My first time; clumsy and awkward but fun | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

My first time; clumsy and awkward but fun

Postby gerpsych » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:03 pm

Hi,

I had quite an eventful day today. I was volunteering at a local event which was being held to raise money in our area for the Urdd. I had the exciting job of manning the car park and had to struggle hard not to let the power and authority go to my head. However, it was my task to greet folk and give them basic info and directions on where to go.

Fortunately the sun was out and everyone was in talkative form. I managed to have short, inelegant, clumsy (and probably grating on the ear) but REAL conversations. Nobody dropped back into English even when I was having difficulties and slowed down, they were patient and repetition, hand gestures and rephrasing got me through.

I'm in the latter third of course two and I had heard the phrase "you have all the grammer you need now". At the time I can remember laughing at that but in all honesty it is true. There were enough structures that, even with a limited vocabulary, I could receive and give information accurately enough. I am sure the nature of the event helped as it would be just plain wrong to have had to drop into saesneg.

However, where I live the majority speak and live in Welsh and it was wonderful to take part in a community event and be made to feel part of it.

Cheers

Alan

PS - we raised enough money to meet our target.
-- The beatings will not stop until morale improves --
gerpsych
SSiW Member

Re: My first time; clumsy and awkward but fun

Postby Iestyn » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:30 pm

Welcome to being a Welsh Speaker Alan!

This is not some throw -away "big up the learner" line - this is the real thing. The fact that no-one turned to English "to help you" suggests to me that your accent / speed of speech is better than you think. :star: All your hard work is really paying off.

And now, you are a fully paid up member of your local Welsh speaking community.

:clap: :dance: :party:

:seren:
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby dinas » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:39 pm

Fatastic! :clap:
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

Postby Tahl » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:49 pm

That seems like a pretty high-stress job to have taken on, too, so doubly good that it went well. Although they wouldn't have assigned you to it if they didn't think your Welsh was up to the task, so that suggests Iestyn's right. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby Aran » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:51 am

That is a fantastic result, Alan - many, many congratulations...:seren:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby sumsmeister » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:10 am

And the best part was - you enjoyed it! Well done, Alan!
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby lilitiger2 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:13 pm

As a beginner I just wanted to say how much I appreciate when people post stories like this! It is VERY encouraging. I listen to radio cymru, and a LOT of welsh music (my passion) and am very excited when I can understand a word or two. So, it is great to hear of successes like this. Diolch.
lilitiger2
SSiW Member

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind