WELL .......... !!! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: WELL .......... !!!

Postby Gruntius » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:59 pm

Another fantastic success story, well done Colette. It really is good for everyone's morale when we read about one of our own reaching the "Welsh speaker" landmark.

Thank you for sharing.

:seren:
Doing the Gog thingy.

"The_drummist" on Skype if you fancy a chat.

A little bit of my past life ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEhh2dCQYg
Gruntius
SSiW Member

Postby JeanB » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:49 pm

Longyfarchiadau Colette. That's brilliant. Looking forward to meeting up with you again soon and will enjoy practising speaking Welsh with you.

:star:
Please feel free to correct my mistakes. Diolch!
JeanB
SSiW Member

Postby MikeEllwood » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:20 pm

Plus, the people of Wales had better get used to them, cos SSiW is coming...!

Love this! :D
Northern: Flirting with C3

O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau
MikeEllwood

Postby Colettet » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:05 pm

A final update .... just got back to Liverpool after a brilliant three weeks in Glynarthen and ..... I did OK after the initial disaster at Arwen Teifi !!

1. I had the conversation referred to above plus a couple of others with Sarah. That was great because she did correct words that I wasn't saying quite right and ... gave me new vocabulary like .... "I have come to pay for the gas bottle" ........ and lots of other, probably more useful words and phrases :D

2. I met with Janet Copeland .. a fellow SSiWer and at the same stage as me and ... we had a "go" and ... we had a nice morning and a good laugh.

3. I spoke to the owner of Brondesbury Garden Centre in Aberteifi .... he was VERY patient but we managed a chat about bird food and feeding the birds and my need to buy dog food.

4. I spoke to the owner of Llwynhelyg Farm shop abut cheese and cakes and what a nice day it was.

5. I spoke briefly, to the lady behind the fish counter in Tesco about learning Welsh and as I was buying salmon I learned about eog.

SO ... all in all not bad. All quite brief, still very "stuttery" .... I need to think too hard as I am putting sentences together, and ... my comprehension still isn't good but the fear of entering into a conversation definitely receded as I had a go. However .... I have my Skype conversation with my ffrinDaith partner tomorrow so the "fear" is creeping back again :lol:

Thanks again SSiW ... can't quite believe I am speaking Welsh :dance:
Thanks to everyone for their help. Course 2 -- just started lesson 21
Colettet
SSiW Member

Location: Liverpool mainly but part of the year in Glynarthen

Postby SJ » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:46 pm

Llongyfarchiadau Collete! :clap:

Being confidence enough to just have a go and speak Welsh is half the battle and its sounds like you've won!

Your "stuttery-ness" and need to think a lot will lessen with time as your language skills improve further and speaking with your "Ffrindiaith" and as much listening practice as possible outside SSiW (Radio Cymru/S4C) as others have suggested will really help.

Pob lwc! :D
Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Please read the forum guidelines - they're short and sweet!
Put up a poster - Spread the word!
Follow me on Twitter @Cymraes24
SSiW Cardiff Coffee Morning - 3rd Saturday of every month at Coffee #1, Wood Street, Cardiff
SSIW Cardiff Weekly meet-up - Every Monday evening, 7pm Mochyn Du
SJ
Gorsedd SSiW

Previous

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind