Diolch yn fawr Rhuthun | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Diolch yn fawr Rhuthun

Postby Llawen » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:19 pm

After a fabulous time at the Eisteddfod, where everyone was extremely helpful to a couple of timid English speakers, I was moved to resurrect my half-hearted attempts to speak Welsh. (I haven't spoken any since leaving Prifysgol Aberystwyth in 1994 and moving abroad). After three lessons with SSiW and a dictionary I managed to do my shopping in Rhuthun completely in the medium of Welsh. The shopkeepers were fabulous, speaking slowly and repeating sentences correctly when I had made a mistake, but never breaking the flow of Welsh. The baker and the woman at the Post Office were especially helpful with money, as I hadn't learnt my numbers over 10. A fantastic learning experience that has really bolstered my confidence to take Welsh further. Now wondering how I can keep the impetus going when I return to North London next week.
Llawen

Re: Diolch yn fawr Rhuthun

Postby JeanB » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:24 pm

That's brilliant, particularly after only 3 lessons! There is no looking back now! I'm sure continuing the lessons will keep the impetus going until your next opportunity to have a conversation.You may also find there is a Chat group nearby for you to join.
Da iawn i ti!
:smile:
Please feel free to correct my mistakes. Diolch!
JeanB
SSiW Member

Postby Tahl » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:32 pm

Llawen wrote:Now wondering how I can keep the impetus going when I return to North London next week.

With SSIW, and this forum, and the London Welsh Centre. :star:

Llawen wrote:The baker and the woman at the Post Office were especially helpful with money, as I hadn't learnt my numbers over 10.

Since lots of first-language speakers do numbers and money in English, mixing Welsh and English that way is as natural as can be.

Croeso, and sounds like a great week re-entering the Welsh-speaking world. :D
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby leiafee » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Ruthun had gone to town almost as much as Denbigh with Eisteddfod decorations and things I noticed. Lovely lovely town. There were maps kicking around as well of which businesses had Welsh speakers.
leiafee
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:03 pm

Welcome to the forum, Laurence - if you've got the bravery to jump into using your Welsh in the wild like that, you've definitely got all it takes to end up a very confident Welsh speaker, wherever you live...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind