhaps tied in with Skype for a promotional event - and maybe aiming at making the link go through as many different countries as possible?

The IMTD might be a good hook to help get Skype interested...
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Dee » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:33 pm

There is a Facebook site dedicated to International Mother Tongue Day, so I posted there about SSiW and I've been contacted by the organiser. They are setting up a "translation marathon" for the day, plus promoting other events that are being held. For the marathon, they have asked if I will supply them with a list of Welsh words and the English translations that they will then put into 2 games that they offer free on this Educational games website http://edu.kde.org/

I was thinking perhaps the best list to sort of tie it into SSiW but without compromising the "listen and speak first" principle, would be to give them the words that have been used on DailyWelshWords. Then on our Facebook site and on the Twitter page we could promote the game site for people that want to play the games to help them remember the words. What do others think?
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby elatha » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:26 pm

An organised Skype chain might be a might complex, yes. Plus it means people can't just pop in and out as they please. At the same idea it'd be impressive.... hmmm....

Maybe you could have small chains of people calling each other and doing 'round robbins'. It'd give people a chance to listen to others speaking Welsh without actually participating in the conversation--and then joining in a few lines later.

Games--awesome idea. I love games. You could always make a 5-minute "here's how you pronounce the stuff for the games..." lesson that people do first, then play the games. Then perhaps more beginners could get involved as well, as they don't need to have done certain Beginner lessons. Another few ideas :)
elatha

Next

Return to International SaySomethinginWelsh Day