Roller Derby Cymraeg | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Roller Derby Cymraeg

Postby RoushAH » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:45 pm

Well, I announced a derby tournament in Llanelli last weekend. I did bits in Welsh, not enough to put off the 90% English audience, but enough to get applause out of the few locals that were there.

Things like "Pum munud i ddarby, prynnu eich cwrw nawr!" and "Mae'r bawt nesaf rhung Lundain a Middlesbrough ar fin dechrau."

Then, when I was done, I was waiting for the cab outside. A young man came up to me and said "sori, siarad Cymraeg?" (Iestyn was right, the apologizing about speaking Welsh thing is a bit silly.)

Anyhow, we had a lovely chat about learning the language and using it for the sport. It was my first real "Welsh-in-the-wild" moment. It was fun!
--Adam
roller derby's Stat Man, wearing a symbol of Wales to every bout since 2011.
All corrections welcome! Thanks!
RoushAH
SSiW Member

Re: Roller Derby Cymraeg

Postby Dee » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:38 pm

Llongyfarchiadau mawrion mawr Adam!! You not only used your Welsh 'in the wild' but you did it in such a public way. You just took a huge stride forward. I was talking to someone at the Eisteddfod who confessed they'd been learning Welsh for 25 years and they didn't have the confidence you have! :clap:
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Re: Roller Derby Cymraeg

Postby llanddinol » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:16 pm

i have been learning welsh with Coleg Gwent since September 2007 and have found that when you ask people do they speak Welsh they are willing to talk to you.
I keep bees and the local bee inspector came to inspect my hives. I asked him where he came from and when he said Cardiff dweudais i wrtho fe " dych chi'n siarad Cymraeg" ac wedyn dyn ni'n siarad yn Gymraeg am ddwy awr a haner. although Welsh is his first language I was able to tell him lots of words in connection with beekeeping that he did not know. I also ring a company in N Wales to order items because I know I can use Welsh. The lady recognises me and is happy to let me practice.

If you don't ask and say you want to use Welsh then you will improve only very slowly if at all. I have found first language Welsh speakers are always willing to help when they hear you speaking their language.
llanddinol
SSiW Member

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind